Then vs Now

Jeff next time we meet I will have to ask where on 74 as had no idea about your Uncle. 

Few years back was at a POW MIA ceremony at Hanover Post. Part of ceremony is recognize one of them and tell their story. Jaw dropper when heard my cousins finances name and realized his parents were there. Didn’t know they were from York County.

yeah off topic.... sue me...

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Jeff next time we meet I will have to ask where on 74 as had no idea about your Uncle. 

Few years back was at a POW MIA ceremony at Hanover Post. Part of ceremony is recognize one of them and tell their story. Jaw dropper when heard my cousins finances name and realized his parents were there. Didn’t know they were from York County.

yeah off topic.... sue me...

it was formally dedicated in the fall of 2016.....it's from the borough line just by Rillos back to the triangle. He and my grandmother are buried in the cemetery there, the one thats been in the news for the fight over ownership and maintenance, Ashland. I was able to attend the vote in the PA House, and Rep Bloom went out of his way to recognize the family, and many of the representatives came over to give thanks and overdue condolences. In fact we were seated in the well of the floor, off to the Speakers left. 

you may even recognize the one bald spot. 🙂

The man saluting is my Uncle Earl, who also served. Of my two uncles that live in Cali, one was able to attend, the other has health issues that prevented him from flying in, so we face-timed the ceremony so he could see it live, 6 AM his time. The dedication was timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of his death. Sadly, I was born 18 months after "Uncle Peanut" was killed in action. 

https://cumberlink.com/news/local/multimedia/photo_galleries/marine-lance-corporal-gary-lee-ream-memorial-highway/collection_94adca7b-79ab-548a-a285-de2f4a1e0585.html

https://cumberlink.com/news/local/communities/carlisle/section-of-state-route-named-for-carlisle-native-killed-in/article_54e5afb1-f1ef-5cf3-8568-93b8e1e06a79.html

http://www.shipnc.com/valley_times_star/vts_news/article_a428ff2e-8a6f-11e6-ab2c-933c7a161a2e.html (Dad, Aunt Jody, Aunt Joanne and Uncle Alan...heh my Mom even made this shot)

the house vote: 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

would love to know what the booing and hissing people get out of that?

Does it make one feel better?

Does it show designers their displeasure in the corps design choice?

Does it make people think their behavior will change anything?

Is there really a point?

AS a member on the field listening and watching this behavior, does it make one feel superior?

Trying to understand and clearly, I don't

I personally think silence, or not watching something I don't like speaks much louder than hissy fits which aren't funny or effective. JMO

Great points.  Booing a corps has never made sense to me.

I've disagreed with a few scores... OK, some years more than a few....LOL.... but I don't recall ever booing a corps. A waste of time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

odd. As I go in and out banks several times a week, if someone is coming in with their hands full, I always say "here, let me get that for you", and never have an issue. Must be your winning personality

Heck... I had a situation, when Barbara was disabled... she and I and my sister were out shopping,  we went to open a door for someone who was using a walker.... and that person got peeved at us!!! "I can open a door, thank you..."  This with Barbara in a wheelchair, which the person could plainly see.  A head-scratcher, for sure.

6 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Didn’t see the show but my thought was way too close to end of the war not to expect negative reactions. And not thinking VFW or AL members as much as families that were affected (including Jeff’s). My bias shows that way as cousins finance is still MIA and war ended when I was in High School (way too close for comfort). And working with and getting to know a Vietnamese refugee family. IOW touchy subject to try to get entertainment from.

1997... DCA's Empire Statesmen performing "Miss Saigon" at the American Legion national championship show in Scranton.  A bunch of AL folks in attendance.

I know some people with Statesmen were wary about what the reaction might be... but the audience responded favorably.  The fact that Statesmen's show that year was one of the best in DCA history might have helped. They performed so well that year it was tough not to like them.

Edited by Fran Haring

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heck... I had a situation, when Barbara was disabled... she and I and my sister were out shopping,  we went to open a door for someone who was using a walker.... and that person got peeved at us!!! "I can open a door, thank you..."  This with Barbara in a wheelchair, which the person could plainly see.  A head-scratcher, for sure.

odd. As Jeff goes in and out of shopping centers several times a week, if someone is coming in with a walker, he always say "here, let me get that for you", and he never has an issue. Hmmmmm... Must be his winning personality. 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

odd. As Jeff goes in and out of shopping centers several times a week, if someone is coming in with a walker, he always say "here, let me get that for you", and he never has an issue. Hmmmmm... Must be his winning personality. 😎

I am a helluva a nice guy. Plus I think they may realize I work there, which may help, but honestly, I've never had an issue offering to hold a door for anyone, regardless of gender and age. I guess I'm not really an ########, I just play one on DCP

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, Jeff Ream said:

one of the few good things

Well... the corps performances were one of those good things and the most important thing to be good. All in all, that outweighs my feelings about the parking pirates, Yo ho ho ... don't want to walk a mile and chance the snakes, 10 bucks please.... the snakes got some folks kerfluffled, to me as long as they're not copperheads or rattlers, I'm okay with them. though they DO need railing. The steps are pretty darned steep.

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Great points.  Booing a corps has never made sense to me.

I've disagreed with a few scores... OK, some years more than a few....LOL.... but I don't recall ever booing a corps. A waste of time.

I've begged a friend to shoot me when a certain show was inflicted on me at the DCI simulcast, this I believe.... :wink:

Some shows I've inwardly winced, heckled, once I begged the people around me not to stand because it would encourage the design team to continue down the road to heck they were on.......but I'm trying to think of a DCA or DCI show I booed. I can't.

I've been booed, 1982 Grand Prix at the Meadowlands, which I actually relish and wear as a badge of pride. Can't think of any Westshoremen who have ever felt bad about it, we walked off with the 1st place trophy.