Then vs Now

As for individual acts of stupidity like calling people perverts and such.... I have never bought the idea that one or a few people being stupid means all of society is failing or an entire group of people all act the same way. We have the freedom here to speak up and that includes ability to show stupidity. And we’re all individuals so one size do not fit all of a certain group. 

To relate to dc think of the people in your own corps and try to come up with a generalization of “they all think/act alike”. If a cable or internet talking head had been with Stu they would be saying all corps people are disrespectful to their elders and call older men perverts. Or perhaps all younger ladies do that... or all women with that hair color... or.... you get the idea....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BigW said:

I've begged a friend to shoot me when a certain show was inflicted on me at the DCI simulcast, this I believe.... :wink:

Some shows I've inwardly winced, heckled, once I begged the people around me not to stand because it would encourage the design team to continue down the road to heck they were on.......but I'm trying to think of a DCA or DCI show I booed. I can't.

I've been booed, 1982 Grand Prix at the Meadowlands, which I actually relish and wear as a badge of pride. Can't think of any Westshoremen who have ever felt bad about it, we walked off with the 1st place trophy. 

Yeah.... I think the fans at that show preferred a NYC-area corps that wore red cadet jackets and shakos. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I am a helluva a nice guy. Plus I think they may realize I work there, which may help, but honestly, I've never had an issue offering to hold a door for anyone, regardless of gender and age. I guess I'm not really an ########, I just play one on DCP

I'll vouch for that.
He even allowed me to participate with the Westshoremen Alumni corps. :laughing:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigW said:

I've begged a friend to shoot me when a certain show was inflicted on me at the DCI simulcast, this I believe.... :wink:

Some shows I've inwardly winced, heckled, once I begged the people around me not to stand because it would encourage the design team to continue down the road to heck they were on.......but I'm trying to think of a DCA or DCI show I booed. I can't.

I've been booed, 1982 Grand Prix at the Meadowlands, which I actually relish and wear as a badge of pride. Can't think of any Westshoremen who have ever felt bad about it, we walked off with the 1st place trophy. 

I remember the old routine where Madison's score would be announced, fans would boo, then would turn to cheers. The guys in the corps loved that

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yeah.... I think the fans at that show preferred a NYC-area corps that wore red cadet jackets and shakos. :tongue:

or white satin tops, bell bottoms and sombreros

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I'll vouch for that.
He even allowed me to participate with the Westshoremen Alumni corps. :laughing:

no the 82 alumni allowed you in LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

or white satin tops, bell bottoms and sombreros

LOL!!!

That '82 show, the place was all in for Skyliners.  That corps #### near owned the Meadowlands during those years, late 70s-early 80s.  Even though it wasn't their home show, it was their home show.  :tongue:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

They announced us... and BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! We looked around and laughed with an evil grin at each other in the bari section. I think it just pushed us to throw it in their faces that night. They would have been better off doing the chirping crickets trick.

IIRC there was a post a few years ago where some corps members were reportedly hurt, shaken from a strong negative crowd reaction...jeez. They give you the boo. stand taller, bear down, and throw down. Hard. And it's not like I don't get it because I do. 3+k peeps in Giants Stadium, yeah I get that. :wink:

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 1:42 PM, Stu said:

Here is a challange to all posters. Set down with the youth at your church, youth at the community center, youth in the band room, both male and female, and maybe a few parents, and watch videos of those young females in the VK cymbal line. Proudly tell the youth in the room that you really admire those sex cymblals. And do refer to them in that manner. Then come back here and inform us that was a comfortable situation for ya. That will inform your gut if this is acceptable or not.

Then we can discuss the shows I am being accudes of ignoring.

And be sure to discuss the context.  Especially for VK who was excellent at doing tongue in cheek.  Although that phrase too may offend you. And why should I say I’m proud and admire them?  Maybe I don’t necessarily “admire” them or overly proud of them.   Seems an odd POV you think we need to convey. All that said though, I can appreciate the humerous approach VK took in their shows.

If you are so offended by what is presented, why do you attend or view shows?    If Boston’s incredibly promiscuous show was as degrading and offensive as you wish us to believe, how many times did you watch it to come to your conclusion?  Is it a platform that is needed to display some deep morality that you believe needs to be a component of all shows?   Well let me then say, thanks for wanting to be my moral compass, but I’m good.

• Like 1