Then vs Now

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

what better place to do it!

I was thinking what an ironic place but what you said also....😀

33 minutes ago, Stu said:

So, it is the performance aspects which are praised along with the interpretation of the recipient, not the intent of the designers, that matters in the final outcome.

In this particular case the designers put in a wink wink nod to fun fun youth sexual promiscuity, entitled the show Core of Temptation, and made the bite out of the apple fun. No sane person can deny that. In the grand scheme it was far from over the top but still it was there. And as long as we the recipients put that in the backdrop and praise the multitude of other performace aspects that makes it fine. Ok let's go with that premise.

To be consistent, again to be consistent, that premise must apply to other art and media entertainment which utilize youth besides fun fun wink drum corps. As long as a person watching a movie on the internet is deriving entertainment from the cinematography, from the musical score, from the acting, etc, and placing the rated R type of fun promiscuous sex with youth females, action which certainly does objectify young women, as long as the recipient places it in the backdrop of their interpretation, that makes it ok. Note that rated R, not X, does utilize youth in very compromising sexual situations and promotes that as acceptably fun.

Again, consistency of your premise of putting it in the backdrop utilized for drum corps means it has to apply to youth performing outside of wink wink drum corps.

Then you must now start a social media campaign calling out every show in DCI history that may have done this back to 1972 to force change and a mass apology. In fact, I am sure VK and Bayonne would offend pretty much every year in some way, and even BD in 14 with Felini as that young man doing the scene from the movie could be interpreted as making fun of the physically afflicted. Cavies with Propoganda for making fun of the political candidates as well as 17 for man shaming. Of course you mentioned Suncoast 84, I am sure you could find something in their 87 show to call out as well...heck both of the Florida Suites could probably offended someone.

Oh heavens, Cavies 91 and Cadets 12...the Christmas shows....offensive to non Christians? Boston 17....witch craft? Oh don't forget Crown 13 and their love story. Every WSS ever done...ethnic fighting! Especially Bayonne 80...they had the South win the Civil War! Spirit 90 with the Gone with the Wind and Color Purple...promoting slavery right?  Crossmen a few years ago with the Gypsies...oh Crowns wild west show...violence and some wink wink nod nod during Roxanne!

I could go on and if I truly wanted to, but do you now see how ludicrous this is?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was thinking what an ironic place but what you said also....😀

I think all of the pastors at that lovely church know us both by now, and realize there's only so much they can do with us LOL

• Haha 1

One of the DCA Class A Texas corps did a 1968 style show about 10 years back. Will have to look to see if that was controversial. Only remember tie dyed shirts and the mini corps (different name?) played some Friday night.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You're not alone; Molly Ringwald herself has written about that very subject.

"If I sound overly critical, it’s only with hindsight. Back then, I was only vaguely aware of how inappropriate much of John [Hughes]’s writing was, given my limited experience and what was considered normal at the time."

Much more here:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/what-about-the-breakfast-club-molly-ringwald-metoo-john-hughes-pretty-in-pink

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Then you must now start a social media campaign calling out every show in DCI history that may have done this back to 1972 to force change and a mass apology. In fact, I am sure VK and Bayonne would offend pretty much every year in some way, and even BD in 14 with Felini as that young man doing the scene from the movie could be interpreted as making fun of the physically afflicted. Cavies with Propoganda for making fun of the political candidates as well as 17 for man shaming. Of course you mentioned Suncoast 84, I am sure you could find something in their 87 show to call out as well...heck both of the Florida Suites could probably offended someone.

Oh heavens, Cavies 91 and Cadets 12...the Christmas shows....offensive to non Christians? Boston 17....witch craft? Oh don't forget Crown 13 and their love story. Every WSS ever done...ethnic fighting! Especially Bayonne 80...they had the South win the Civil War! Spirit 90 with the Gone with the Wind and Color Purple...promoting slavery right?  Crossmen a few years ago with the Gypsies...oh Crowns wild west show...violence and some wink wink nod nod during Roxanne!

