Housing options as schools close

50 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I think it’s different. At a work study as you call it, or internship, you get paid. So that’s one big difference from drum corps. Aside - if it’s an unpaid internship....don’t do it!  Another difference is the direct tie to a possible future job at that company where you are interning. Versus a drum corps where you’re not thinking of a future paying job with that drum corps. So it did seem quite different to me, although I am a bit ignorant regarding the world of music majors and job hunting. 

some music programs give class credit for marching

47 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

some music programs give class credit for marching

For marching in a drum corps?  Or for marching in the school’s marching band?

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

This intrigues me - the idea that MMs do drum corps to build a resume in the hopes of helping get future employment. I think I got that out of X’s post. If that’s not what you were saying then never mind. 

But if that’s the case, should that be a valid reason to march?  Versus “love of the activity” with no expectations of anything else. Suggesting that doing drum corps could help land a job seems a little distasteful to me. 

You read between the lines accurately, particularly as it pertains to music majors according to my experience of sponsoring mms and having affiliations with corps since DCI started.

Taste differs personality to personality. Sure, the altruism of loving the activity for the activity itself seems a higher plane.

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Across the United States there are 26,407 public secondary schools and 10,693 private secondary schools

For a total of  37,100 secondary school with a variety of gyms and athletic fields/facilities

With about 60 touring corps I'm pretty sure we'll be ok in the short term from a numbers perspective 

The private school numbers will dwindle dramatically if the research is to be believed. (I've been a member of both NEA and NCEA -not meaning North Carolina Education Association- for quite awhile and am conversant of the discussion of this same downward trend in their observations as well.)  The secular secondary schools are not evenly distributed, facilities differ greatly given the locale particularly those chosen and available to corps and tours.

Short term I agree with you, but DCI is at the cusp of addressing larger issues if it survives the immediate issues. 

Just thought of another twist to the “for the love of”. When in a parade/standstill (won’t call it alumni) corps was with some hs and college aged people. Some of them joined in order to do something different in music. So not a love of corps as much as love of playing music.

30 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

For marching in a drum corps?  Or for marching in the school’s marching band?

both apply, not necessarily at the same school.

Where some high schools mandate involvement in the marching band and some colleges highly recommend it, some college/universities will give credits for marching DCI better corps when one completes the added requirements (papers, videos, logs, etc.) AND pays the institution for the credits as one would do/pay for any other course. Some universities consider it a practicum/internship giving hands-on knowledge.  Very useful almost necessary if one is seeking a job in the Carolinas, Georgia, Texas, and parts of California; useful if one is seeking to gain employment at a school district where marching band activity is cherished.

Edited by xandandl

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

This intrigues me - the idea that MMs do drum corps to build a resume in the hopes of helping get future employment. I think I got that out of X’s post. If that’s not what you were saying then never mind. 

But if that’s the case, should that be a valid reason to march?  Versus “love of the activity” with no expectations of anything else. Suggesting that doing drum corps could help land a job seems a little distasteful to me. 

Just curious. I am a music small business owner, contracting out composing, arranging, performing, adjudicating, and instructional services. I chose the particular university in which I graduated based on it's outstanding reputation. I also performed with one WC corps and was on staff with another WC corps, both of which have won WC Champiion Rings, Sandford, and Ott awards. And I also chose to be with them based on their outstanding reputations. How is using my drum corps honors, my experience, and placing that info within my bio and on my resume to enhance and benefit my career any more 'distastful' than placing my educational experience, scholarship awards, and degree earned within those documents?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Across the United States there are 26,407 public secondary schools and 10,693 private secondary schools

For a total of  37,100 secondary school with a variety of gyms and athletic fields/facilities

With about 60 touring corps I'm pretty sure we'll be ok in the short term from a numbers perspective 

housing is but one aspect my post raises. What would you posture concerning the other aspects, e.g. mms not marching in order to take summer courses and graduating early before the college closes.

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Some say that DCI mms by almost half are music majors (education and performance.) But where are the jobs for them to eke their livelihood? 

Well, most schools turning out music ed majors have near 100% placement rate for graduates who want to enter teaching. As a parent paying for college I would want to know the chances of my child becoming gainfully employed once college is completed (instead of coming back home to roost). This myth that music and arts education have disappeared from our schools is exactly that... a myth. While there may be spots where issues exists... on the whole music education in the US is as strong as ever with plenty of job opportunities for those who want them.

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Another difference is the direct tie to a possible future job at that company where you are interning.

Many MMs use it for the experience that will help them when they go into teaching. I know many who chose where to march based on how the instructional staff would equip them with skills and knowledge they would be able to use as an educator in the future. And yes... many internships are not paid.