Then vs Now

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

While I disagree with you, I have not nor will I go personal, only point out that: a) I have reevaluated my position just like Molly Ringwald and have changed my view just like she has; not that Breakfast Club is a horrible movie, quite the opposite it is brilliant, but it did in fact present youth sex as a fun positive and that is wrong; b) You just posted that you do not want the PC crowd to hurt drum corps more by reviewing shows you find enduring (like the VK sex cymbals); c) that in turn explains the viscral reaction you just had to me asking you, not commanding, not dictating, but merely asking to really really read what Molly Ringwald wrote so that you could better understand my position; and d) your own prievious posting states that if youthful promiscuous situations are done in a playful manner within a movie, or in the case of an activity like DCI involving youth, no problem with you. Again, no personal attack on you, but we do stand in two different places.

I think we do need to be careful about how we use this word promiscuous imo. There was a time if a girl even approached a guy she was considered promiscuous. If a woman wore certain clothing, she was considered promiscuous,  If she was an unwed mother, she was considered promiscuous... Which to me were all quite silly IMO.

I do find it priceless that other posters /poster ( not you)( was pointing out in their opinion ( which is fine ) all the evils of these types of shows YET defended an alleged predator and possible rapist. THAT for them was to be given the benefit of the doubt BUT slammed the hammer down on corps shows.....PRICELESS!

I think your stance and opinion was a bit easier to understand if one agrees or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I guess you can say it is a Yes.  a BIG YES.  To view and interpret the show as you did, tells me something about you.   In my opinion you cannot be any more way off in this show than you present.  IMO it was not about sex or promiscuity at all, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion.  If you view Core of Temptation that way there are a probably number of shows through the years, that have more skin showing and more body movement you might consider sexually suggestive or whatever other ultra conservative POV that may guide your opinion.  Is your concern only with this show and that is was females?  Do you have the same opinion when there are males showing as much skin and doing the same movement?  I guess I can't wrap my head around why this was so offensive and I can't wrap my head around how you came to view it as a sex show.  A show about Eve and Temptation might not have been as understood or entertaining in a Burka.  And coming in 7th that year tells me it was accepted by a number of people.  But then that's my humble opinion.

49 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well ya know, Eve was actually less dressed than the performers in Bostons show. Just sayin

I will try and make this very simple: Core of Temptation was a well written and performed show. It was very enjoyable on multiple levels from the  overall asthetic to the well constructed minutia. Same holds true for the movies Molly Ringwald referenced. And I am not saying otherwise. And I will watch it again just like Breakfast Club because there are great wonderful aspects in the productions.

However, the Core design placed the bite out if the apple in the context of a positive, as a fun playful experience, as a wink to what transpired afterward was actually opening the door to fun frolic behavior. This in contrast of what it really did within the actual story which was releasing pain, suffering, death, distruction, et all into the world.

Jeff noted Eve being unclothed and used that as poking fun; but he failed to note that after the innonce was was relinquished and sin let loose via the apple bite, she then clothed herself quickly. The fact that art glorifies the bite, and sees it as a way to enjoy youthful promiscuity, is also a byproduct of what that bite let loose. And for the longest time I was blinded to that.

Edited by Stu

Stu, we love ya... we really do. And I, for one, enjoy not only your sense of humor, but also the unique perspective you bring to various issues. It certainly provides food for thought. 

But in my nearly 61 years on this planet, I have never met anyone who is better than you at taking a paragraph, or a sentence, or a phrase, or just a single word, and beating it so far into the ground that it resurfaces in China. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think we do need to be careful about how we use this word promiscuous imo. There was a time if a girl even approached a guy she was considered promiscuous. If a woman wore certain clothing, she was considered promiscuous,  If she was an unwed mother, she was considered promiscuous... Which to me were all quite silly IMO.

I do find it priceless that other posters /poster ( not you)( was pointing out in their opinion ( which is fine ) all the evils of these types of shows YET defended an alleged predator and possible rapist. THAT for them was to be given the benefit of the doubt BUT slammed the hammer down on corps shows.....PRICELESS!

I think your stance and opinion was a bit easier to understand if one agrees or not.

