Then vs Now

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

because there are many who think much more of their own opinion than the rest of the activity does ( I'm sure with some it was always like that ) and think if they say it enough something will change..

BUT you're right...lol

When I worked the DCI/YEA show in Westminster MD for a few years, one old-school alum would come up to me every year and complain about the shows. I wondered why he bothered going, if he didn't like anything.

I also wondered why he bothered talking to me about it. Not like I could get on the microphone and ask the corps to please play their 1975 shows instead of what they were doing. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Last season, the PA system there had been refurbished and was working great. For my final year working that show. Go figure.  LOL.

A going away present

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

A going away present

It was interesting that all the PA systems I worked with last summer were in good to great shape.

And I heard that the Wiliamsport system was pretty good. :whistle:  :laughing:

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

When I worked the DCI/YEA show in Westminster MD for a few years, one old-school alum would come up to me every year and complain about the shows. I wondered why he bothered going, if he didn't like anything.

I also wondered why be bothered talking to me about it. Not like I could get on the microphone and ask the corps to please play their 1975 shows instead of what they were doing. :tongue:

lol..so true.....you know though, those shirts stopped all shows😱jk ( DCA anyway )

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

and corps participation - in the 90s you couldn't scrape a full hornline together until mid June unless you were top 3

honestly i don't think the size of a corps had anything to do with attendance.

Between marketing, rules and design, DCI tried to appease that "legacy" fan so many get annoyed at being referred to, and the next generation coming up. The problem is a lot of the stuff now "in" was already being done in the band world and indoor. Kids liked it. They wanted to do it. I remember kids coming in to my DCA corps complaining about G horns in the 90's. Really, around 2011, I started noticing a shift, first at the top, then working it's way down, plus the changes to the sheets also helped make things more competitive. All of that combined....and IMO, a fact that never gets enough credit...DCA corps continued to get younger and give far better training to kids that wanted to go to DCI. Plus Open Class took more control of their destiny, and while I still think there's some improvements there to be achieved, they seemed to have gotten a better handle on it and DCI overall has given them far more public love.

and then attendance started climbing, because as someone in the seats in 2010, the place was NOT electric. While family considerations don't allow the luxury of Indy anymore, the buzz in Allentown the weekend before is a lot bigger than it has been for YEARS. In fact, if they could start Friday at 7 PM and give people a chance to fight traffic to get there, that night would have the biggest crowd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

It was interesting that all the PA systems I worked with last summer were in good to great shape.

And I heard that the Wiliamsport system was pretty good. :whistle:  :laughing:

one of the few good things

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Here's the thing, and I have said this a zillion times, but those on the "i don't like where it is" camp can't won't answer:

If you don't like it, why do you still pay for it? Why do you still follow it? Several years ago, I just got tired of the NBA. All of it. So, I stopped watching it. I stopped reading about it. I stopped spending any money on it. I wasn't a fan of when amplification first came out, and I stopped spending money on DCI. I went to two shows only to see former students because they asked me to. Something happened...I started liking it again. So I started going and paying again.

I have never understood how taking the time and energy to go online and continue to complain about changes has ever done one thing to get DCI to change their stance on any change.

What you are actually arguing for in this post is for people to stop being so critical, just sit back and relax. Any changes DCI makes is good automatically because DCI is all knowing. What's the point of a discussion forum in the first place if we follow this logic. Imagine where we would be in other fields like medicine or infrastructure if everyone shared your views.

2 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

What you are actually arguing for in this post is for people to stop being so critical, just sit back and relax. Any changes DCI makes is good automatically because DCI is all knowing. What's the point of a discussion forum in the first place if we follow this logic. Imagine where we would be in other fields like medicine or infrastructure if everyone shared your views.

I think what he's saying IS why support something you don't like or can't find 1 thing good about today ( and yes there are those )....just don't watch it...pretty easy

Disagreeing is one thing, taste is one thing, contempt for the activity today is something quite different. But hey, Jeff can speak for himself..lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

What I am arguing for is sanity. if you hate it, why complain online? What's it going to change? All you do is actually hurt the activity. Parents read this place and other places, and then tey ask "why do i want my kid to be around all of the grumpy old ########?" And you can mock me for saying that, IT'S TRUE! I've had to explain to many parents over the years DCP and other sites/social media pages do not represent the real drum corps activity.

Worse, current marchers feel disrespected. They don't get to pick the shows. They just perform them as you did. But All they see is alumni from all over trashing what they are doing.....then wonder why those same alumni whine they aren't respected by the kids doing it today. Well Duh! Would you show love back to those that bash what you're doing? Hell no, you'll call them crusty old ######## and make fun of them. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Nothing. This is a free country afterall and if you want to hold prole-tier opinions about art then by all means go ahead just dont drag the rest of us down with you

You have just revealed three things. 1) By admitting that nothing makes your opinion about art superior, you do in fact subscribe to the notion that art evaluation is purely subjective. 2) By presuming that my subjective taste and opinion concerning toilet art differs from yours shows once again you know nothing about me. and 3) Your comments yet again contradict your claim of being open-minded.