A440?

When the corps would all play "America the Beautiful" together, were any of them noticeably flatter or sharper than the rest?

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

When the corps would all play "America the Beautiful" together, were any of them noticeably flatter or sharper than the rest?

too distracted by the hang overs to tell

• Haha 4

For whatever reason... this gave me flashbacks of a conductor I was not too fond of... oh well.

I am not sure about tuning to A432 generally speaking. Many would hear that like a quarter tone and it might bug the heck out of a lot of folks. But in fairness, I know in the solo clarinet world it is common for soloist to play a little sharp. It makes sense, but for what ever reason it has always bugged me. Might be my OCD, but... gaaah

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Around the time I joined these forums, there was a little discussion here about a book called How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony by Ross Duffin. I remember Bruckner8 was one of the people who commented on it. The comments opened my eyes a bit to the complexities of tuning, about which I knew (and know) very little.

Equal tempering is a compromise in essence designed to enable there to be a more universal agreement on pitch. Also to be more exact on enharmonic notes. Without the tempering... for example, F # and G Flat would be different, however slightly. Evidently, string players will play both a skosh different anyway or tend to.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Equal tempering is a compromise in essence designed to enable there to be a more universal agreement on pitch. Also to be more exact on enharmonic notes. Without the tempering... for example, F # and G Flat would be different, however slightly. Evidently, string players will play both a skosh different anyway or tend to.

I have heard someone performing on a piano tuned to actual harmonic tuning. The most interesting thing to me was it gave me a better understanding how the different modes were defined as being majestic, somber, melancholy, surly, etc...

On 2/12/2019 at 11:55 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

From a little after two oclock until almost sundown of the long still hot weary dead September afternoon they sat in what Miss Coldfield still called the office because her father had called it that—a dim hot airless room with the blinds all closed and fastened for forty-three summers because when she was a girl someone had believed that light and moving air carried heat and that dark was always cooler, and which (as the sun shone fuller and fuller on that side of the house) became latticed with yellow slashes full of dust motes which Quentin thought of as being flecks of the dead old dried paint itself blown inward from the scaling blinds as wind might have blown them.

That used to be in my announcer's copy.

I would shorten it to "Welcome to the DCA World Championship!!!"  :tongue:

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That used to be in my announcer's copy.

I would shorten it to "Welcome to the DCA World Championship!!!"  :tongue:

"Drum Major ( i forget her name) is your corps ready?"

Drops black leather jacket to reveal skin tight black leather costume.

"oooooookay...Renegades you may take the field in competition!"

• Haha 3

I believe the Boston Symphony tunes to A 444, or did at one time.