DCI alumni "retirement" research study

I'm with Stu on this one: " That is why I am seeing this for what it is, which is an academic project done by a student".

The world has yet to see a survey that is unbiased or doesn't have an agenda. That's just a given, in my opinion. That does not necessarily invalidate the process. Indeed, as an undergraduate, this young woman will derive a good working knowledge of how surveys work, which is probably more important than any data collected by this one.

Consider this: All time-limited experiences have end dates. One graduates from high school, college, goes on a cruise,...etc. These limitations and end dates are known in advance and are anticipated. They are not in themselves traumatic, unexpected events. You may be nostalgic for the experience, but moving on from drum corps will not likely turn one into Vicki the Vampire, unless one already had some "issues" to begin with.

Taking this survey will assist a corps alumna to complete the process of graduating from a prestigious university, an event which I trust is unlikely to produce any significant trauma for her.

That survey felt unnecessarily long, but I did finish. I'd be curious to see the results.

• Like 1

I have not looked at the survey since I am not a DCI alum, but to be fair to the person who created the survey, sometimes surveys you have to create for a class can be repetitious because the assignment has certain requirements for collecting information and set of results has to be used for one paper, another for a second paper, etc. I’m not saying this is the case, but it could be.

The results could be interesting. To be honest, I’m not sure I would consider aging out “forced retirement” since a marching member knows the requirements before joining. This is not to minimize the emotions when junior corps marching comes to an end. Spend time at the airport in Indy after finals and it is an emotional “cry me a river time. For others it is a “life goes on” reaction. For some, talking about drum corps days is like Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days” and others loved their time but never go to a show again or if they do, it’s occasional. I’d also love to know how those who grew up in drum corps experienced life after drum corps as opposed to those who marched for just a year or two. 

If this is part of the learning process for the student then more power to them. 

Didnt look as not Jr corps member....

I didn't march either.

After reading some of the posts,I was curious about the survey,so I "fudged"  answers  so I could go through it.

I just never submitted it.

From reading the instructions,unless you do submit the completed survey,the results aren't recorded.

Edited by rpbobcat