Housing options as schools close

On 2/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ghost said:

Wouldn’t they still have to pay for the locker rooms/showers?  Put the tent expenses into a gym and not worry about inclement weather.  And where did they consider putting the staff and volunteers, at least the ones who didn’t walk away?

Several corps have rented commercial exercise gyms and indoor arenas for the chance to take a shower or to practice indoors for the day.  Didn't your corps do just that at LOS before DCI invoked a quarantine on LOS for anything but contests? I know Cadets did the renting of commercial showers at places like Planet Fitness, etc. several times. Several corps rent the indoor Sportsplex arenas the week before/of Finals. And of course there is the BITD hooking up of a hose to take a shower plus this more modern approach we've used for disaster relief situations and film set companies often use on location. It's just a matter of thinking "outside the box" beyond what we presume as custom. E.g. Walmart parking lots allow for the hook-up of campers, Winnebagos, etc. even for electric when overnighting. Where there is a will, a solution can be found. Otherwise it will be the G7/8/9 problem of only a few corps remaining who will be able to house everyone in hotels every night.. 

Image result for photos of shower trailers

Edited by xandandl

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Didn't your corps do just that at LOS before DCI invoked a quarantine on LOS for anything but contests? I know Cadets did the renting of commercial showers at places like Planet Fitness, etc. several times. Several corps rent the indoor Sportsplex arenas the week before/of Finals .. 

Image result for photos of shower trailers

Don't think Boston reserved the Oil Can just for the showers.  If that unit above has only eight showers, at five minutes each, it could take 150 mm about 94 minutes.  Staff and volunteers would have to wait until they got to the next housing site.

20 hours ago, Ghost said:

Don't think Boston reserved the Oil Can just for the showers.  If that unit above has only eight showers, at five minutes each, it could take 150 mm about 94 minutes.  Staff and volunteers would have to wait until they got to the next housing site.

No the Crusaders booked LOS for an all day rehearsal. I didn't say otherwise.

I once ran a hurricane shelter which housed 238 people and only had one shower head.  Everyone was given 12 minutes and showered every other day unless they arranged a swap with another; amazingly people cooperated even with the person outside the room who blew the whistle every twelve minutes. 

Perhaps, mods, now would be the time to bring this thread to a close. As OP I ask that to happen as I won't be on DCP for awhile due to more cancer treatments and won't be available to chaperone a thread I started. Thanks. 

Edited by xandandl

I do think housing is a major long-term challenge facing DCI. I’m less persuaded that the declining birth rate is a cause. You could argue, for example, that owners of empty school buildings have greater incentive to rent them out. 

Nor do I think it likely that DCI’s recent reckoning with its history of abuse would cause a school administrator to turn away a drum corps. Will School District A in State X consider an abuse incident involving an unrelated nonprofit group from far-away State Y to be a threat to the students of District A? During the summer when District A is not in session? Especially when District A already rents one of its schools to a local church – which is having its own, much more prominent, reckoning? Seems like a slim reed. 

A boring old cost/benefit analysis seems to me to the much more likely reason why a suit at a school would turn down a weekend’s rent. All those lights needed at night. The custodial overtime. Complaint calls from the neighbors. And that PITA athletic director. No thanks. Let someone else have that headache. 

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

Perhaps, mods, now would be the time to bring this thread to a close. As OP I ask that to happen as I won't be on DCP for awhile due to more cancer treatments and won't be available to chaperone a thread I started. Thanks. 

Prayin' for ya.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1