Housing options as schools close

11 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Many MMs use it for the experience that will help them when they go into teaching. I know many who chose where to march based on how the instructional staff would equip them with skills and knowledge they would be able to use as an educator in the future. And yes... many internships are not paid.

Ye olde “your educational side is good... now how about your work/practical experience?”...

Heard it 39 years ago with IT (before it was called IT) when just out of college.

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just curious. I am a music small business owner, contracting out composing, arranging, performing, adjudicating, and instructional services. I chose the particular university in which I graduated based on it's outstanding reputation. I also performed with one WC corps and was on staff with another WC corps, both of which have won WC Champiion Rings, Sandford, and Ott awards. And I also chose to be with them based on their outstanding reputations. How is using my drum corps honors, my experience, and placing that info within my bio and on my resume to enhance and benefit my career any more 'distastful' than placing my educational experience, scholarship awards, and degree earned within those documents?

You missed my point.....which was....For a corps staff member to encourage a MM to march in that corps with the enticement that it can help you land a job later seems distasteful to me. 

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ye olde “your educational side is good... now how about your work/practical experience?”...

Heard it 39 years ago with IT (before it was called IT) when just out of college.

Yeah. Stupid question then. Stupid question now. 

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah. Stupid question then. Stupid question now. 

So you have your choice of fresh out of college people to fill a job. Which looks better, no experience in doing that type of work or someone who has at least some experience? In my case BITD it would have been working in the colleges computer center couple hours a week.

42 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You missed my point.....which was....For a corps staff member to encourage a MM to march in that corps with the enticement that it can help you land a job later seems distasteful to me. 

Please read this carefully. I chose that particular university because it was one of the best in the world, I wanted the challange of earning the best education, and chose it (because it would help me in my career). I also chose those WC winning corps because they were the best in the world, I wanted the challange of earning the best education, and chose them (because they would help me in my career). And in fact they all have boosted and benifited my music career. What is so 'distasteful' then for me to tell my students who want to be the best in their own musical careers to chose the best schools in the world, choose the best corps in the world?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Regarding why people make the choices they make it comes down to 2 things for me:

work idea of I don’t have a “need to know” why 

old mans idea of “none of my #### business”

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

You missed my point. I chose that particular university because it was one of the best in the world, I wanted the challange of earning the best education, and chose it (because it would help me in my career). I also chose those WC winning corps because they were the best in the world, I wanted the challange of earning the best education, and chose them (because they would help me in my career). What is so 'distasteful' about those reasons of choice if in fact they all have boosted and benifited my music career? What is so 'distasteful' for me to tell my students who want to be the best in their  own musical careers to chose the best schools in the world, choose the best corps in the world?

Can’t help you Stu. You choose to refuse to comprehend my post. Whatever. You want to make your own point?  Have at it. It has nothing to do with mine. 

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So you have your choice of fresh out of college people to fill a job. Which looks better, no experience in doing that type of work or someone who has at least some experience? In my case BITD it would have been working in the colleges computer center couple hours a week.

I could go on all day on the topic of how to hire or what to look for in a new employee. But alas that’s very off topic so I won’t.

I think Jeff hit the nail on the head concerning the biggest issue in front of the corps when it comes to housing:  fallout from the abuse scandal. Do YOU want to be the superintendent who allowed “that group” to stay at your school?    Things could spiral out of control at the speed of social media, which is fast. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Can’t help you Stu. You choose to refuse to comprehend my post. Whatever. You want to make your own point?  Have at it. It has nothing to do with mine. 

Sure I comprehend your post. The more students succeed the better the instructor's career wil be. There is nothing distasteful about that. Drummers followed Float from Spirit to Devils; his career prospered. Drummers followed Delucia from Bridgmen to Star; his career prospered. Drummers go to UNT and followed Rennick from Crown to Regiment to SCV; his career prospered. How does a high school or college instructor become known as being the best instructor? Answer, by the successes of his/her students. None of that is distasteful.

Edited by Stu