Then vs Now

1 hour ago, BigW said:

They announced us... and BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! We looked around and laughed with an evil grin at each other in the bari section. I think it just pushed us to throw it in their faces that night. They would have been better off doing the chirping crickets trick.

IIRC there was a post a few years ago where some corps members were reportedly hurt, shaken from a strong negative crowd reaction...jeez. They give you the boo. stand taller, bear down, and throw down. Hard. And it's not like I don't get it because I do. 3+k peeps in Giants Stadium, yeah I get that. :wink:

The American Psychological Association just announced, look it up, that they have determind stoicism, competitiveness, thick skin, and other masculine traits like suck it up buttercup are actually psychological 'disorders'. And that the real healthy traits are to give in to hurt feelings, like whining and crying when you are booed. I sh## you not!!! Who knew Richard Simmons is in fact a better role model than Marcus Luttrell.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

And be sure to discuss the context.  Especially for VK who was excellent at doing tongue in cheek.  Although that phrase too may offend you. And why should I say I’m proud and admire them?  Maybe I don’t necessarily “admire” them or overly proud of them.   Seems an odd POV you think we need to convey. All that said though, I can appreciate the humerous approach VK took in their shows.

If you are so offended by what is presented, why do you attend or view shows?    If Boston’s incredibly promiscuous show was as degrading and offensive as you wish us to believe, how many times did you watch it to come to your conclusion?  Is it a platform that is needed to display some deep morality that you believe needs to be a component of all shows?   Well let me then say, thanks for wanting to be my moral compass, but I’m good.

Nowhere have I said my morals should be imposed, and neither have I spewed vitriol at any other's opinions. I am merely questioning where the appropriateness line exists for the adults within a youth activity. So you are fine with an adult male oogling at female youth in short shorts and calling them sex cymbals in front other youth females. That is your perogotive, and I am not judging you. That honesty is all I was asking for, thank you.

Edited by Stu

4 hours ago, BigW said:

They announced us... and BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! We looked around and laughed with an evil grin at each other in the bari section. I think it just pushed us to throw it in their faces that night. They would have been better off doing the chirping crickets trick.

Heh... we got the "chirping crickets" response in 1982, at the DCA show in Montreal. Our opening hit, which usually got the crowd going...nothing that day. I mean, zero response.

Of course, the fact that our opening hit was "God Save The Queen" and we were in French Canada might have had something to do with that. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Heh... we got the "chirping crickets" response in 1982, at the DCA show in Montreal. Our opening hit, which usually got the crowd going...nothing that day. I mean, zero response.

Of course, the fact that our opening hit was "God Save The Queen" and we were in French Canada might have had something to do with that. :tongue:

Ouch don’t think any members of the Quebec Separtist group were clapping. I’m a big hockey history fan and friction between French speaking Québécers and “english” NHL leaders got nasty at times. “Riot on St Catherines street” “Richard riot” is a good google time killer and eye opening about tensions between the groups. Only video I’ve ever seen of tear gas being set off inside a hockey arena😨

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1969 Garden State chanps....St Andews Bridgemen and St Martins Troubadors from Newark got into a huge fight on the field n (I think) Dover. It was so bad St Martins moderator immediately disolved the corps. St Andrew had won, Polish Falcons were 2nd and St Martins were a distant 3rd. 

I was on the field with the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen...we were 4th. Our unis were almost exactly the same as St Martins, so we hightailed it off the field as fast as we could, 

Edited by MikeD
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

1969 Garden State chanps....St Andews Bridgemen and St Martins Troubadors from Newark got into a huge fight on the field n (I think) Dover. It was so bad St Martins moderator immediately disolved the corps. St Andrew had won, Polish Falcons were 2nd and St Martins were a distant 3rd. 

I was on the field with the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen...we were 4th. Our unis were almost exactly the same as St Martins, so we hightailed it off the field as fast as we could, 

So a few years later DCI could have been developed into a full-contact sport! :thumbup:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stu said:

The American Psychological Association just announced, look it up, that they have determind stoicism, competitiveness, thick skin, and other masculine traits like suck it up buttercup are actually psychological 'disorders'. And that the real healthy traits are to give in to hurt feelings, like whining and crying when you are booed. I sh## you not!!! Who knew Richard Simmons is in fact a better role model than Marcus Luttrell.

Heh, I don't know if it was sucking it up or being macho...more that we were just very competitive and a bit goofy even by 1982 DCA standards. We knew what the game was, and we wanted to let them down. How? By winning the contest.  :satisfied:

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ouch don’t think any members of the Quebec Separtist group were clapping. I’m a big hockey history fan and friction between French speaking Québécers and “english” NHL leaders got nasty at times. “Riot on St Catherines street” “Richard riot” is a good google time killer and eye opening about tensions between the groups. Only video I’ve ever seen of tear gas being set off inside a hockey arena😨

That's ancient history!  BTW, the owners of the Canadiens back then were English speaking and so was the coach and nobody minded.  Also, the riot was about the "Rocket" being suspended for the first games of the Stanley Cup series, which didn't go over big and had more to do with that than "friction" between French and English speaking groups.

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That and the fact that traditionally, Quebeckers are Cab fans.

7 hours ago, Bob P. said:

That's ancient history!  BTW, the owners of the Canadiens back then were English speaking and so was the coach and nobody minded.  Also, the riot was about the "Rocket" being suspended for the first games of the Stanley Cup series, which didn't go over big and had more to do with that than "friction" between French and English speaking groups.

Actually it was rest of the season but ok.... 

From what I read it was simmering for a while and the suspension was a spark that lit the fuse. Shrug...

Edited by JimF-LowBari