Then vs Now

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Discussion is fine, but belittling somebody who thinks different than you is not. Personally, I loved drum corps in 63, 73, 83, 93, 03, 13 and hopefully in 23. Are there individual shows I don't care for? Sure, in every era. Are there "things" from each era that I did not particularly like? Sure. But overall, I love it as much today as ever, and the performers and designers of today are, IMO, the best there have ever been...and that in no way detracts from the great people of the past. 

Lol having a flashback from a certain fb group.... mainly one person kept saying if it doesn’t have a starting and ending line it ain’t drum corps. My response was then I never did “real dc” and gave the year I started lol....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Why would current marchers feel disrespected about people criticizing the decisions of corps directors and show writers? Ridiculous 

Just like we did, the members put their hearts and souls into their show and their corps, so no it is not "ridiculous" to think that  members would feel disrespected if you trash what they are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And what is the end result of those decisions?

oh yeah, the show that the members are doing.... So if you are criticizing/slamming one....

”that ain’t drum corps” is like a shotgun as it shoots crap all over....

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I gave you an answer without sarcasm, here is another without sarcasm....

what if the members don’t have a problem with the show design or even like it? Imagine that feeling when someone says their show is crap.

Heard complaints about the way shows were done in the middle 70s so nothing new under the sun

Are you saying thay the members should be shielded from criticism in the name of hurt feelings? If so I completely disagree. The designers choose to transmit their creations and controversial opinions directly through the youth, and then tell the audience they cannot show their displeasure via potential hurt feelings. Bologna!!! If DCI designers choose to transmit it that manner I say to the youth, "Suck it up buttercups; if you do not like the criticism tell yoir drsogners to knock it off using you as the instrument of that transmission."

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Are you saying thay the members should be shielded from criticism in the name of hurt feelings? If so I completely disagree. The designers choose to transmit their creations and controversial opinions directly through the youth, and then tell the audience they cannot show their displeasure via potential hurt feelings. Bologna!!! If DCI designers choose to transmit it that manner I say to the youth, "Suck it up buttercups; if you do not like the criticism tell yoir drsogners to knock it off using you as the instrument of that transmission."

I was responding to the denial that criticizing the show does not reflect on the members in anyway. And not being able to talk to today’s members how do they feel about today’s shows.  Do they feel that the show design is controversial or a different opinion. Or they feel like back in my day when we heard criticism like this “wth is their problem?”

36 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Just like we did, the members put their hearts and souls into their show and their corps, so no it is not "ridiculous" to think that  members would feel disrespected if you trash what they are doing.

Well then let me clear the air by saying I mean no disrespect to marching members when I criticize the use of electronics in drum corps. People here are saying that financials for DCI are doing great and participation is high so whatever they're doing is working. 

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I was responding to the denial that criticizing the show does not reflect on the members in anyway. And not being able to talk to today’s members how do they feel about today’s shows.  Do they feel that the show design is controversial or a different opinion. Or they feel like back in my day when we heard criticism like this “wth is their problem?”

To that I can respond with personal experience, not only as a member back in the eighties, but also talking with all of my students from then to this year who performed in DCI.

The members exist in a bubble. The adults they most respect and admire as drum corps staff also are in their bubble. They bust their butts inside that bubble to recieve praise and are willing to take the criticism from those they admire in order to elicit that praise. Inside that bubble they're not trained to think, they are trained to do. Other than receiving direction of story in order to emote better, they are really not informed of the motives or politics behind the designs. And while they are out on the field performing to an audience they are still existing inside that bubble. Only at the end of the performance is when the bubble breaks slightly and the outside audience presents them with a reaction.

The full expectation at that moment from the members is for praise based on excellence of performance. So when silence or boos are presented, not to them but to the designers who used them as tools of transmission, it comes as sort of a disappointing shock. And their blame thus goes to the audience because they are outside the love and adoration cult of personality existing inside the bubble. Whereas the blame really goes to the designers for using the youth as the tool of transmission then gasping when the audience recpricates that transmission with displeasure.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 2

Think I have it, thanks. I was thinking criticism outside of the stadium environment but nice to have a current day perspective there.

Boos or silence after a show disgust me as showing no respect for the effort into putting a show on the field. But that feeling comes from being in a lesser corps circuit for a few years. IOW knowing it takes a lot of work to put a low scoring corps on the field.  

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think I have it, thanks. I was thinking criticism outside of the stadium environment but nice to have a current day perspective there.

Boos or silence after a show disgust me as showing no respect for the effort into putting a show on the field. But that feeling comes from being in a lesser corps circuit for a few years. IOW knowing it takes a lot of work to put a low scoring corps on the field.  

Long ago this DCI activity was chosen to be a competitive sport. And this activity is the closest to being professional of any marching activity. NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was once asked how he reacts to being booed. He said, "I thrive on it; at least I'm not being ignored and can overcome it by winning". Now before you say he's an adult, he said that he also learned that as a youth driving go-karts. And he was thankful he learned it so early.

And he can’t hear booing during the race anyway lol. And to clear up my previous post, by shows I mean a corps performance. Booing placements at the very end is a different animal.

and first show I ever went to had programs flying from the stands 😧 oh those DCA people

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Marching members past, present and hopefully future do (I'm certain,) stray onto the forum from time to time. Criticism of what an individual likes or doesn't like is fine. It's an opinion and nothing more. That being said, the old "DCI sucks now because of blah, blah, blah" is an old and tired argument. It's still valid in a person's individual mindset, but when placed out there for public consumption, people will defend their own opinions as well. 

These young people work just as hard, bleed and sweat just as much as we all did BITD. They put out the best product that they're capable of given the circumstances. To put forth a blanket statement saying that people who like today's shows better than those of 30 years ago have bad taste does have an air of disrespect IMHO. But we are all entitled to that. 

• Like 2