GlassmenBtone

I think George Hopkins is innocent

Recommended Posts

Another thought:  Replace GH with the Duke Lacrosse team.  Or replace GH with the UVa fraternity accused of rape.  I don't jump to conclusions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t this beaten horse dead yet?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete Leland said:

Another thought:  Replace GH with the Duke Lacrosse team.  Or replace GH with the UVa fraternity accused of rape.  I don't jump to conclusions.

While the sensational will jump to guilt before innocence, like you I do not jump to conclusions either; I have not convicted anyone of anything in the court of law. I only form my public opinion based on publicly known information. And if I discover the information has been presented in error I will recant my opinion. However, before I do your jumping to conclusion name replacement, here is the question I have for you: Did the Lacrosse players or fraternity members admit that they in fact had sex with the intoxicated women and subsequently use that as a consensual defense?

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I met the man when I marched and he seemed like a great guy. The cadets under his leadership have always been one of my favorite corps. I genuinely don't want to believe he raped any of those women

I get how you feel. I was a supporter of John Edwards, and it was so disappointing when it turned out a few years later that he'd cheated on his ailing wife with an employee, and not only that but he had fathered a child by the employee, and not only that but he covered it up by paying another employee to pretend to be the father, and not only that but he'd used illict funds to do so (and only escaped a guilty verdict due to some slipperiness in the way the law is written).

But eventually, you just have to accept the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I get how you feel. I was a supporter of John Edwards, and it was so disappointing when it turned out a few years later that he'd cheated on his ailing wife with an employee, and not only that but he had fathered a child by the employee, and not only that but he covered it up by paying another employee to pretend to be the father, and not only that but he'd used illict funds to do so (and only escaped a guilty verdict due to some slipperiness in the way the law is written).

But eventually, you just have to accept the truth.

Oh how I want to jump at that last statement of bait! But the debate posts flowing thereafter would likely get the two of us banned for life!!! :satisfied:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

I've never understood why in these "he said she said" situations we should always trust the woman's word.

Well, in this case it is more like "he said she said she said she said she said she said she said she said she said she said she said she said she said"

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you MikeD.... and being serious here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GlassmenBtone said:

Then explain why when Yea investigated the allegations, none of the accusers wanted to cooperate.

Because the YEA board refused to conduct a proper investigation, with GH suspended during said investigation.  That means the accusers would have had to reveal everything, including their identities, while the accused retained power to retaliate against them.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Because the YEA board refused to conduct a proper investigation, with GH suspended during said investigation.  That means the accusers would have had to reveal everything, including their identities, while the accused retained power to retaliate against them.

IMO having a group investigate itself is improper no matter how they do it. And considering the money involved makes self investigation even more improper.

More I think about it the dumber or more sinister yea self investigation becomes. The organization lives on having young people go on tour with the thought they would be safe doing so. It’s not like something funky going on at a store you shop at and leave, this is something that goes on with your kids out of sight. You’d think yea would want to make sure there is not even the appearance that something was missed or buried. (Remember those things called recruiting and fund raising?) So instead of getting an independent investigator it was “sure we’ll look into it”. 

Can just picture a parent of a possible recruit:

so what happened to that sex scandal the corps had?

it was looked into and everything is cool now

who invested?

we investigated ourselves 

BYE!!!

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GH's guilt or innocence will ultimately be decided in court...but the subject of sexual impropriety in drum corps by both staff and marchers has been known since I marched in the 60's...the difference, I believe, is the rising understanding that the time has come to respect the minds and bodies of these youth, who put their trust in this activity..also, being a father has made me reflect on what was acceptable then vs. now...I'm actually glad that GH got busted..not because of guilt or innocence, but to bring focus on that swept under the carpet topic of abuse..peace

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.