DCI FINALS .... of just The Cadet (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen, etc) shows.

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This one who lives here (not me) has been pretty vocal about his dislike of singing in shows but he really did like Bluecoats singer last year.  And he liked the young lady in Boston in 2017.   

I agree with Jim on all counts. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This one who lives here (not me) has been pretty vocal about his dislike of singing in shows but he really did like Bluecoats singer last year.  And he liked the young lady in Boston in 2017.   

I actually liked both. In the case of Boston it really added to the story line of the program and in Coats case she was superb and it gave the program the jazz club type feeling it would have lacked otherwise

I do agree (strongly) with the overall premise that it's 95% bad and frankly, unnecessary 

Drum corps as an instrumental idiom works just fine!

• Like 3

I went through the list and simply chose what I enjoyed, in many cases live. I've found a real hit or miss with me in terms of what the Cadets have done. There are a couple of late 90;s shows I'm not as familiar with which has left them out of more serious consideration for me. At first, I wondered if I'd even have 12, but as I put paper to pencil, I think it filled out perfectly for me.

1977: The Guard on Horns at the end... exciting... a fun show, and I think perhaps the best example of the early DCI Cadets.

1980: A show I just simply enjoyed watching from the stands, the seeds were beginning to be planted.

1982: Watched this at Finals, and saw the future.

1984: Iconic.

1987: Also, Iconic.

1989: Entertaining, so enjoyable to listen to and watch.

1992: Again, Iconic.

1993: Maybe I'm one of the few people who thought this should have won by more than it did, but that's me. I'm not one that buys into solely burning down the house in the closer making the champ.. and I felt this show was tight and aggressive from start to finish.

2000: A fun, enjoyable, very breezy program with brilliant drill.

2003: Simply enjoyable and accessible, and a fascinating look at how the Cadets viewed each of these classic selections.

2011: What the Cadets were capable of in this era when they had the program lined up right. Wonderful program

2018: The Future- The effort and sincerity I think have earned all of our respect. They're in my top 12 with no doubt.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Ugh! The NPR show. I thought Hopkins was going to keep doing it as a pledge drive. “Pledge now, or we will keep doing shows like this!”

I'm wondering if that's the show I started begging my friend next to me at the simulcast to just shoot me. Aunt Mabel  sitting on the other side next to me was not happy.

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2019 at 9:21 PM, Terri Schehr said:

The ending was good though after she stopped yapping.

As I said earlier, blazing the last 90 seconds doesn't make a whole program top end. If that show was like that for the whole show, Gold Help everyone else. But the words got in the way...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I called it the Sally Jesse Raphael show. 

I called it the Ira Glass show.

• Haha 1

On 3/8/2019 at 2:57 PM, Jurassic Lancer said:

Ugh! The NPR show. I thought Hopkins was going to keep doing it as a pledge drive. “Pledge now, or we will keep doing shows like this!”

Nah gh couldn’t speak and use so few words....

Must have been the year I was sick and missed seeing them at Gettysburg. My you gotta be kidding show was a bit earlier with “where are we?”. Saw it preseason and just thought some idiot is going to yell an answer from the stands. 

• Haha 1