Housing options as schools close

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I recall a story, perhaps early DCP or late RAMD.  In late 70's or early 1980 Spirit was staying at school in New Orleans.  Host band director asked Ott to have the horn line play 'Georgia' aimed at a specific house.  Apparently resident was always complaining how loud the HS band was.

his name wasn't Marty Hurley was it?

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I recall a story, perhaps early DCP or late RAMD.  In late 70's or early 1980 Spirit was staying at school in New Orleans.  Host band director asked Ott to have the horn line play 'Georgia' aimed at a specific house.  Apparently resident was always complaining how loud the HS band was.

I saw that happen once at the DCA level. I love the people who move next to a school yet complain about any noise or traffic......and their reaction when called on their complaints like "well duh it's a school what did you expect?" 

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I saw that happen once at the DCA level. I love the people who move next to a school yet complain about any noise or traffic......and their reaction when called on their complaints like "well duh it's a school what did you expect?" 

Thinking of ye olde (and I mean old) Williams Grove Speedway (sprint cars for you non locals). Once in a while some neighbors would complain and answer was always “speedway was built when your neighborhood was a farmers field iow it was here first”. 

Hell hospital few blocks from me just got trauma certification. I got medic helicopters over my house at any time of day. And if it’s quiet I can hear them idling for a while until they leave.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, George Dixon said:

Across the United States there are 26,407 public secondary schools and 10,693 private secondary schools

For a total of  37,100 secondary school with a variety of gyms and athletic fields/facilities

With about 60 touring corps I'm pretty sure we'll be ok in the short term from a numbers perspective 

I thought these numbers were a bit high against what I have been hearing at professional associations' meetings. 

So I searched and found your source which dates from 2001, almost the previous century but still used by subsequent administrations who failed to do a census of such schools. (cf. According to the Digest of Education Statistics, 2001, (Table 89)

In 2011, Arne Duncan, then Cabinet Sup. of Education under Obama, projected 27 States would see a decrease for high schools; the remaining 23 increasing were the Carolinas and Rocky Mountain States (from Mexico to Montana) with spot sections of other states such as Texas and California. So it's the hot weather hotbelts for DCI tour who have the schools with the Rust Belt, Grain Belt, and New England shutting down.

I'll do some more digging to have an actual link for present decade of 21st century data. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thinking of ye olde (and I mean old) Williams Grove Speedway (sprint cars for you non locals). Once in a while some neighbors would complain and answer was always “speedway was built when your neighborhood was a farmers field iow it was here first”. 

Hell hospital few blocks from me just got trauma certification. I got medic helicopters over my house at any time of day. And if it’s quiet I can hear them idling for a while until they leave.

and I work next door and hardly hear them come in LOL

12 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I don't think so - he was with Phantom at that point.  

The band director in question was on the forum & told the story.. I don't recall name

yes he was. He was long time director at Brother Martin H.S. in New Orleans and had a sly sense of humor according to Moe Latour.

What other options for housing might corps consider with schools closing, armories now off limits, and hotels growing more expensive?

I once had a discussion in Minneapolis with Chris Komnick of Madison Scouts who had an investigation ongoing for 10-12 man tents hearkening back to the C. Beebe days and reminiscent of when Scouts camped outside J. Birney Crum when their housing fell through at last minute.  They seemed to be building on the sub-groups that Jim Mason era initiated to make the large (150-154) member contemporary corps more relatable when every third member has the first name of Mike, Jim, etc.

Edited by xandandl

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and I work next door and hardly hear them come in LOL

You need to be up on the hill and only few sheets of plywood and crappy insulation above your head to muffle the sounds. Lol...

with the leaves down I can watch them land until the last 20 feet or so. Usually can see the red light on the tail thru the trees after they land

Edited by JimF-LowBari

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

You need to be up on the hill and only few sheets of plywood and crappy insulation above your head to muffle the sounds. Lol...

with the leaves down I can watch them land until the last 20 feet or so. Usually can see the red light on the tail thru the trees after they land

Back on thread topic please.