I could go on and if I truly wanted to, but do you now see how ludicrous this is?

Jeff. You accuse me of jumping into hyperbole then post this diatribe. Please click on the link thankfully provided by Brigand and read it, really really read it. Molly Ringwald states what I am getting at so very well. Once you contemplate what she wrote, please also address your thoughts of it here on this forum.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Jeff. You accuse me of jumping into hyperbole then post this diatribe. Please click on the link thankfully provided by Brigand and read it, really really read it. Molly Ringwald states what I am getting at so very well. Once you contemplate what she wrote, please also address your thoughts of it here on this forum.

i am pointing out to you the craziness of your stance and the can of worms it could open so that the uber PC crowd could descend upon drum corps like they have...I mean someone got offended and made a stink over Charlie Browns Christmas special a few months ago. 

I did read the link thank you. No need to counsel me on what to do or not do. Having read it, I think there's no more need for me to type my thoughts as I have already made them pretty clear. 

21 hours ago, Stu said:

That is a yes it was appropriate and ok from LabMaster.

I guess you can say it is a Yes.  a BIG YES.  To view and interpret the show as you did, tells me something about you.   In my opinion you cannot be any more way off in this show than you present.  IMO it was not about sex or promiscuity at all, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.  If you view Core of Temptation that way there are a probably number of shows through the years, that have more skin showing and more body movement you might consider sexually suggestive or whatever other ultra conservative POV that may guide your opinion.  Is your concern only with this show and that is was females?  Do you have the same opinion when there are males showing as much skin and doing the same movement?  I guess I can't wrap my head around why this was so offensive and I can't wrap my head around how you came to view it as a sex show.  A show about Eve and Temptation might not have been as understood or entertaining in a Burka.  And coming in 7th that year tells me it was accepted by a number of people.  But then that's my humble opinion.

16 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I guess you can say it is a Yes.  a BIG YES.  To view and interpret the show as you did, tells me something about you.   In my opinion you cannot be any more way off in this show than you present.  IMO it was not about sex or promiscuity at all, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.  If you view Core of Temptation that way there are a probably number of shows through the years, that have more skin showing and more body movement you might consider sexually suggestive or whatever other ultra conservative POV that may guide your opinion.  Is your concern only with this show and that is was females?  Do you have the same opinion when there are males showing as much skin and doing the same movement?  I guess I can't wrap my head around why this was so offensive and I can't wrap my head around how you came to view it as a sex show.  A show about Eve and Temptation might not have been as understood or entertaining in a Burka.  And coming in 7th that year tells me it was accepted by a number of people.  But then that's my humble opinion.

well ya know, Eve was actually less dressed than the performers in Bostons show. Just sayin

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am pointing out to you the craziness of your stance and the can of worms it could open so that the uber PC crowd could descend upon drum corps like they have...I mean someone got offended and made a stink over Charlie Browns Christmas special a few months ago. 

I did read the link thank you. No need to counsel me on what to do or not do. Having read it, I think there's no more need for me to type my thoughts as I have already made them pretty clear. 

While I disagree with you, I have not nor will I go personal, only point out that: a) I have reevaluated my position just like Molly Ringwald and have changed my view just like she has; not that Breakfast Club is a horrible movie, quite the opposite it is brilliant, but it did in fact present youth sex as a fun positive and that is wrong; b) You just posted that you do not want the PC crowd to hurt drum corps more by reviewing shows you find enduring (like the VK sex cymbals); c) that in turn explains the viscral reaction you just had to me asking you, not commanding, not dictating, but merely asking to really really read what Molly Ringwald wrote so that you could better understand my position; and d) your own prievious posting states that if youthful promiscuous situations are done in a playful manner within a movie, or in the case of an activity like DCI involving youth, no problem with you. Again, no personal attack on you, but we do stand in two different places.