Then vs Now

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

I agree with you in that the opposite direction is just as detrimental. I am afraid that we are entering a time period where if I say to a woman, "That dress compliments you", and she interprets that as a sexual advance, I might be facing civil action. But please read what I just posted about the artistic view on the bite out of the apple. It explains more in depth my views on not wanting to tolerate sexual objectification and youthful fun promiscuity any more in the name of entertainment or art.

I complimented my wifes choice of attire this morning. i was told in no uncertain terms she felt it made her look fat. Men can't win no matter what they do

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Stu, we love ya... we really do. And I, for one, enjoy not only your sense of humor, but also the unique perspective you bring to various issues. It certainly provides food for thought. 

But in my nearly 61 years on this planet, I have never met anyone who is better than you at taking a paragraph, or a sentence, or a phrase, or just a single word, and beating it so far into the ground that it resurfaces in China. :tongue:

It is off-season; and I tend to spark how many pages of comments by various posters? So...... :bleah:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I complimented my wifes choice of attire this morning. i was told in no uncertain terms she felt it made her look fat. Men can't win no matter what they do

Try doing something outside of work with someone who works in your building. “I’d like to say how nice you look but you could write my ### up.... so I won’t “..... 😋

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i point out the PC crowd because now, the tiniest thing can become blown up into a huge issue that in the reality of the world we live in....is stupid. I bring up Charlie Brown Christmas and the outrage because someone was offneded because there was only one African American child in the cartoon. It was written 40+ years ago, and times were vastly different. 

Personally my views are pretty liberal when it comes to your examples, even while knowing you're going for over reach on your examples listed...hence why I threw multiple other examples back at you.....which of of course you avoided and tried to twist, dodge, duck, parry and thrust away from. I'm the guy that listens to Howard Stern, but regularly attends church every week. 

I understand your position....i also think you're making a mountain out of a molehill as you are often wont to do. 

I am with you on the fear of absurd PC police curtailing our speech to the point where we can have no artistic expression, no compliments, etc. Covering up the Statue of David should never occur!!  But that is far from what I have been saying about cultural acceptance of sexual entendres geared toward our youth.

You see it (these cultural entertainment and acceptances) as a molehill, that is your view and I respect it. I however have come to see this as a rather huge mountain. One in which people who create commercial art, music, performace not only disguise as a molehill, but say to us the mountian is actually nothing more than comical illusion.

I volunteer as an assistant youth director at our church. Let's say I sat down with the teenagers and we watched all the VK shows which have cameras focused on the young, youth, female cymbals and me telling them poudly, "Yeah, we all love those sex cymbals!!", or for that matter watching the entire Core of Temptation as a 'positive bite' out of the apple. How would that bode well for me as an adult mentor presenting it that way to teenagers? That gut reaction would tell 'me' whether or not it is acceptable in 'any' youth activity. You seem to believe differently, and that is your prerogative.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

While I disagree with you, I have not nor will I go personal, only point out that: a) I have reevaluated my position just like Molly Ringwald and have changed my view just like she has; not that Breakfast Club is a horrible movie, quite the opposite it is brilliant, but it did in fact present youth sex as a fun positive and that is wrong; b) You just posted that you do not want the PC crowd to hurt drum corps more by reviewing shows you find enduring (like the VK sex cymbals); c) that in turn explains the viscral reaction you just had to me asking you, not commanding, not dictating, but merely asking to really really read what Molly Ringwald wrote so that you could better understand my position; and d) your own prievious posting states that if youthful promiscuous situations are done in a playful manner within a movie, or in the case of an activity like DCI involving youth, no problem with you. Again, no personal attack on you, but we do stand in two different places.

I understand what you are getting at and I wholeheartedly disagree with your ultra conservative view.  It is YOUR opinion and it seem to be yours alone or with only a few aligned with you, that Boston's show "Core of temptation" is,  in your view,   a show about youthful promiscuity?  This is funny.  And to reference Molly Ringwald who did a nude scene when she was 27?  So maybe she was beyond youthful and not quite promiscuous?  I am sorry you are so offended.  But I believe your are wrong.

