Unique?

Just something that popped into my head...are drum corps and associated endeavors in the so-called 'marching arts' unique in that the performances are scored by adding up the weighted scores of individual judges who are evaluating different aspects of the performance? I can't think of any other activity which is adjudicated in a similar way, but I'm dense sometimes. So... 

41 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

Just something that popped into my head...are drum corps and associated endeavors in the so-called 'marching arts' unique in that the performances are scored by adding up the weighted scores of individual judges who are evaluating different aspects of the performance? I can't think of any other activity which is adjudicated in a similar way, but I'm dense sometimes. So... 

Figure Skating, Ice Dancing, Gymnastics, Cheerleading, American Idol, Grammys, Oscars, any type of art competition, Food Tasting, ...

Edited by Stu

On the subject for once, I remember Jim Prime Sr. discussing the first MA sheets that came out. All they said was "Music Analysis, 10 Points" and a line for the Judge's signature. Again, the adjudicator was trusted enough at that time to know what that meant and score accordingly. The problem was... there weren't enough Jim Sr.s around to do it that way for too long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Figure Skating, Ice Dancing, Gymnastics, Cheerleading, American Idol, Grammys, Oscars, any type of art competition, Food Tasting, ...

I guess I was thinking the uniqueness would be in different judges evaluating different portions of the performance. In American Idol or skating its not that one judge does effect, another execution, etc, but all judges evaluate the totality of the presentation.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mfrontz said:

I guess I was thinking the uniqueness would be in different judges evaluating different portions of the performance. In American Idol or skating its not that one judge does effect, another execution, etc, but all judges evaluate the totality of the presentation.

This is what I thought you meant. I can't really think of anything at the moment that is quite like DCI or various band judging. In Olympic judging each judge looks at all aspects of the program. I'd be interested to see how scores would be with each judge looking at each caption, but drum corps and band judging is difficult because you're combining brass, percussion, guard, visual design, general effect, visual proficiency, and more.  Simply put there are certain people who are more qualified to judge certain areas. 

Edited by jwillis35

amateur figure skating evaluation changed from the holistic 6.0 scale long ago.  execution and effect are indeed judged separately with exhaustive rubrics.  they even do close-up slo-mo playbacks of skating blades now to judge execution.

as far as drum corps goes, i personally think rubrics are pretty stupid.  the most precise language possible in a rubric for judging something about "effect" is still incredibly subjective for a scorer to assign a number to. 

Edited by Lance

On 2/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, Lance said:

amateur figure skating evaluation changed from the holistic 6.0 scale long ago.  execution and effect are indeed judged separately with exhaustive rubrics.  they even do close-up slo-mo playbacks of skating blades now to judge execution.

as far as drum corps goes, i personally think rubrics are pretty stupid.  the most precise language possible in a rubric for judging something about "effect" is still incredibly subjective for a scorer to assign a number to. 

Thanks, that's interesting and I did not know that. Been a while since I've watched figure skating.

When I took a class in public speaking, the grade was determined by three different professors. The belief was that public speaking involved more than comfortability behind a microphone. Your content had to be correct and your presentation relevant for the audience.  A portion of the grade was based on the content of the presentation. A second professor graded the suitability for the audience. A third graded the presentation from the public speaking perspective. When I supervised student teachers, I had to write specific evaluations for different areas and the final grade was determined by professors in certain areas.whether the scoring for drum corps is unique for competitive activities I cannot say with expertise but it is common in certain settings.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, Lance said:

Truth here but it does give a start for talking points for discussion and interaction between the adjudicator and staff.