Amateur

2 hours ago, Stu said:

To the original poster detergant:

If you make a corps and find that you are on top of the talented side choose to be a humble mentor, a helper, a guide, a role model. Choose to be a positive influence on others. Then audition for a more demanding corps the next season carrying with you those positive traits. I know that from personal experience. Or you can choose to be miserable. But be aware that typically leads to becoming condscending, self-centered, and not valuing the opinions and advice of others. Your choice in behavior now will play a part in defining your character as you move into the future.

BTW I didn't march glassmen and won't reveal who I marched for, only that it sucked going to shows and having our colorguard get beaten by pioneer while us and the drumline consistently competed with top 12 corps. It also sucked having holes half the season, that's why I suggest to people they should shoot for the stars. I wasn't miserable, that was probably a bit too harsh of a word but I would be lying if I told you that I didn't regret at least trying out for a better corps. I just didn't know any better. And to your point about just taking what you learn into the next season, I couldn't march more than one season because it's expensive as hell to do drum corps. 

13 minutes ago, GlassmenBtone said:

BTW I didn't march glassmen and won't reveal who I marched for, only that it sucked going to shows and having our colorguard get beaten by pioneer while us and the drumline consistently competed with top 12 corps. It also sucked having holes half the season, that's why I suggest to people they should shoot for the stars. I wasn't miserable, that was probably a bit too harsh of a word but I would be lying if I told you that I didn't regret at least trying out for a better corps. I just didn't know any better. And to your point about just taking what you learn into the next season, I couldn't march more than one season because it's expensive as hell to do drum corps. 

6 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Don't listen to this guy.

Everyone is different. If you go with a “lesser” corps knowing how scores and placing will probably fall, it’s up to you if you are ok with that. With the money involved and usually one or two years marching it’s a different game from my day so not much sense comparing 

Just ask yourself is it more important to you to march top corps only or be able to march. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have marched both “lesser corps” and “top corps.” I learned a lot at each level and have no regrets.

Went from last place at DCA prelims to 6th at Finals my last year (6 seasons). Corps was local and rebuilding and was very honest in telling members first few years would be not too rewarding. So no regrets either

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Went from last place at DCA prelims to 6th at Finals my last year (6 seasons). Corps was local and rebuilding and was very honest in telling members first few years would be not too rewarding. So no regrets either

Same experience when I came back to drum corps and marched DCA. But we all knew we were working towards a future....building a foundation for success. Being part of that makes me proud of my corps and it's current and past MM's, staff, volunteers and of myself. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have marched both “lesser corps” and “top corps.” I learned a lot at each level and have no regrets.

Norwood Park taught me a lot about transitioning from being a band kid to being a drum corps member.  The only thing I’d change would be marching in that ‘79 Guardsmen brassline.  One for the ages and definitely an opportunity missed.  My advice would be to take the opportunities when they are presented to you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1