18 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I understand what you are getting at and I wholeheartedly disagree with your ultra conservative view.  It is YOUR opinion and it seem to be yours alone or with only a few aligned with you, that Boston's show "Core of temptation" is,  in your view,   a show about youthful promiscuity?  This is funny.  And to reference Molly Ringwald who did a nude scene when she was 27?  So maybe she was beyond youthful and not quite promiscuous?  I am sorry you are so offended.  But I believe your are wrong.

Fine, but note I have not gotten pi#### off by any other views; in fact I have stated more than once I respect and will fight for the views which offend me to stay free. Yet the viseral bristling from those who disagree are very telling on who is and who is not more accepting of opposite opinion.

Edited by Stu

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

I am with you on the fear of absurd PC police curtailing our speech to the point where we can have no artistic expression, no compliments, etc. Covering up the Statue of David should never occur!!  But that is far from what I have been saying about cultural acceptance of sexual entendres geared toward our youth.

You see it (these cultural entertainment and acceptances) as a molehill, that is your view and I respect it. I however have come to see this as a rather huge mountain. One in which people who create commercial art, music, performace not only disguise as a molehill, but say to us the mountian is actually nothing more than comical illusion.

I volunteer as an assistant youth director at our church. Let's say I sat down with the teenagers and we watched all the VK shows which have cameras focused on the young, youth, female cymbals and me telling them poudly, "Yeah, we all love those sex cymbals!!", or for that matter watching the entire Core of Temptation as a 'positive bite' out of the apple. How would that bode well for me as an adult mentor presenting it that way to teenagers? That gut reaction would tell 'me' whether or not it is acceptable in 'any' youth activity. You seem to believe differently, and that is your prerogative.

I see your example as a molehill, as you willingly ignored other examples I presented because they didn't fit your agenda. If I found something to be offensive, I have no issue saying so. In fact I'm more likely to reach out to the corps directly than rant about it on here. 

Now...do we know that the young lady taking the bite was over 18 or not? Different ball game there, but of course you overlook that as well. But it's ok, sometimes watching you twist, dodge, spin, parry, thrust your way out of being called out on stuff is half the entertainment value

10 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I forgot she had done that. Funny how she is now offended by the stuff she did as a teenager

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I see your example as a molehill, as you willingly ignored other examples I presented because they didn't fit your agenda. If I found something to be offensive, I have no issue saying so. In fact I'm more likely to reach out to the corps directly than rant about it on here. 

Now...do we know that the young lady taking the bite was over 18 or not? Different ball game there, but of course you overlook that as well. But it's ok, sometimes watching you twist, dodge, spin, parry, thrust your way out of being called out on stuff is half the entertainment value

Here is a challange to all posters. Set down with the youth at your church, youth at the community center, youth in the band room, both male and female, and maybe a few parents, and watch videos of those young females in the VK cymbal line. Proudly tell the youth in the room that you really admire those sex cymblals. And do refer to them in that manner. Then come back here and inform us that was a comfortable situation for ya. That will inform your gut if this is acceptable or not.

Then we can discuss the shows I am being accudes of ignoring.

Edited by Stu

On 2/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, Jeff Ream said:

if the kids didn't like it, they didn't have to march. And knowing a few that marched it, they loved it. I know someone that turned down a chance at a ring because they hated the show when it was announced and quit. I know someone else that turned down a ring because they would have had to cut their hair

I agree with Jeff. Suncoast 1984 is certainly acquired taste, but I loved it. Even if I hadn't I would not have made a scene. I can understand the argument that designers and entertainers should be realistic enough to know that they may get booed. Not everyone will like the design or performance.  I have always had a policy to not boo or gripe loudly in the stands.  My review of the show may be critical, and I will try to explain myself as best I can; but I also want to show respect for the performers and designers.  For me at least, I attend for both enjoyment purposes and to support the performers and their hard work. 

• Like 1