Then vs Now

3 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Holy extrapolation Batman. That's...not what they're saying at all. They're saying that maybe, just mayyyyyyybe, one should consider allowing men to have a space to be emotional in a way other than showing anger, rather than locking everything away or directing it toward anger.

The fact that your interpretation of that was "guess we should all dance with Richard Simmons and ISIS" says far, far more about you than anything else. Though misreading things to suit your contrived notions of the world isn't abnormal, given the BAC '09 discussion.

Ok; I will not go hypothetical but relate this directly to drum corps. There have been three scenarios of corps shows listed recently in this thread which will serve nicely:

1) Back then: A fight ensued on the field (aggression)

2) Then: Boos drove players into winning in a commanding manner (competitive dominance)

3) Now: Boos lead to hurt feelings and visable sadness (sensitivity)

Which one of the three traits in parentheses is now considered by the APA as the one best trait to exhibit in order to avoid what they deem as being 'harmful' masculinity?

Edited by Stu

On 2/23/2019 at 6:51 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Actually it was rest of the season but ok.... 

Yes, maybe the last few games of the season, therefore the suspension ran through the series.  

The riot had much more to do with Montreal losing hockey's best player at that time for the Stanley cup series.  Les Canadiens lost the series to Detroit in the 7th game, which surely wouldn't have happened had the Rocket been there.  

Apart from some very partisan fans, most thought that the suspension was merited, even among the French Canadian populace.  

Playing God Save the Queen in 1982 was not usually well received, the separatist party being power since the 1976 election.

The whole "then vs. now" argument/discussion....

I'm not sure I can even begin to compare eras, in terms of how they would fare against each other on whatever scoresheets would be used.

I marched in a DCA corps that won three championships in the six seasons I was there and came close to winning a fourth. In 1978, we dominated the circuit, winning 14 of 17 shows. Not a bad year's work. LOL.

We had a great corps... for our era. But the modern-day DCA champion Buccaneers would mop the floor with us.