Bluecoats Monday Memory: A Season That You Won’t Want To Miss

After stabilizing as a Top 12 Finalist in 1988, the Bluecoats took a new competitive step in 1989 with a different design staff. Entering the winter season, business appeared as usual as members reported for their first camp after Thanksgiving and picked up the “blue pages” of rules, regulations and the cost of being a […]

View the full article

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

They finished 11th in 87 and 88.  

That would constitute " stabilizing as a Top 12 Finalist in 1988 " ( which is what was printed above )  no ?

Edited by BRASSO

13 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Two different paragraphs mentioned different years for first making top 12.

I don't get that from my reading of this ghost. Unless I'm  missing something you caught, the article seems consistent to me anyway.

Looking at their schedule that year.....I remember when they would come to Baltimore for a weekend camp, usually around Easter weekend. We ran into a bunch of them down at the Inner Harbor one of those years.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Looking at their schedule that year.....I remember when they would come to Baltimore for a weekend camp, usually around Easter weekend. We ran into a bunch of them down at the Inner Harbor one of those years.

Did the Harrisburg Forum show a bunch of years but not sure when as the years run together. Show was April so maybe the camp and show were part of the weekend. Not sure what Larry H was doing with them if anything at the time.

That was the first year I ever saw a drum corps performance, at Byers Field in Parma, although I had seen Cadets rehearse (not to mention sleeping in our gym) that year and the previous year, and the Bluecoats sent a couple guys to recruit at our school a year or two earlier as well (unsuccessfully: the pitch was not well done). I still remember the sopranos lined up each with his hand on his neighbor's shoulder, in "Sing Sing Sing".

A good year for the corps: the first time they scored 90 in Finals.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

It wasn't 89. There was a change in schedule and they ended up doing the spring drill camp at the RCA Dome (Hoosier Dome).

Although I may have been there, Fran! We did those spring Baltimore Armory camps in 1990 and 1991 when I marched. Although it may have been earlier as they were there in 86, 87, 88. Maybe before that too!