BRASSO

Nicknames of Marchers You Marched With

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Late in 64, it's a Sunday, and Boston's horn line is at the Victory Road Armory (Dorchester) getting ready to begin learning the new music.  In walks a guy wearing a black suit, white shirt and tie.  Grabs a chair and joins the contra section.  Within five minutes John Clasby becomes "Digga" (undertaker).  Even Ed Denon busted his chops when he learned he would be the only one who could read music.

  Another nickname...James " Stokie " Stokinger, BAC DM...  same 60's era.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

  Another nickname...James " Stokie " Stokinger, BAC DM...  same 60's era.

Oh man... one of the best ever!!!

First really big show I attended was the World Open in 1970... got to see him perform.  A great leader for that corps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll out myself here...LOL...

I was mugged in NYC, at Penn Station, when I was 12... spring of 1971. Wasn't hurt... got my wallet taken, that was about it. Heck.... #### near everyone was getting mugged in NYC in those days.  :tongue:

So... a guy in my junior corps nicknamed me... of course... Mugsy. :laughing:                                                                          

It never stuck (thankfully....LOL).... only two people called me that on a regular basis.  One of them is the guy who came up with the nickname... he's a lifelong friend, and every time I see him he still says it, in an Edward G. Robinson type of voice. Makes me laugh to this day!!!

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

  Another nickname...James " Stokie " Stokinger, BAC DM...  same 60's era.

A tenor drummer in the early to mid 60's was the original "Ghost".  He later moved to the NW(?) area and taught a corps out their.  Boston, like many corps of that era, had many nicknames, but I'll have to do some research.  One guy I recall was called Road Monkey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marching band (I played the wrong thing to do Drum Corps):

Roach: because she slept curled up face down with her legs under her body face on the school bus trips.  It was comfortable enough but she looked like a bug.

Spaz: because on the first marching basics lesson of the season, we were doing this high mark time 4 beats then step off and march 8 to 5 then high mark time 4 beats and repeat.  Kid didn't quite physically understand the transition from high mark time to a normal step off and would totally high lift his foot then slam it down from knee height a step forward.  As his section leader it fell up on me to fix this.  By band camp he actually won marcher of the day one day.  

Sparky: Hair dryer + wet wooden floor in the girls shower room at camp = eternal nick name

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Marching band (I played the wrong thing to do Drum Corps):

Roach: because she slept curled up face down with her legs under her body face on the school bus trips.  It was comfortable enough but she looked like a bug.

Spaz: because on the first marching basics lesson of the season, we were doing this high mark time 4 beats then step off and march 8 to 5 then high mark time 4 beats and repeat.  Kid didn't quite physically understand the transition from high mark time to a normal step off and would totally high lift his foot then slam it down from knee height a step forward.  As his section leader it fell up on me to fix this.  By band camp he actually won marcher of the day one day.  

Sparky: Hair dryer + wet wooden floor in the girls shower room at camp = eternal nick name

Sparky :spitting:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't march DCI but my  brother marched Spirit of Atlanta from 79-81. I was fascinated with some of the nicknames when I was around the Corps. 
 

  • Sasquatch - Very tall soprano soloist
  • HUHA - An acronym that I'm not going to repeat the meaning of.
  • TUHA- I believe he was the second HUHA the following season.
  • Starvin' Marvin- no idea why

All the rest aren't suitable for the forum. :-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I didn't march DCI but my  brother marched Spirit of Atlanta from 79-81. I was fascinated with some of the nicknames when I was around the Corps. 
 

  • Sasquatch - Very tall soprano soloist
  • HUHA - An acronym that I'm not going to repeat the meaning of.
  • TUHA- I believe he was the second HUHA the following season.
  • Starvin' Marvin- no idea why

All the rest aren't suitable for the forum. 🙂

I remember a mello player in Spirit ‘78 whose nickname was Wild man.

Edited by Terri Schehr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I remember a mello player in Spirit ‘78 whose nickname was Wildman.

I remember that guy as well, and another "Wildman" surfaced in Atlanta CV with my son in 2015. Not the same guy...though interestingly enough, another Spirit 1979 Baritone marched with my 17-year old son in 2016! Dude was in better shape at age 58 than anyone else on the horn line. I think he'd STILL be marching if he hadn't developed some "non marching" health issues. Davis ( my son) told me this guy would take the whole Baritone line out on PT runs when they were in Rochester and kick all their butts! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 If you've been around DCI even for just  a few years, you've heard the nickname " Rondo " ( or " Reliable Rondo" )  and know his role in DCI Drum Corps. I wonder if he had this nickname " Rondo "  as well when in his youth he marched Drum Corps with the Watkins Glen Squires, Watkins Glen, N.Y.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.