Then vs Now

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree with Jeff. Suncoast 1984 is certainly acquired taste, but I loved it. Even if I hadn't I would not have made a scene. I can understand the argument that designers and entertainers should be realistic enough to know that they may get booed. Not everyone will like the design or performance.  I have always had a policy to not boo or gripe loudly in the stands.  My review of the show may be critical, and I will try to explain myself as best I can; but I also want to show respect for the performers and designers.  For me at least, I attend for both enjoyment purposes and to support the performers and their hard work. 

Do you realize how close that year was to the actual pullout year of the Vietnam war, that DCI at that time still had many VFW members in the stands, including Vietnam Vets who were booed, hissed at, rocks thrown at, by the very ones that show partially glorified as being peace lovers?  That has to, must be, placed in the narritive to understand the design reaction.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do you realize how close that year was to the actual pullout year of the Vietnam war, that DCI at that time still had many VFW members in the stands, including Vietnam Vets who were booed, hissed at, rocks thrown at, by the very ones that show partially glorified as being peace lovers?  That has to, must be, placed in the narritive to understand the design reaction.

Didn’t see the show but my thought was way too close to end of the war not to expect negative reactions. And not thinking VFW or AL members as much as families that were affected (including Jeff’s). My bias shows that way as cousins finance is still MIA and war ended when I was in High School (way too close for comfort). And working with and getting to know a Vietnamese refugee family. IOW touchy subject to try to get entertainment from.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Didn’t see the show but my thought was way too close to end of the war not to expect negative reactions. And not thinking VFW or AL members as much as families that were affected (including Jeff’s). My bias shows that way as cousins finance is still MIA and war ended when I was in High School (way too close for comfort). And working with and getting to know a Vietnamese refugee family. IOW touchy subject to try to get entertainment from.

Yep, look at Jeff's emotional reaction even now in 2019. He still wants to beat the snot out of those who booed the show because he related, and still relates to, it in a personal way. And there are many alive today who still feel just as passionate about that show; both pro and con.

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep, look at Jeff's emotional reaction even now in 2019. He still wants to beat the snot out of those who booed the show because he related, and still relates to, it in a personal way. And there are many alive today who still feel just as passionate about that show; both pro and con.

Yes everyone is affected by things differently which also makes the what is objectionable issue impossible to quantify. (Snipping long boring bit from my annual sexual harassment training about differing opinions biting you in the ...)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yes everyone is affected by things differently which also makes the what is objectionable issue impossible to quantify. (Snipping long boring bit from my annual sexual harassment training about differing opinions biting you in the ...)

would love to know what the booing and hissing people get out of that?

Does it make one feel better?

Does it show designers their displeasure in the corps design choice?

Does it make people think their behavior will change anything?

Is there really a point?

AS a member on the field listening and watching this behavior, does it make one feel superior?

Trying to understand and clearly, I don't

I personally think silence, or not watching something I don't like speaks much louder than hissy fits which aren't funny or effective. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do you realize how close that year was to the actual pullout year of the Vietnam war, that DCI at that time still had many VFW members in the stands, including Vietnam Vets who were booed, hissed at, rocks thrown at, by the very ones that show partially glorified as being peace lovers?  That has to, must be, placed in the narrative to understand the design reaction.

For some reason this makes me wonder if anyone's ever marched in DCI with bone spurs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I agree with you in that the opposite direction is just as detrimental. I am afraid that we are entering a time period where if I say to a woman, "That dress compliments you", and she interprets that as a sexual advance, I might be facing civil action. But please read what I just posted about the artistic view on the bite out of the apple. It explains more in depth my views on not wanting to tolerate sexual objectification and youthful fun promiscuity any more in the name of entertainment or art.

Very unlikely. Nor if you said something similar to a man.

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

would love to know what the booing and hissing people get out of that?

Does it make one feel better?

Does it show designers their displeasure in the corps design choice?

Does it make people think their behavior will change anything?

Is there really a point?

AS a member on the field listening and watching this behavior, does it make one feel superior?

Trying to understand and clearly, I don't

I personally think silence, or not watching something I don't like speaks much louder than hissy fits which aren't funny or effective. JMO

I disagree with the booing and hissing too so I don’t understand either. I’m more of a “time for a bathroom break” guy myself which I have done for some corps for other reasons. In this case I say they had a right to put on the show and I would have the right not to watch. 

To be clear when I said they should have expected controversy I did not mean people should have booed. Reason is that takes away the right of the people who wanted to see the show

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

First step at work is tell the person making the comments to stop. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that then get a supervisor or other person to say it for you. Then if they don’t stop they are letting themselves open for legal action.

point is everyone has a different level of what is sexual harassment so person making the comment might not be aware it is unwelcome. Protects both sides.... Idea that only one thing said and you are in court or fired, don’t believe it either

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Really? Because here is the reason I said that. I was entering a bank and there was a female behind me carrying a box of papers and a few ledger books. Her arms were full. I opened the door, stepped aside, and waited for her to walk inside. She snarked at me, calling me a sexist, informed me that she could do her own door opening. A clerk heard her, and without hesitation informed me that my disrespect had no place in the bank and asked me to vacate. And there are increasing situations like this starting to occur, not often, but enough to make you take a breath.