Housing options as schools close

10 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I know here in NJ, any time people are in the building a black seal custodian must be present. Black Seal refers to being certified to operate the heating system, i.e. the furnace.

They mean business too.

Image result for a black seal... gif

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and by the way, especially in the areas you mentioned, the biggest issue for lost housing? Corps that left the schools looking like ####

Hopefully corps are taking a more active role in making sure that the facilities are left in better condition then they were when the corps arrived. I've seen some notes on corps pages recently regarding use of facilities in that regard and I would think that most would be smart enough to take before and after pictures in case there's a claim.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Hopefully corps are taking a more active role in making sure that the facilities are left in better condition then they were when the corps arrived. I've seen some notes on corps pages recently regarding use of facilities in that regard and I would think that most would be smart enough to take before and after pictures in case there's a claim.

They do, however decades of abuse ruined it forever. I can name at least 6 schools in the Allentown area that refuse to ever let a corps in again. I could name corps names too, but I won't.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

It would be interesting to me to hear from a tour director (past or present,) on the specifics of how housing is secured and what the requirements currently are for both the corps and the housing / practice site. I simply don't have the background in anything resembling that type of thing to see beyond the problem to, in turn, thing through possible solutions. 

True situation. Twice on the same tour in Upper Michigan in the first years of DCI, the corpsI helped administer arrived on site at housing situations which fell through at last moment.  At one our buses arrived only to see the local fire departments housing down the remains from the all night fire which consumed it. (Remember these were the days before computers and cell phones.)  I asked where the local Catholic church was, walked there and introduced myself to the pastor as I explained the situation. He gave me the keys to the school complex and never charged a fee. In fact, he summoned the church ladies guild who arranged a welcoming pancake breakfast the next morning. Our kids showed their appreciation by leaving the grounds in the best shape ever.

Two days later we had traveled to the Wisconsin border only to find where we were to billet over run by rats. The staff and kids looked at me who went again to that town's Catholic high school and talked with the priest in charge. I name-dropped the previous priest and they spoke by phone; turns out they had worked together in previous assignments. Again I was given the keys to the campus and no bill ever came to the corps. Except for the off the street dog walking into the girls showers when they were washing down because a door had been propped to release the accumulated steam, neither place saw any problems and wrote the corps excellent letters of commendation.

By far these are exceptional situations. I know corps like Cadets, Boston Crusaders, Cavaliers, Crown, etc. have each a staff member who solely works 12 mos. all year lining up housing;  even then there are last minute glitches, emergencies, and changes in school admins. which makes housing such a hurdle. Most corps now also have an advance team who arrive the day before the corps is expected to curb any last minute surprises; rarely do these folks ever see a show as they are already on their way to the next site.  Several corps have staffers do the summer tour schedule in the winter or Spring to assuage as many possible problems as possible.  

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

They do, however decades of abuse ruined it forever. I can name at least 6 schools in the Allentown area that refuse to ever let a corps in again. I could name corps names too, but I won't.

Yeah, a lot of terrible stories in North Jersey from my past. It was more a "Wild West" kind of attitude back then. Hopefully as school administrators retire, new people won't have that lousy history in their minds. Another of the "good old days were not always so good" things people sometimes don't think about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Yeah, a lot of terrible stories in North Jersey from my past. It was more a "Wild West" kind of attitude back then. Hopefully as school administrators retire, new people won't have that lousy history in their minds. Another of the "good old days were not always so good" things people sometimes don't think about.

the problem I have seen locally is because of those issues, the school boards have passed rules about it that aren't generally favorable for the activity. In fact one band director pulled every favor he could to get the board to allow it once, the board said ok, and the corps blew it up on that director. he basically had it thrown in his face every time he asked for anything after that. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem I have seen locally is because of those issues, the school boards have passed rules about it that aren't generally favorable for the activity. In fact one band director pulled every favor he could to get the board to allow it once, the board said ok, and the corps blew it up on that director. he basically had it thrown in his face every time he asked for anything after that. 

Not only that but many schools are now booked with so many activities that it is harder to find the free space for even a short period of time. Add to that the reputation and the fact that outside of community organizations are the lowest priority (and as a result pay much higher fees) it is becoming increasingly difficult in NJ. In one instance, a school wanted $24,000 for a three day weekend for one corps (which no corps would ever be able to agree to).

22 hours ago, Stu said:

The main problem with finding housing for the WC corps was their demanding expectations placed on the hosting schools. Do not get me wrong, the corps staff was always extreamly greatful and polite to the hosts. But when a demand goes out for the main rehearsal site being a high stadium turf field, along with three or four seperate rehersal fields for sectionals, use of the full parking lot, access to three to four gyms, band room, stage access, not just for sleeping but in case of rain, access to classrooms for driver/food staff sleeping, ad infinitum, with no distractions from other functions going on at the school, finding housing for them throughout the season was a major pain in the keester.

I heard pretty much that exact same thing from a friend who worked for one of the top DCI organizations for several years. 

He said some corps were fine with whatever a host school could provide, even if it meant staff running the rehearsal from atop the corps' equipment vehicle, like the old days. But other corps.... their demands were along the lines of what you've said here. 

Sometimes, perhaps we (the collective drum corps "we") forget that in the minds of any number of people, drum corps ain't all that... and beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

This is something I know probably varies from town to town, but a friend of mine who is a high school principal hates renting the facilities. In his district, and I know the same holds true for other districts, the school does not see the money collected from rent. It goes to the town because the town owns the buildings. In my friend's case, when the school is rented whether it be overnight or simply for an afternoon or evening, the school is responsible for hiring custodians and paying then overtime which is contractually required and has to provide security, but the school department is not reimbursed by the town. He feels it is not worth it and takes time from more important matters, and I can't blame him.

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have never rented a facility for a group that needed to stay overnight due mainly to local ordinances which would not allow it, but I have rented gym space, cafeteria space, and hall space. All you need to do is be burned once, and everything changes.