A440?

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, I can be overfond of long convoluted sentences.

Just for fun, here's the famous first sentence of William Faulkner's Absalom! Absalom!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that—a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them.

An acquaintance of mine who teaches literature and composition likes to have her students compare and contrast that sentence with this one from another book:

But either in his dreams or out of them, he could not tell which, Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind: a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise.

the only time i care about the word Absalom is when I listen to Grace Under Pressure

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Didn't he run for office from prison at one point? It seems that I remember something about that, but my memory has a few...holes.

Wouldn’t be surprised but have holey (not holy) memory too. Lost track after the tv ads stopped running. And having his supporters yelling at me and others in the airport was pretty spooky. At least the freaking Hari Krishnas were quiet. It was National (now Reagan) in DC which was close to his base of operations in northern VA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So his followers at the airport should have been yelling “do you support bad frequencies” when you passed them without giving them money.... or trying not to look their way😳

Didn’t realize he was still around. Needed popcorn watching his campaign speechs on tv (he paid for air time) as they were.... well out there....

I tuned in once to one of LaRouche's half-hour campaign infomercials... for the first few minutes he made perfect sense, talking about the need for the USA to rebuild its infrastructure and improve transportation. 

But then he started talking about a cabal of Jewish bankers who ran the world's financial system from a secret location in Switzerland, or something like that.

Right then, I got the remote and changed the channel.:laughing:

What a world-class kook. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

I tuned in once to one of LaRouche's half-hour campaign infomercials... for the first few minutes he made perfect sense, talking about the need for the USA to rebuild its infrastructure and improve transportation. 

But then he started talking about a cabal of Jewish bankers who ran the world's financial system from a secret location in Switzerland, or something like that.

What a world-class kook. 

You missed the Queen of England being behind drug trafficking because the UK wants the colony (USA) back.

• Haha 2

People. Do you think Joshua was worried about frequency when he was marching around Jericho knocking the walls down?  No. It’s all about the amplitude baby!!!  That whaa whaa whaa whaa thing you get going when you’re out of tune probably helped!  

(P.S. I know .... sound energy is a function of amplitude AND frequency)

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

People. Do you think Joshua was worried about frequency when he was marching around Jericho knocking the walls down?  No. It’s all about the amplitude baby!!!  That whaa whaa whaa whaa thing you get going when you’re out of tune probably helped!  

(P.S. I know .... sound energy is a function of amplitude AND frequency)

People where beating their heads in the walls from the noise and oops 😬 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BigW said:

Older brass instruments are evidently pitched differently. When I get the one restoration finished, I'll need to figure that stuff out. Maybe have a different set of valve crooks/tuning slide made eventually or something. I really don't want to take a saw to it, which I know some cats have to their horns.

And yes, tuning to what can't be tuned is the smart way to go.

Around the time I joined these forums, there was a little discussion here about a book called How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony by Ross Duffin. I remember Bruckner8 was one of the people who commented on it. The comments opened my eyes a bit to the complexities of tuning, about which I knew (and know) very little.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

What a world-class kook. 

I recall his mentioning the Verdi Pitch in a television interview, perhaps an infomercial, and included names of opera giants who support it, including Placido Domingo, Luciano Pavarotti, and Birgit Nilsson. It made it look as if these people supported his presidential bids. It also included a video of Renata Tebaldi speaking about the Verdi Pitch. Tebaldi was so incensed about being associated with LaRouche she denounced him publicly. 

I’m on board!  We must confiscate all tuning forks. And if musicians are doing tuning fork concealed carry we must ban that.