DCI alumni "retirement" research study

A drum corps alumnus is doing a research project with Baylor University and the more respondents (DCI Alumni) that take part, the better the results. I took the survey and it had me thinking in  new ways about my experience. If you are a DCI alumni, please consider taking some time to complete! 

ATTENTION DCI ALUMNI: we all know the tremendous emotional impact that DCI has. As with any elite athletics, these emotions come in dramatic highs and lows. Especially after returning to “real life” these lows can become particularly heightened. The best way we can continue to support such a dear organization and its current performers is to better understand what factors may influence the emotional impact of DCI. I have been granted the opportunity to create a forum for us to embrace this goal through a research study at Baylor University. PLEASE take the time to complete this survey to continue growing DCI into the most positive formative experience it can be for future members.

An Examination of Forced Retirement on Elite Marching Athletes

https://baylor.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cunDQQiEJDOpUWx

OK, I worked for 20 minutes on this ridiculous survey, and after about the 500th time I answered the same question, I closed the browser window.

Waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was starting to think I'd fallen for some hoax after question 15 or so. Then I looked ahead and saw there were probably at least another 50 questions to go, so I shut it down.

I don't recall being traumatized or suicidal after aging out of drum corps which seemed to be the answers the survey was looking for. Maybe things are different today. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I was starting to think I'd fallen for some hoax after question 15 or so. Then I looked ahead and saw there were probably at least another 50 questions to go, so I shut it down.

I don't recall being traumatized or suicidal after aging out of drum corps which seemed to be the answers the survey was looking for. Maybe things are different today. 

If you had finished with answers that reflect your experience that you describe above,  there would be more data to understand similarities and differences. But if you're more concerned about distrusting "what answers they are looking for" I guess quitting may have been the better option? 

18 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

If you had finished with answers that reflect your experience that you describe above,  there would be more data to understand similarities and differences. But if you're more concerned about distrusting "what answers they are looking for" I guess quitting may have been the better option? 

Why criticize people for stopping a poorly written survey.

I stopped as well for the same reasons. 

• Like 3

Im not sure it was poorly written for "something." Just seemed like mostly a stock survey for something a bit more traumatic than the horrors of aging out.

Judging by the reactions I've read here I think I'll pass on this one...

12 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

For anybody who is an older aged adult you will likely understand the following: You are in the attic and run across some old papers you wrote in school. You look at the titles and remember how important and noteworthy they were. That is until you read them. Then you sort of chuckle. Because they are rather sophmoric; not that they were written in your second year; but rather in the true sense of being from the Greek: sophos 'wise' + mōros 'foolish'. The time period where you transitioned from aquiring knowledge and began to implement wisdom while stumbling through foolishness. That is why I am seeing this for what it is, which is an academic project done by a student.

Would be interested to know how many respond that yeah they missed it but real life filled the void real quick. Interested as left a Sr corps at age 22 after college so I jokingly say I aged out of DCA.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would be interested to know how many respond that yeah they missed it but real life filled the void real quick. Interested as left a Sr corps at age 22 after college so I jokingly say I aged out of DCA.

Same here, Jim. At age 24.  LOL.

Had opportunities to march with two different DCI corps...one was an outside shot at best... but neither chance panned out.

Being with a DCA corps that won twice and finished third another time in my last three years of junior eligibility... that eased the pain just a tad. :tongue:

• Haha 1