Then vs Now

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Are you saying thay the members should be shielded from criticism in the name of hurt feelings? If so I completely disagree. The designers choose to transmit their creations and controversial opinions directly through the youth, and then tell the audience they cannot show their displeasure via potential hurt feelings. Bologna!!! If DCI designers choose to transmit it that manner I say to the youth, "Suck it up buttercups; if you do not like the criticism tell yoir drsogners to knock it off using you as the instrument of that transmission."

I agree.  I think most young marchers/performers understand this too. The fans are going to offer their opinions.  I certainly don't boo at a show, nor do I make it a point to air my complaints at the show for all to hear.  However, in a review I may be critical of some shows and their designs, and in other cases I may be critical of the performance of a show. I hope people understand it's just one person's opinion. No big deal. We can all argue over it -- which is sometimes fun -- but it amounts to opinion. 

I do enjoy a LOT of things about drum corps today, but there are things some corps do better than others and I wish we saw less of the copycat approach. 

Yeah it is one thing to not like a show because... detailed explanation without insulting. And then there is “shows all suck now, it ain’t like it used to”.

more than slight difference 

4 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Why would current marchers feel disrespected about people criticizing the decisions of corps directors and show writers? Ridiculous 

Did you like it when old timers bashed what you did on the field? 

4 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I didnt realise marching members had any say in show design, thanks for enlightening me

They don't. But they don't like what they are doing being bashed just as you didn't when you marched.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Are you saying thay the members should be shielded from criticism in the name of hurt feelings? If so I completely disagree. The designers choose to transmit their creations and controversial opinions directly through the youth, and then tell the audience they cannot show their displeasure via potential hurt feelings. Bologna!!! If DCI designers choose to transmit it that manner I say to the youth, "Suck it up buttercups; if you do not like the criticism tell yoir drsogners to knock it off using you as the instrument of that transmission."

shielded? No. But seeing it ad nuaseum gets old. It got old at the end of my marching days 23 years ago when RAMD was in it's infancy. And even then my stated feeling was "if you don't like it, go the #### away".

as you can see my mind hasn't changed since then. Even had a loud discussion in Allentown about 7 years ago with an older guy in the stands...not he cheap seats...complaining loudly all night. I finally turned around and said "everyone around you likes it or has the sense to be quiet if they don't....but we can't hear the corps over your Howard Cosell impersonation".

he was quiet the rest of the weekend.

Edited by Jeff Ream

36 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree.  I think most young marchers/performers understand this too. The fans are going to offer their opinions.  I certainly don't boo at a show, nor do I make it a point to air my complaints at the show for all to hear.  However, in a review I may be critical of some shows and their designs, and in other cases I may be critical of the performance of a show. I hope people understand it's just one person's opinion. No big deal. We can all argue over it -- which is sometimes fun -- but it amounts to opinion. 

I do enjoy a LOT of things about drum corps today, but there are things some corps do better than others and I wish we saw less of the copycat approach. 

many marchers scoff when alumni demand respect for what they did in their day when in the same breath they dump on what the kids are doing today.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

shielded? No. But seeing it ad nuaseum gets old. It got old at the end of my marching days 23 years ago when RAMD was in it's infancy. And even then my stated feeling was "if you don't like it, go the #### away".

as you can see my mind hasn't changed since then. Even had a loud discussion in Allentown about 7 years ago with an older guy in the stands...not he cheap seats...complaining loudly all night. I finally turned around and said "everyone around you likes it or has the sense to be quiet if they don't....but we can't hear the corps over your Howard Cosell impersonation".

he was quiet the rest of the weekend.

As it applies to grumps in the stands griping loudly about Back In My Day and not allowing others to have peace enjoying the modern performaces I completly agree with you.

What I am talking about is designers who make political or artistic statements, using the youth to transmit those statements, then gasping when the audience tells them what they think with sneers, boos, and silence. I have no problems whatsoever with the crowd that booed Suncoast injecting divisive politics into their Vietnam show back in 1984, or BD injecting the statements into their Cabaret Voltaire show (if you know the history of the real dada movement it was as much about politics as art). If the designers use the youth to make statements, do not blame us in the audience for booing right back through them.

Edited by Stu

Just now, Stu said:

As it applies to grumps in the stands griping loudly about Back In My Day and not allowing others to have peace enjoying the midern performaces I completly agree with you.

What I am talking about is designers who make political or artistic statements, using the youth to transmit those statements, then gasping when the audience tells them what they think with sneers, boos, and silence. I have no problems whatsoever with the crowd that booed Suncoast injecting divisive politics into their Vietnam show back in 1984, or BD injecting the statements into their Cabaret Voltaire show (if you know the history of the real dada movement it was as much about politics as art). If the designers use the youth to make statements, do not blame us in the audience for booing right back through them.

I'm talking about kids and parents seeing a never ending parade of alumni complaining about the activity in general. I have no problem speaking my mind on a very controversial show choice.

personally anyone that booed Suncoast in 84 should be beaten about the head and shoulder. My Dad, who lost a brother in Vietnam and was one number away from getting the call to go over cried like a baby for that show. 

Designers have always found ways to get statements into shows, some more obscure and not known to all as others. After all the crowd roared when VK had the Bull take  whiz on the matador it just gored in 84...or what I think it was 2010 when the guy chose the other guy over the girl.

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

and corps participation - in the 90s you couldn't scrape a full hornline together until mid June unless you were top 3

I think there's also another factor at play...

There are more students now than ever.  There are more high schools than the 90s, so more members being better marketed to...

I'm not sure DCI's catering is much of a factor.  Just my observation.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm talking about kids and parents seeing a never ending parade of alumni complaining about the activity in general. I have no problem speaking my mind on a very controversial show choice.

personally anyone that booed Suncoast in 84 should be beaten about the head and shoulder. My Dad, who lost a brother in Vietnam and was one number away from getting the call to go over cried like a baby for that show. 

Designers have always found ways to get statements into shows, some more obscure and not known to all as others. After all the crowd roared when VK had the Bull take  whiz on the matador it just gored in 84...or what I think it was 2010 when the guy chose the other guy over the girl.

See I thought the 84 Suncoast show was garbage (never boo at any show and I tend to be quiet in the stands).  Just INSANELY shallow but hey whatever floats your boat.  Today's shows (for me) seems just as INSANELY shallow intellectually.  Just so much over the top stuff going on when the time and effort should have been in the music and drill making the point..but hey call me a dino.