Then vs Now

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Really? Because here is the reason I said that. I was entering a bank and there was a female behind me carrying a box of papers and a few ledger books. Her arms were full. I opened the door, stepped aside, and waited for her to walk inside. She snarked at me, calling me a sexist, informed me that she could do her own door opening. A clerk heard her, and without hesitation informed me that my disrespect had no place in the bank and asked me to vacate. And there are increasing situations like this starting to occur, not often, but enough to make you take a breath.

My immediate would have been to tell her loudly (for everyone’s benefit) “would have done for a man too if his arms were full”. Then to the clerk just one word “MANAGER “. 

As my dad would say “some people are just ######## and don’t run your life for them”.

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My immediate would have been to tell her loudly (for everyone’s benefit) “would have done for a man too if his arms were full”. Then to the clerk just one word “MANAGER “. 

As my dad would say “some people are just ######## and don’t run your life for them”.

It was the word 'sexist' that caught the attention of the clerk. I knew from that point forward to keep my trap shut; that no matter what, I was not going to be believed. That is what concerns me as we move into the near future.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Here is a challange to all posters. Set down with the youth at your church, youth at the community center, youth in the band room, both male and female, and maybe a few parents, and watch videos of those young females in the VK cymbal line. Proudly tell the youth in the room that you really admire those sex cymblals. And do refer to them in that manner. Then come back here and inform us that was a comfortable situation for ya. That will inform your gut if this is acceptable or not.

Then we can discuss the shows I am being accudes of ignoring.

I've shown VK and several other shows...including Boston 09...to kids I taught over the years. Not one student expressed any type of offended reaction. In fact, the only critical comments were about the cymbal players technique. That spot in Bayonne 80 where the guard member "seduces" the baritone player....howls of laughter. Even for a show that at that time was over 30 years old.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Do you realize how close that year was to the actual pullout year of the Vietnam war, that DCI at that time still had many VFW members in the stands, including Vietnam Vets who were booed, hissed at, rocks thrown at, by the very ones that show partially glorified as being peace lovers?  That has to, must be, placed in the narritive to understand the design reaction.

At that time, after the Vietnam Wall had been opened to the public, was a great time of healing for many of the wounds of Vietnam. Having personally attended the opening weekend of the Wall to see my Uncle's name ( who now has a portion of PA 74 named in his honor right in front of his grave site), as a teenager...an early teen too....you could see a lot of emotion coming out of the veterans and family in attendance. it was incredibly moving and left a HUGE impression on me and my views of the War. I saw a lot of people finally letting go of emotions bottled for up for several years. And seeing that show a few times with veterans or those who lost loved ones, it was moving to them as well. I don't remember a single boo for that show in the 4/5 times I saw it that summer.....I still remember far more complaining about Bayonne in 76 ( by many people who 4 years later thought they could do no wrong).

and hey want to be offended....in 81 Bayonne brought Tony back from the dead after he did some bad disco dancing. Now the dancing was offensive, so designers take note....no more disco dancing!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

would love to know what the booing and hissing people get out of that?

Does it make one feel better?

Does it show designers their displeasure in the corps design choice?

Does it make people think their behavior will change anything?

Is there really a point?

AS a member on the field listening and watching this behavior, does it make one feel superior?

Trying to understand and clearly, I don't

I personally think silence, or not watching something I don't like speaks much louder than hissy fits which aren't funny or effective. JMO

Lord knows I didn't like anything about BD 08-13, and wasn't shy about saying it here, but seeing them live....never said a word and applauded. ok golf clapped, but still, no booing here. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I've shown VK and several other shows...including Boston 09...to kids I taught over the years. Not one student expressed any type of offended reaction. In fact, the only critical comments were about the cymbal players technique. That spot in Bayonne 80 where the guard member "seduces" the baritone player....howls of laughter. Even for a show that at that time was over 30 years old.

Did ya tell them that you really enjoyed watching those sex cymbals?  Using that phraseology? Tell them you admired their short shorts and that is why the are sex cymbals?

30 minutes ago, Stu said:

Really? Because here is the reason I said that. I was entering a bank and there was a female behind me carrying a box of papers and a few ledger books. Her arms were full. I opened the door, stepped aside, and waited for her to walk inside. She snarked at me, calling me a sexist, informed me that she could do her own door opening. A clerk heard her, and without hesitation informed me that my disrespect had no place in the bank and asked me to vacate. And there are increasing situations like this starting to occur, not often, but enough to make you take a breath.

odd. As I go in and out banks several times a week, if someone is coming in with their hands full, I always say "here, let me get that for you", and never have an issue. Must be your winning personality

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

odd. As I go in and out banks several times a week, if someone is coming in with their hands full, I always say "here, let me get that for you", and never have an issue. Must be your winning personality

Must be.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Did ya tell them that you really enjoyed watching those sex cymbals?  Using that phraseology? Tell them you admired their short shorts and that is why the are sex cymbals?

I told them when I saw it live, I was a teenager and it was cool. Now some 30 years later, I'll let them form their own opinions. I dont show them the show specifically cor the plates, I show them the show because it's good. They catch it. And they also get the corps is all about mocking the norms and don't seem to be offended. if someone had expressed any kind of offense, I'd have found other options to show them, but no one did. 

Actually, Once I did have a student ask if they could do that too. I informed them championships were in Scranton in November, so they'd freeze....and they didn't ask again. 

• Haha 1