Your Ultimate Finals

2018 Vanguard getting a lot of love, especially for a corps with such a storied history to choose from

"instant classic" seems appropriate 

12. 2000 Boston

11. 2014 BK

10. 1992 Crossmen

9. 1985 SCV

8. 2014 Crown

7. 1993 Cadets

6. 1988 Madison

5. 2014 Bluecoats

4. 2002 Cavies

3. 1989 Phantom Reg.

2. 1986 BD

1. 1991 Star of Indiana

• Like 1

12.  2002 Crossmen (Arranger X!)

11.  1978 North Star

10.  1980 27th Lancers

9.  1974 Troopers

8.  1989 Star of Indiana

7.  2016 Bluecoats

Intermission  Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project

6.  1988 Blue Devils

5.  2006 Phantom Regiment 

4.  1995 Madison Scouts

3.  2006 Cavaliers

2.  1985 Garfield Cadets

1.  1987 SCV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

How did people feel about Denver/Mile High as a finals venue in 2004? My fave finals to march at. 

Agreed. 2004 Finals in Denver was great. 

I have been to DATR the last 6 years, and feel Mile High is the best stadium for a large regional, or if we ever go outdoor again, the venue for Finals. 

Lot/ Warm Up area: All around the stadium. Easy to find corps and walk around during pre show, or if you are just into seeing corps in the Lot. 

In Stadium: The 300 section of the stadium, which features the United Airlines Club, is fantastic. Blue Knights sell seats in this section for 50.00 to 80.00 each year, and its the place to be. You get access to an indoor bar, concessions, bathrooms, and a large screen to watch shows if you don’t want to be out in the stadium seating.

And there is really not a bad seat anywhere in the stadium. Acoustically, its phenomenal. And the crisp air of Denver summer nights, makes it perfect. True  there have been some rainstorms I have been in, ( ie: BK had an epic performance of their Firebird show, “Avian”, a few years ago in the rain). But the last few years, the weather has been perfect. 

Its pure Drum Corps joy to go to this show each year.  

Edited by Dmlkmen

25 minutes ago, Dmlkmen said:

And there is really not a bad seat anywhere in the stadium. Acoustically, its phenomenal. And the crisp air of Denver summer nights, makes it perfect.

Takes me back to 8/7/04. I had just completed my first year marching the day before at Semis, I was two weeks from startinf college, and I was watching Cavies’ “007” and SCV’s “Scheherezade” from the top deck. Maybe my fondest DCI memory.

• Thanks 1

Great offseason topic. Couldn’t resist. 

My Ultimate Finals:

Venue:   Broncos Stadium at Mile High- Denver, CO 

Weather: Partly Cloudy skies, 71 degrees, calm wind, 15% humidity

Before the Show - Exhibition: 2004 San Francisco Renegades ( DCA) 

7:00pm   -   National Anthem and America the Beautiful- U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps with special guests, The Troopers Alumni Honor/Color Guard presenting colors. 

7:06pm   -  1992 Velvet Knights ( in Finals due to a rare tie for 12th in Semis with 91 Crossmen). 

7:30pm   -  1991 Crossmen 

7:47pm   -  2012  Carolina Crown 

8:04pm   -  2000 Boston Crusaders   

8:21pm   -  2015 Bluecoats 

8:38pm   - 1995 Madison Scouts

8:55pm  -  1980 Spirit of Atlanta 

9:12pm  -INT-  To fix the glass window shattered in the Press Box by back to back 95 Scouts and 80 Spirit of Atlanta performances. (Crack started by 2004 San Francisco Renegades).

-During INT, I go down to the lot to see 1990 Star of Indiana during warm up. I get a chance to sit in the center of the arc, as they play their opener. 

9:35pm  - 2002 Cavaliers  

9:52pm   -1993 Cadets of Bergen County   

10:09pm -1999 Santa Clara Vanguard 

10:26pm - 1990 Star of Indiana  

10:43pm -1991 Phantom Regiment 

11:00pm -1988 Blue Devils

11:25pm - ( Exhibition) 2007 Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps

11:47pm -Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps drumline provides cadence for corps entering field for retreat. 

12::05am- Awards. With a tie for first - 1990 Star of Indiana and 1988 Blue Devils 

1:00 am - I head over to SCV busses to hear  “ Clowns” played for the last time, to end the season. 

Edited by Dmlkmen

On 3/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, On the 50 said:

Each year after the first few shows, once I've had a chance to see everybody, I "take inventory" so to speak and gauge how good a year it seems to be. I do a little comparison of each corps' current show to the previous year's show - better, worse, or about the same (hey, I'm an optometrist, so it's in my nature :27_sunglasses:). The quality and engagement level of show design of course fluctuates in this activity as in any creative endeavor. If most corps are better or at least as good as the prior year, it's a good year. I've often thought , particularly doing this comparison, "Wouldn't it be awesome if every corps knocked it out of the park with their show design and had their best show ever - all in the same year?" Of course, this would never happen and it would make the next year a pretty big letdown most likely. But it's fun to think about. Or, what if you could bring back any show from the past and see it live? What would your "Ultimate Finals" look like? There have been lots of discussion and polls over the years about the best or favorite shows, but I don't recall seeing one quite like this. Here are the criteria: pick twelve different corps (not different shows/years from the same corps) and the show from each that would be in your personal Ultimate Finals competition, as well as the performance order and venue. This doesn't necessarily have to be what you think are the "best" or highest scoring shows, but the ones that would make for the most enjoyable evening for you personally. And I'm not looking for scores or how you think the competition would shake out - just what would leave you the most entertained by the performances on their own merits. You can choose any Finalist show from any year in the DCI era.

Here's my Ultimate Finals:

Venue: Camp Randall Stadium - Madison, WI (packed to the gills)

Weather: Clear skies, 79 degrees, calm wind, 35% humidity

Before the Show - Future Corps outside the stadium

7:00pm   -   National Anthem - Al Chez

7:06pm   -   2000 U.S. Marine Drum & Bugle Corps (Exhibition)

7:30pm   -   1992 Crossmen

7:47pm   -   1980 Spirit of Atlanta

8:04pm   -   1980 Bridgemen

8:21pm   -   2004 Cavaliers

8:38pm   -   1993 Star of Indiana

8:55pm   -   1995 Madison Scouts

9:12pm   -   Intermission - DrumLine Battle: The Old Guard vs. Hellcats

9:35pm   -   2016 Bluecoats

9:52pm   -   1987 Garfield Cadets

10:09pm -   2013 Carolina Crown

10:26pm -   2017 Blue Devils

10:43pm -   2008 Phantom Regiment

11:00pm -   2018 Santa Clara Vanguard

11:25pm -   1994 27th Lancers Alumni Corps (Exhibition)

11:47pm -   Ambulance to nearest ER, possibly coroner

That's a killer show. I don't know if I could watch another live DCI show after seeing this. I'd likely need a few years away just to recoup.  All fantastic and legendary shows!

59 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

That's a killer show. I don't know if I could watch another live DCI show after seeing this. I'd likely need a few years away just to recoup.  All fantastic and legendary shows!

I you had seen all of those shows live, would that count?  Putting all of those shows on the same night would be "murder" on the judges and on the corps also.  Placement would be impossible. But I see where you are going here, but I feel that if I have seen all of these shows live, then I have seen this "fantasy" show.

• Like 1