DCI FINALS .... of just The Cadet (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen, etc) shows.

To bad no one said 1972! Oh just did!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Super Don-O said:

93 In the Spring When Kings Go Off to War - for being unrelenting 

Mare you saying the show was “Relentless?”

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

1.  2005  The Zone- That corps was Excellent. Aungst's drumline was so good, they sang their parts and still took percussion. I remember the percussion section cutting practice short for an ice cream break. ( the whole corps actually) That Brass line was impeccable, Gino had them believing they could do anything. I saw the guard and front ensemble working on the ballad together in Allentown a week before finals. I stood there mesmerized. Sully wrote a groundbreaking show that year. The only corps to sweep every caption and sub-caption. 
  2. 1987 Appalachian spring -This is my favorite Cadet show of all time. I remember the chills I got seeing it live at finals, much like the chills I'm getting now thinking about it. Beautiful, Powerful music, Dissolving company front, Gold Medal and a perfect drum score to boot. Wow!
  3. 2000 We are the Future- Some people say this show was all about the ending. I say it was the awesome music and marching in the beginning and middle. The ending was the cherry on top of a delicious show.
  4. 2007 This I Believe- This show holds a special place in my heart. This Cadet corps was really good. A group of kids that had to be strong in the face critics that were adverse to change (vocals) in drum corps. This corps blazed a trail of wins through the west coast, performed great through the idiots that Boo'd during semi-finals and performed spectacularly during finals. This show should have won. 
  5. 1993 In the Springtime When Kings go off to War- At the time I said 1993 was a battle of the best of what drum corps is and what drum corps will be in the future. I loved this show. Fast paced high energy, Powerful and guard that took visual interpretation to the next level. Oh, and that ballad!
  6. 2011 Between Angels and Demons- I never seen a bunch of young people enjoy a drum corps show in all my years of drum corps. Watching the show evolve, the joy of the performers, and the payoff at the end. What a ride. A side note: The corps did a west coast tour that year. I had a bad taste in my mouth from 2007 and was ready to beat the breaks off of the first sign of negativity. The folks on the West coast were as nice and welcoming as they could be. Knocked that chip right off my shoulder.
  7. 1991 ABC's of Modern American Music- I never thought The Cadets could pull off 'Short ride in a fast machine' but my hats off to the percussion arranger. They did! The ballad was a beautiful story well interpreted by the color guard which also cleansed your pallet for the wild Ballz to the Wallz ending. 1991 was an exceptional year for drum corps a year before or after this show would have placed higher.
  8. 2010 West Side Story- This arrangement of WSS was sick! The guard was incredible and if not for a weird 1 point drop in percussion from semi's to finals they would have placed higher. This was my favorite version of WSS in my years of drum corps sonically and visually.
  9. 1983 Rocky Point/Mass- A corps that would not be denied! The Cadets started the season clean and well prepared and ended with their first championship and a first for an east coast corps. That brass line was killing it!
  10. More later.
Edited by boxingfred
added content
  • Like 5

On 3/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, Dmlkmen said:

I am probably going to take flack for where I place 86 and 88. But I can listen to those shows all day, especially 88. Unlike most,  I am not a huge fan of 2000 and 2005. 

12. 1982 -  Only recently discovered this show,. YouTube video. Listen to it often and whistle the Gershwin tune. It’s become an earworm. 

I’m glad you mentioned this show.  It was groundbreaking and paved the way for the Cadets.   I first saw it in Madison at Drums on Parade.  I knew I was seeing something new and different.  I loved it. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, boxingfred said:
  1.  2005  The Zone- That corps was Excellent. Aungst's drumline was so good, they sang their parts and still took percussion. I remember the percussion section cutting practice short for an ice cream break. That Brass line was impeccable, Gino had them believing they could do anything. I saw the guard and front ensemble working on the ballad together in Allentown a week before finals. I stood there mesmerized. Sully wrote a groundbreaking show that year. The only corps to sweep every caption and sub-caption. 
  2. 1987 Appalachian spring -This is my favorite Cadet show of all time. I remember the chills I got seeing it live at finals, much like the chills I'm getting now thinking about it. Beautiful, Powerful music, Dissolving company front, Gold Medal and a perfect drum score to boot. Wow!
  3. 2000 We are the Future- Some people say this show was all about the ending. I say it was the awesome music and marching in the beginning and middle. The ending was the cherry on top of a delicious show.
  4. 2007 This I Believe- This show holds a special place in my heart. This Cadet corps was really good. A group of kids that had to be strong in the face critics that were adverse to change (vocals) in drum corps. This corps blazed a trail of wins through the west coast, performed great through the idiots that Boo'd during semi-finals and performed spectacularly during finals. This show should have won. 
  5. 1993 In the Springtime When Kings go off to War- At the time I said 1993 was a battle of the best of what drum corps is and what drum corps will be in the future. I loved this show. Fast paced high energy, Powerful and guard that took visual interpretation to the next level. Oh, and that ballad!

