Amateur

On 2/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, GlassmenBtone said:

BTW I didn't march glassmen and won't reveal who I marched for, only that it sucked going to shows and having our colorguard get beaten by pioneer while us and the drumline consistently competed with top 12 corps.

It took about a week for me to finish this project, not a top priority, not even a priority at all, but just a mere curiosity.

Nowhere in any DCI recaps, for any season in the past twenty years, can I find where there has ever been a corps in which the color guard scores are below or even with Pioneer and the percussion or brass scores are above or even with the Top-Twelve WC.

Of course my research could be wrong; and if that is the case please post a link to the recap which indicates I am in error.

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

It took about a week for me to finish this project, not a top priority, not even a priority at all, but just a mere curiosity.

Nowhere in any DCI recaps, for any season in the past twenty years, can I find where there has ever been a corps in which the color guard scores are below or even with Pioneer and the percussion or brass scores are above or even with the Top-Twelve WC.

Of course my research could be wrong; and if that is the case please post a link to the recap which indicates I am in error.

Then his claim is probably not literally true.  You know, like when screen name GlassmenBtone says he did not march Glassmen.

(My money is on Teal Sound.)

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Then his claim is probably not literally true.  You know, like when screen name GlassmenBtone says he did not march Glassmen.

Screen name is a red herring? 

Edited by ibexpercussion

On 2/15/2019 at 1:12 PM, detergant said:

I am  trying out for DCI this upcoming season. I've been leaning towards either the Mandarins or the Academy. What corps did you guys start out in and how were your experiences in them? 

Obviously, geography and finances are going to play a role in the decision you make regarding where to audition. Ultimately, find one that can help you grow as a musician, get the fantastic drum corps experience, and give yourself a chance to make a Top-12 group (assuming you don't make one your first time out) in the years that follow.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

Obviously, geography and finances are going to play a role in the decision you make regarding where to audition. Ultimately, find one that can help you grow as a musician, get the fantastic drum corps experience, and give yourself a chance to make a Top-12 group (assuming you don't make one your first time out) in the years that follow.

There was a time where even an excellent player decided to stay loyal to their corps (ie Chad Sexton and River City Railmen), and the younger performers stood with honor and commitment until age-out as they helped a lower placing corps grow into a competitive top caliber corps. While there still might be a few today who commit to those characteristics, I wonder culturally speaking whatever happened to that mind-set?

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Teal is a good guess. He did come clean about his screen name, but I am looking at the two criteria set forth by the poster in which he still states as fact. While their (Teal) guard scoring at times was near Pioneer, their brass and percussion scores were better but never close to being in the Top-Twelve. So if the poster is looking at the guard with contempt, and looking at the brass/perc with rose-colored hind-site I want to believe glasses, then Teal is likely a good guess.

Extra note: If it is Teal there is a huge Irony here. Both Glassmen and Teal hurt the youth in the same manner with neglected finances.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

There was a time where even an excellent player decided to stay loyal to their corps (ie Chad Sexton and River City Railmen), and the younger performers stood with honor and commitment until age-out as they helped a lower placing corps grow into a competitive top caliber corps. While there still might be a few today who commit to those characteristics, I wonder culturally speaking whatever happened to that mind-set?

Few years ago asked about why people went to top corps instead of lower. Good many responses was they could only afford in time and money to do corps one season. Might be part of the answer here. 

Back to original question. If you are a music major in whatever area (teaching, performance, whatever) maybe check with corps if they would be a good fit with your major.

hey I took IT back when it was called Computer Science so clueless with music majors. But though just occurred to me.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:44 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have marched both “lesser corps” and “top corps.” I learned a lot at each level and have no regrets.

The most fun I had was not the year we won. 

• Like 1

Back in the 1970's we all marched with a variety of corps and majority of us didn't have to be in a top 12 corps. Today...different story. You'll get a good education in any corps this coming season or any season!