Housing options as schools close

44 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sure I comprehend your post. The more students succeed the better the instructor's career wil be. There is nothing distasteful about that. Drummers followed Float from Spirit to Devils; his career prospered. Drummers followed Delucia from Bridgmen to Star; his career prospered. Drummers go to UNT and followed Rennick from Crown to Regiment to SCV; his career prospered. How does a high school or college instructor become known as being the best instructor? Answer, by the successes of his/her students. None of that is distasteful.

Regarding Dennis, they also followed him to Bayonne from the Muchachos before that.

A good piece of the Garfield drumline went to the Cabs after the 71 season, because Garfield let George Tuthill go, and he was at Hawthorne already. I mean, who would want to play for the new guy at Garfield in 72, Fred Sanford.      🙄 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Interesting topic X.  I believe this activity has been for “the rich and pampered ” for some time.

I'm not so sure that the affluent's kids are any more " pampered " these days now than low income parents kids are " pampered " however. Being " pampered " by parents is more a function of upbringing, culture, and values, etc, imo... more than a family's income. Some of the hardest working students, as well as having solid off school work habits, are rich parents kids. Thats because hard work skills were passed on in the home and from those around them. Some of the laziest, unmotivated, and " pampered " kids are kids with no direction in life, don't work, and don't particularly care whether they do work or not to get ahead. They have no money, nobody around them has much money,  and thus they become " pampered " by Parents and/ or society into a non productive life of mostly clock watching and hammock seeking. Of course this is a generalization too, of course, as there are still lots of kids from poor families that are certainly not " pampered " either, and are highly motivated to change their current environment for themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

9 hours ago, xandandl said:

Questions arise (does Greater Boston and city really need 52 different institutions of post-high school learning?) 

Supply and Demand prevails. There are lots of Parents and their kids that want to go to School in Boston.  While its not a " need " neccesarily, it is indeed a choice. This is mostly an economic, market driven question, imo,  so the simple, current answer to your question is..... " Yes ", to the choice being made at the moment anyway.. That said, I can think of at least 10 schools that have closed in the last 25 years around Boston, and newer schools built and replacing the others that closed to accommodate effectively the changing needs of students/ parents in what they want in a post secondary education and where they choose to spend those 2- 4 years, and how much they are willing to pay for it.

Schools have to change and adapt just like Drum Corps do. Harvard University was initially founded as a Religious Institution whose mission was primarily to develop and train Church Ministers and Church Deacons for Church's throughout N.E. And for its first 100 years that is mostly what it did. It was not the secular University back then that it is today.  Harvard changed and adapted however as its Society around it changed.  The same will be true with the Schools and Drum Corps. The visionary, flexible, and successful one's will wisely adapt accordingly, imo.. 

Edited by BRASSO

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Interesting topic X.  I believe this activity has been for “the rich and pampered ” for some time.

Rich? I would venture to say that most of my students who have, or are now, perform with DCI mow yards, rake leaves, deliver pizzas, sack groceries,  clerk at stop and robs, ad infinitum for the extra income to pay their fair share of dues and other DCI summer experiences. Very, very few have had their entire expenses paid by mommies and daddies.

Pampered? Whether rich, middle, or poor I have yet, in over 40 years of involvement, ran across a pampered youth who made it to June let alone Aug Finals.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Pampered? Whether rich, middle, or poor I have yet, in over 40 years of involvement, ran across a pampered youth who made it to June let alone Aug Finals.

I'd agree with this. The notion that Drum Corps is for " the pampered " seems a bit of a stretch. I don't care when it was... 1960's, or 2000's, most won't last a week, let alone a season or several, if they've had a "pampered " upbringing  before arriving at camp or rehearsal for the 1st time. There might be a few here and there that are " pampered " that march, but thats never been the overwhelming vast majority of who is marching Drum Corps, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

This intrigues me - the idea that MMs do drum corps to build a resume in the hopes of helping get future employment. I think I got that out of X’s post. If that’s not what you were saying then never mind. 

But if that’s the case, should that be a valid reason to march?  Versus “love of the activity” with no expectations of anything else. Suggesting that doing drum corps could help land a job seems a little distasteful to me. 

It's an interesting question certainly. I went through grundschule (elementary school in the US) and then went on to the music gymnasium until I moved to the states. So my love of music was clear. I knew I wanted to be a music major. But I will say this, whether vocal or instrumental, I auditioned for anything I could that I thought would pad my resume later down the road. I didn't change my love of music but was simply a means to an end. 

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I'd agree with this. The notion that Drum Corps is for " the pampered " seems a bit of a stretch. I don't care when it was... 1960's, or 2000's, most won't last a week, let alone a season or several, if they've had a "pampered " upbringing  before arriving at camp or rehearsal for the 1st time. There might be a few here and there that are " pampered " that march, but thats never been the overwhelming vast majority of who is marching Drum Corps, imo.

Well said.  Those marchers work insanely hard.  Not sure that would be considered "pampered."  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

The term used above "distasteful" is the one I'm struggling to get my head around. Can you clarify that a bit, HD? 40 years ago when MMs who went on to careers in the music/music education field would tell prospective employers "I marched in a Top 12 DCI corps for 4 years", it didn't impress anyone. Today, there's a much better chance it would have some meaning. 

On the pampered discussion, I'm in agreement with Fran. I'm not currently close to or have anyone close to me marching currently, but it doesn't take much more than the visuals, sounds and results to see that MMs today are not pampered. 

In the bigger picture of the original post and given current climate and controversies within DCI, are these even scenarios that DCI has considered? 

• Like 1

Is the bigger issue schools closing or schools not allowing corps to use their facilities due to liability issues, current member safety scandal, tax payers raising Hades due to costs, etc.

Edited by JimF-LowBari