Amateur

Perhaps you're right, Stu on today's kids, I can't say for sure as I personally know zero current  MMs. If I had to guess, I would think the number of current MMs posting on DCP is rather low as well. In the short time I've been actively posting, I just get the impression that most of us are formers going from recent to all the way back to the dinosaur age like me.  

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I was more talking along the lines of love and loyalty. While there always has been some who jump ship to another ship, it was very rare 30 years ago. A youth would audition for a corps because they loved the corps, stayed with that corps out of loyality, helped that corps climb; loyality and love. Now it is audition for a lower corps, perform one year, audition for a middle corps, perform two years, then audition and age-out with one of the current top eliete. And even then there may be some jump from one eliete to another prior to age-out. Just curious as to what happened to both love and loyality to just one corps.

I’m seeing it as someone wants to be in a top corps and best way to achieve that goal is to start and gain experience in lower corps. 30 years ago would be easier to get into the corps you wanted as didn’t have the number of people trying out like today.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m seeing it as someone wants to be in a top corps and best way to achieve that goal is to start and gain experience in lower corps. 30 years ago would be easier to get into the corps you wanted as didn’t have the number of people trying out like today.

And it is the lack of respect, loyality, and love for the first corps; the self-centered desire to 'use' the first corps in order to take your improved skills into another more eliete corps which is way, way, way more prevalent today than back then.

That loyality and love likely does still exist in pockets. In the past few years I would venture to say that the reason the Mandarins are climbing is because they are rarity today. They likely have members who desire to be Mandarins; who exhibit loyalty, love, and respect for the Mandarins; which in turn drives members to stay being Mandarins instead of using the corps to develop skills in order to audition for say BD.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

And it is the lack of respect, loyality, and love for the first corps; the self-centered desire to 'use' the first corps in order to take your improved skills into another more eliete corps which is way, way, way more prevalent today than back then.

Wow wanting to improve your talents so you can be in an better group so you can improve even more is a bad thing to you. If a member gives their all the entire season for the corps they are in that is not “using” the Corps to me.

Guess when people cut their teeth in Sr corps I was in and then went on to DCI corps we should have shunned them instead of welcoming them back after they aged out. Oh wait we cheered them on when they were in DCI. “Where’s Cameron?” “oh yeah you are away at college and didn’t hear, he’s doing Crossmen this year”. “Cool”

Edited by JimF-LowBari

53 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow wanting to improve your talents so you can be in an better group so you can improve even more is a bad thing to you. If a member gives their all the entire season for the corps they are in that is not “using” the Corps to me.

Guess when people cut their teeth in Sr corps I was in and then went on to DCI corps we should have shunned them instead of welcoming them back after they aged out. Oh wait we cheered them on when they were in DCI. “Where’s Cameron?” “oh yeah you are away at college and didn’t hear, he’s doing Crossmen this year”. “Cool”

I never said good or bad. I just said loyality, love, and respect given to one corps until age-out to help them rise to greatness was way more prevalent then as to now; as opposed to the corps hopping from a lower corps to an already existing elite corps for individual gratification of possibly getting a ring which is prevalent today. And you missed placing my first paragraph in context with my second. So here it is again:

That loyality and love likely does still exist in pockets. In the past few years I would venture to say that the reason the Mandarins are climbing is because they are rarity today. They likely have members who desire to be Mandarins; who exhibit loyalty, love, and respect for the Mandarins; which in turn drives members to stay being Mandarins instead of using the corps to develop skills in order to audition for say BD.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I never said good or bad. I just said loyality, love, and respect given to one corps until age-out to help them rise to greatness was way more prevalent then as to now; as opposed to the corps hopping from a lower corps to an already existing elite corps for individual gratification of possibly getting a ring which is prevalent today. 

One doesn’t have to use the words good or bad to get the point across. Saying there is less loyalty, love and respect, and more corps hopping and instant gratification gets the idea that things have gone downhill with today’s members across very well. 

Then again I look at it as none of my #### business what anyone does, especially with what dues run today.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

One doesn’t have to use the words good or bad to get the point across. Saying there is less loyalty, love and respect, and more corps hopping and instant gratification gets the idea that things have gone downhill with today’s members across very well. 

Then again I look at it as none of my #### business what anyone does, especially with what dues run today.

Again you took it out of context with the second paragraph; so again here is the second paragraph; and please address it in the manner you addressed the first.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Again you took it out of context with the second paragraph; so again here is the second paragraph; and please address it in the manner you addressed the first.

I did not take it out of context. I was only responding to the first paragraph. 

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I did not take it out of context. I was only responding to the first paragraph. 

The only way to correctly understand my first paragraph is by placing it context with the second. So, please address the second paragraph concerning the Mandarins, or your response to the first will still be a response out of context.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

The only way to correctly understand my first paragraph is by placing it context with the second. So, please address the second paragraph concerning the Mandarins, or your response to the first will still be a response out of context.

Stu I know you said please but I have nothing to say concerning the second paragraph. Take as you wish but I’m not going to say something just because you want me to. Have a good evening