Then vs Now

12 hours ago, Corpfan said:

now don’t get me wrong I love drum corps in its forms today but I can’t help but wonder how would the shows (and I get it, it’s almost apples and oranges) of that era score today?

The  DCI rules of competition of today would make such shows not designed, nor performed in such a manner, corpfan. And taking a show from an earlier era to see how it " would score today", would be rather unfair to that Corps and its show as well, imo. They would be at a distinct disadvantage, as things permitted in shows back then, were prohibited from being utilized in competition back then. So they could not avail themselves of such back then.

Back then, the instruments of competition were much different. No use of the options of singing, amplification, trombones, french horns, etc. The numbers of marchers allowed in competition were different ( smaller ). The age eligibility different ( 21, not 22 ), the methodology utilized for judging shows different ( too many to list ), and maybe 25-30 other things from 1989, that would  handicap, and thus preclude a show from 1989 being scored fairly in competition today, nor for any worthwhile comparative assessments to ever be made on " how they would score " today, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The  DCI rules of competition of today would make such shows not designed, nor performed in such a manner, corpfan. And taking a show from an earlier era to see how it " would score today", would be rather unfair to that Corps and its show as well, imo. They would be at a distinct disadvantage, as things permitted in shows back then, were prohibited from being utilized in competition back then. So they could not avail themselves of such back then.

Back then, the instruments of competition were much different. No use of the options of singing, amplification, trombones, french horns, etc. The numbers of marchers allowed in competition were different ( smaller ). The age eligibility different ( 21, not 22 ), the methodology utilized for judging shows different ( too many to list ), and maybe 25-30 other things from 1989, that would  handicap, and thus preclude a show from 1989 being scored fairly in competition today, nor for any worthwhile comparative assessments to ever be made on " how they would score " today, imo.

All very true Brasso. 

It does kinda make me wanna see PR do a souped up version of their New World Symphony show with all of the modern goodness. I know they did a piece of it 2018....but a full blown remake could be either staggeringly good or go horribly wrong and put them in the lower half of the top 12...oh wait a second.

BTW...nothing but MAD love for Phantom. My second favorite corps ever. 

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Modern yep; Goodness...........um..........

And I would agree with you on certain aspects of that. Anything that can be done, can be overdone. For example, I don't mind amps if they're done well. When they first hit the field I might have given them the Mr. Spock eyebrow but some corps do it well. ####, I did the same thing when I first saw the Colts bring out a Remo drum set for the pit in like 1984 or '85. I would say I fall basically in the middle of the pack when it comes to the more modern approach. I would never want to go back to the park and blow on 50 days, but sometimes I can't follow the more progressive shows from a GE perspective. 

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And I would agree with you on certain aspects of that. Anything that can be done, can be overdone. For example, I don't mind amps if they're done well. When they first hit the field I might have given them the Mr. Spock eyebrow but some corps do it well. ####, I did the same thing when I first saw the Colts bring out a Remo drum set for the pit in like 1984 or '85. I would say I fall basically in the middle of the pack when it comes to the more modern approach. I would never want to go back to the park and blow on 50 days, but sometimes I can't follow the more progressive shows from a GE perspective. 

Let's come at this from a modern pop or rock perspective. While 'live' pop/rock musicianship and vocals are still performed at smaller venues, the trend at large stadiums is not only lip synching but also what is known as finger synching (guitarists, keybordists, etc playng to recorded music on unplugged instruments). Even many drummers are on accoustic kits outfitted with mesh silent heads and mesh quiet cymbals basically air drumming to the recording. And the reason for this is that the over the top visual spectical now desired at large venues cannot be physically done while playing/singing 'live' at a high quality level. The halftime at the Super Bowl has been this way for years. Since DCI is moving more toward the visual staging spectical, along with the advent of electronics, I can also possobly see it moving in that modern pop/rock over the top visual lip/finger synching to electronis and recording direction if it means market survivability.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

. I would never want to go back to the park and blow on 50 days, 

Ironically however, I see more " park and park on the 50 " today in the top DCI Corps  than in that 89 Phantom Regiment show. The only difference in the " park and bark " is that some of it today is done in elevated positions between the 35 yard lines. There is no question that the Corps winning or medaling today, are doing less high velocity drill movements throughout their 11 minute show productions, than back in the 80's/ 90/s, and so forth. The Medal and winning Corps are doing far more staging now in these 11-12 minute or so, on field productions. The field productions are more vertical than horizontal if you will.  I LOVED the DCI Title winning SCV show last season. Its undeniable that most of the production was done front and center and the vast majority of the 2018 SCV,  DCI title winning show, accomplished between the 35 yards lines.. and  done vertically, as opposed to horizontally  re.field coverage.  Its all just... well...different now these days. In my opinion we can enjoy show productions for what they once were, and are now. Viva La Difference !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, YoungMusician said:

I wonder how the shows of the early to mid 2000s would score. I’d like to think that Phantom’s 2006 show would score well today.

Its interesting if we reversed the question too., ie " how would today's top performing Corps score under the 1989 ( or 1990's ) DCI judging system in place back then ? "

Well, that would seem like an easy answer.:.. " not very well ".

For obvious reasons. Penalties alone would take them out of the medals consideration contention. (illegal use of overage marchers,  illegal use of prohibited instrumentation in competition, too many performers on the field, etc and a myriad of other violations that would absolutely crush their scores. ) Most Likely, they would be be DQ'ed.

This is why comparing dissimilar things from different era's is pretty much impossible to do, imo,  when it comes to the question of... " how would they score ? "

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Its interesting if we reversed the question too., ie " how would today's top performing Corps score under the 1989 ( or 1990's ) DCI judging system in place back then ?

Well, it seems an easy answer... " not very well ".

For obvious reasons. Penalties alone would take them out of the medals running contention. (illegal use of overage marchers,  illegal use of prohibited instrumentation in competition, too many performers on the field, and a myriad of other violations )

Beat me to it!!!

5 minutes ago, YoungMusician said:

I wonder how the shows of the early to mid 2000s would score. I’d like to think that Phantom’s 2006 show would score well today.

I certainly wouldn't disagree although I don't know if it would hold 2nd place. To Brasso's point, there isn't a lot of staging really in the show which seems to certainly be the popular design these days. even the HS marching bands are starting to do it with projector screens and the like. As long as we can look back at shows at say "That was a great show" I don't think it much matters to me. 

• Like 1