Amateur

I am  trying out for DCI this upcoming season. I've been leaning towards either the Mandarins or the Academy. What corps did you guys start out in and how were your experiences in them? 

Well....relating 40+ years ago to today would only yield you the experience. And here a lot of us  20,30, 40+ years later and we're still fans, probably still some staff or managers and followers of the activity, not to mention I'm sure there are many like me whose best friends today are the ones we marched with all those years ago. We still hang out, remember the old days and watch Finals and other shows together on FloMarching, so with that, I think the question of the experience speaks for itself. 

As for which corps? At the end of it all, it doesn't matter. You'll be a better adult in the future regardless of your choice. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, detergant said:

I am  trying out for DCI this upcoming season. I've been leaning towards either the Mandarins or the Academy. What corps did you guys start out in and how were your experiences in them? 

haven't both already set their membership? I had heard Mandarins had... do you have contract offers at each? 

54 minutes ago, detergant said:

I am  trying out for DCI this upcoming season. I've been leaning towards either the Mandarins or the Academy. 

You probably mean " 2020 season " ?   2019, this " upcoming season ", except for Guard, both Corps I believe are mostly involved in call backs/ contracts at this stage, I would imagine.

Guys, don't kill his dreams. 🙂  Find a corps, any corps, young person. Your life will change forever. 

• Confused 1

Follow the advice given here, be it 2019 or 2020. Work ethic goes a LONG way and you will come out of the experience with positive changes you can't even imagine. And if you can't find a DCI corps to march in this summer, consider an upper tier DCA corps. It will give you a great introduction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, detergant said:

Drum Corps is a great experience for most who march, no matter the Corps, no matter the years they marched. Both Drum Corps you mentioned here, ie the Mandarins and Academy are fine Corps that likely will provide you with wholesome enjoyment and personal growth development. Whatever Corps becomes your Corps, best of success to you !

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 1:28 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

Guys, don't kill his dreams. 🙂  Find a corps, any corps, young person. Your life will change forever. 

Don't listen to this guy. Try out for the best corps that is holding a tryout closest to you. If you don't make it then shoot for one a little lower. You don't want to be in a corps that is below your talent level because it will make for a miserable summer. I know from experience

4 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Don't listen to this guy. Try out for the best corps that is holding a tryout closest to you. If you don't make it then shoot for one a little lower. You don't want to be in a corps that is below your talent level because it will make for a miserable summer. I know from experience

To the original poster detergant:

If you make a corps and find that you are on top of the talented side choose to be a humble mentor, a helper, a guide, a role model. Choose to be a positive influence on others. Then audition for a more demanding corps the next season carrying with you those positive traits. I know that from personal experience. Or you can choose to be miserable. But be aware that typically leads to becoming condscending, self-centered, and not valuing the opinions and advice of others. Your choice in behavior now will play a part in defining your character as you move into the future.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 4