Then vs Now

Is NOW better than THEN or is THEN better than NOW?

I like.....NOW was made better because of THEN! THEN was great and NOW is great!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

I like.....NOW was made better because of THEN! THEN was great and NOW is great!

this pretty much should end the thread....it's perfect

6 hours ago, KeithHall said:

All  we have today in any aspect of this activity or otherwise  is ALWAYS because of yesterday. So we praise or blame. The good or so called bad

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

Amen, Keith!!! 

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the real key to getting a tone is in the bottom head and the guts. you'll only get so much out of the top heads these days. 

Absolutely true. I've experimented with both gut and cable, Kevlar vs Mylar (single and double rimmed,) bottoms etc. 

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Absolutely true. I've experimented with both gut and cable, Kevlar vs Mylar (single and double rimmed,) bottoms etc. 

trust me, after helping to make Stingray sound good, it's all the bottom half of the drum. and alcohol

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in percussion world preference for tuning played a huge part. in 75, the battle between Sky and the Yankee Rebels came down to who judged finals night. Judge A loved Sky's tuning, even if it made them sound fuzzy, and jumped on the Rebs because their tuning exposed everything. Judge B loved the Rebels tuning and gave it up because he thought Sky's tuning consistently added a layer of fuzz where you couldn't tell if truly clean, or fuzzy.

B judged finals, Rebels won, thus allowing Dad and I to celebrate high percussion trophies 20 years apart

I hear that.... it was a "horses for courses" thing with some judges.

Our drum line in Sun went through that. Some judges preferred their style... a more musical book and different tuning... others preferred a more rudimental style.

Sunrisers and Skyliners, late 1970s-early 80s. Two different styles... both of which fit their corps' overall style... two great lines.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, Jeff Ream said:

I heart you. Be prepared for blowback

Hopefully there won't be.  There is no need for it.  He has his POV, I have mine.  I think he is wrong and harsh and he thinks I am too liberal.  It's OK.  It is what it is.  Time to move forward as rehashing solves nothing.

On 2/27/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jeff Ream said:

in percussion world preference for tuning played a huge part. in 75, the battle between Sky and the Yankee Rebels came down to who judged finals night. Judge A loved Sky's tuning, even if it made them sound fuzzy, and jumped on the Rebs because their tuning exposed everything. Judge B loved the Rebels tuning and gave it up because he thought Sky's tuning consistently added a layer of fuzz where you couldn't tell if truly clean, or fuzzy.

B judged finals, Rebels won, thus allowing Dad and I to celebrate high percussion trophies 20 years apart

Going to have to dig out my 75 Dream CD to compare. Yeah CD as the vinyl version was one I literally wore the grooves out.