Random 2006 Cadets/San Antonio question

I was in charge of Props that year. I think that was the year it was so hot outside that I got burnt through my shirt. I remember running shady spot to shady spot trying to get back to the hotel. I think that was the year.

Yes.

Hop was upset that he heard a few members before the regional talking about being caught (competitively) by corps that were behind us. After our performance, he lectured us on keeping our focus on the groups ahead of us, and said that we needed to see what they were doing. (I’m paraphrasing)

There were many of us vets who were NOT about to sit and watch other corps in uniform (at the time, watching another corps while we were in uniform was a big no-no). Many of us refused to sit in the stands, and instead stayed “under the stands” (in the walkway) at parade rest for the full length of time. My memory is a little fuzzy as to what happened after the corps was finally allowed to leave the stadium, but I remember Hop being absolutely irate that we would disobey him. There was almost a coup among the membership that night, from what I remember.

2006 was one of the roughest summers of my time with the corps for a multitude of reasons.

-MT

Cadets baritone 2000-2007

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, doogiempt said:

Yes.

Hop was upset that he heard a few members before the regional talking about being caught (competitively) by corps that were behind us. After our performance, he lectured us on keeping our focus on the groups ahead of us, and said that we needed to see what they were doing. (I’m paraphrasing)

There were many of us vets who were NOT about to sit and watch other corps in uniform (at the time, watching another corps while we were in uniform was a big no-no). Many of us refused to sit in the stands, and instead stayed “under the stands” (in the walkway) at parade rest for the full length of time. My memory is a little fuzzy as to what happened after the corps was finally allowed to leave the stadium, but I remember Hop being absolutely irate that we would disobey him. There was almost a coup among the membership that night, from what I remember.

2006 was one of the roughest summers of my time with the corps for a multitude of reasons.

-MT

I'd heard he was challenged a few times that summer.

6 hours ago, doogiempt said:

Yes.

-MT

Yea. I was in the corps too, just that year, and just wondered if anyone else remembered that.  I rode the brass bus but wasn’t really in the know with vets. There certainly were a lot of INTERESTING episodes. Hop constantly antagonized the members. My impression was that it was one of five or six near-mutinies that summer. 

9 hours ago, doogiempt said:

Yes.

-MT

Yes, I vaguely remember that day. That was a weird year. So much talent but so many little squabbles.