I agree with you in that the opposite direction is just as detrimental. I am afraid that we are entering a time period where if I say to a woman, "That dress compliments you", and she interprets that as a sexual advance, I might be facing civil action. But please read what I just posted about the artistic view on the bite out of the apple. It explains more in depth my views on not wanting to tolerate sexual objectification and youthful fun promiscuity any more in the name of entertainment or art.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

I will try and make this very simple: Core of Temptation was a well written and performed show. It was very enjoyable on multiple levels from the  overall asthetic to the well constructed minutia. Same holds true for the movies Molly Ringwald referenced. And I am not saying otherwise. And I will watch it again just like Breakfast Club because there are great wonderful aspects in the productions.

However, the Core design placed the bite out if the apple in the context of a positive, as a fun playful experience, as a wink to what transpired afterward was actually opening the door to fun frolic behavior. This in contrast of what it really did within the actual story which was releasing pain, suffering, death, distruction, et all into the world.

Jeff noted Eve being unclothed and used that as poking fun; but he failed to note that after the innonce was was relinquished and sin let loose via the apple bite, she then clothed herself quickly. The fact that art glorifies the bite, and sees it as a way to enjoy youthful promiscuity, is also a byproduct of what that bite let loose. And for the longest time I was blinded to that.

Youre also assuming on the Eve thing that everyone even believes the story . Maybe that doesn't matter, maybe it does..just a thought. Maybe it's just about the premise of the story , believed or not

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

Well, this thread shouldn't bother you much longer Stu, since my crystal ball has a mod doing their thing in the near future.

*eyebrow*

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree with you in that the opposite direction is just as detrimental. I am afraid that we are entering a time period where if I say to a woman, "That dress compliments you", and she interprets that as a sexual advance, I might be facing civil action. But please read what I just posted about the artistic view on the bite out of the apple. It explains more in depth my views on not wanting to tolerate sexual objectification and youthful fun promiscuity any more in the name of entertainment or art.

I think you're right about today's times and how careful we need to be in all aspects ( I have my own opinions on that but thats another topic ) I do get what your point is.

I often some times wonder, take 50 shades for Gray...please let's not debate that movie )..lol..at one point I think it was doing everything you said to women..after watching it and seeing the sequel or even by the end of the movie, I thought OMG this woman is the one in charge and playing this guy...just an opinion

Edited by GUARDLING

30 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I was thinking of it was a call for turning back the clock on color guard. Full uniforms so bodies covered up and no vocals so no metoo squawking 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

While I disagree with you, I have not nor will I go personal, only point out that: a) I have reevaluated my position just like Molly Ringwald and have changed my view just like she has; not that Breakfast Club is a horrible movie, quite the opposite it is brilliant, but it did in fact present youth sex as a fun positive and that is wrong; b) You just posted that you do not want the PC crowd to hurt drum corps more by reviewing shows you find enduring (like the VK sex cymbals); c) that in turn explains the viscral reaction you just had to me asking you, not commanding, not dictating, but merely asking to really really read what Molly Ringwald wrote so that you could better understand my position; and d) your own prievious posting states that if youthful promiscuous situations are done in a playful manner within a movie, or in the case of an activity like DCI involving youth, no problem with you. Again, no personal attack on you, but we do stand in two different places.

i point out the PC crowd because now, the tiniest thing can become blown up into a huge issue that in the reality of the world we live in....is stupid. I bring up Charlie Brown Christmas and the outrage because someone was offneded because there was only one African American child in the cartoon. It was written 40+ years ago, and times were vastly different. 

Personally my views are pretty liberal when it comes to your examples, even while knowing you're going for over reach on your examples listed...hence why I threw multiple other examples back at you.....which of of course you avoided and tried to twist, dodge, duck, parry and thrust away from. I'm the guy that listens to Howard Stern, but regularly attends church every week. 

I understand your position....i also think you're making a mountain out of a molehill as you are often wont to do. 

44 minutes ago, Stu said:

it's not drum corps place to solve societal issues. If you want to get literal...Boston was retelling a religious story in a different way. So if anything, Boston was forcing religion on people using your approach. So was it playful, or forcing Christianity on people?