Man, you’re like my brother from another mother

Your notes bring up so many terrific memories for me as well:

1. Zone. Everything about the corps was excellent. At semis I was sitting beside a somewhat salty old Cavaliers guy and when the brass had that first big hit I leaned over and said “this is what 99+ looks like” - a complete wow

2. 87 was such a display of artistic design (Zingali) brought to life with incredible marching and energy. I could easily but this first if 2005 weren’t so excellent across the board

4. I’m still angry about 2007 lol. I sat by a bunch of members on the plane home. They were in shock for lack of a better word. Stunned 

5. Saw the 93 corps at their very first public performance, I couldn’t take my eyes off the battery and guard - the movement was stunning and just such a GE monster with a fresh moment or idea every five seconds. Just watching the corps in 93 was a cardio workout. The corps just reeked “champions” but then I saw star 93 and I wasn’t so sure. In the end I still believe the Cadets guard pushed them over the edge. What an incredible season that was with Regigment surging in third as well 

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

1. 87 Do I really need to explain this?

2. 93 Best ballad EVER!

3. 92 Tenors, baby!

4. 84 Rumble!

5. 90 Knew it was going to win from first viewing.

6. 91 PRF!

7. 09 Sacktig’s drill in the ballad...MONEY!

8. 00 Battery, baby!

9. 13 Sanford, baby!

10. 05 Drumspeak!

11. 86 On the Waterfront 

12. 03 More cowbell!

• Like 1

I might switch some of them around given more thought, but these are my overall favorites

1. 1997 - Philip Sparke show is still an all time favorite of mine

2. 1992 -- Skies

3. 1993 - King's

4. 1983 - Rocky Point

5. 1971 - America, the Brave...amazing show for its day (plus I marched in it!)

6. 1990 - Mass

7. 2011 - Angels 

8. 1985 - Candide!

9. 2005 - In the Zone

10. 1977 - A blast of a show

11. 1987 - Appalachian Spring

12. 2007 - Love that show!

• Like 2

Might be tough to do 12 but I will do my best.

1. 2000 we are the future. This show is my gold standard for drum corps. I can't say enough good things about it.  I honestly still think this is the best DCI show of all time. It defines an era where complicated drill was pushing it's limit but overall music and entertainment weren't sacrificed in the name of having better visuals.

2. 1985- Jeremiah. I find this to be the best and most entertaining in their threepeat. Besides... it's the championship show from the year I was born.

3. 1993- In the Spring when kings go off to war.  This is just a great, entertaining, well executed show from its time.

4. 2010- Toy Souldier- I think this is where I will lose all credibility but I am just a sucker for this show! It's so endearing and fun.

5. 2011 Angels and Demons- really cool concept with great execution. I would have loved to have been on the demon side playing all of this music.

6. 1998- Stonehenge- This is one of those extremely crisp, clean Cadets shows that makes you say "wow" when you listen to and watch it.  Conceptually it was a little flat though

7.2007- This I believe:  I think this show should have won and didn't because of the controversial overuse of narration. This was a great performance year for the Cadets and they passionately delivered their message WITH WORDS...and like it or not this show set trends that are still commonly used in DCI.

8. 1984- West Side Story. Played a major role in defining the Cadets greatness and much less boring than it's 1983 sister show.

9. 2012- 12.25. I saw this show live from the nosebleeds at finals and thoroughly enjoyed it. Goes really well with drinking Christmas beers in July.

10. 2003- Our favorite things. Any show with Malaguena in it gets a vote from me.

11. 2016- Awakening. Although this year was quite a disaster for the Cadets the trombone opening for the pines of Rome was very robust and powerful. This was actually my husband's favorite show in 2016... because while a weird show...the musical talent and marching execution of the Cadets was still there.

12. Okay okay here it is....

2005 the zone.  I find this show to be very creepy...on so many levels...but it's undeniable how special of a group and performance this was.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Haha 1