DCI FINALS .... of just The Cadet (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen, etc) shows.

This is my personal favorites list, not necessarily how I think they would rank if competing against each other.

HM: 2012: I understand why some people don’t like this show, but I really think they did the best they could for what the show was. 

12. 2001: I feel like this show is underrated. A great brass line playing some classics. Just a really fun show all around.

11. 1985: This show was ahead of its time, IMO. Such a difficult music book requiring intense focus from the membership.

10. 2000: My rookie year. A powerhouse show. Undefeated season. A less than stellar finals run through 😕

9. 2015: Wow, what a brass line and book! Say what you will about the concept, but this was a monster corps! Those mellos / French horns...ok, I may be a little biased since I was their tech that summer...

8. 2013: One of my favorite musical books ever written. The drill was ok - some wow moments, but nothing like the next show on my list...

7. 2011: Absolutely brilliant design! I would have placed this one higher if the performance level matched the design level (nothing against the corps of 2011 - just took a LONG time that summer to get clean enough to win)

6. 1987: A classic - just such a beautifully designed show. “Class” and “poise” are words that come to mind when I watch this show.

5. 1997: Great music, strong performance in all sections, and some of the best whiplash drill EVER at the end of the opener!

4. 2007: This was such a fun show to rehearse and perform, narration aside. The hornline was our for blood every single day. I think we had something to prove after 06.

3. 2005: There simply wasn’t a weakness in this corps. We won every caption and sub caption on finals night (no corps has ever replicated this), and took home Every. Single. Caption. Award. Also, the baritone solo in ‘Liquid’ wasn’t too shabby 😁

2. 1984: Of the 3-peat, this one takes the cake for me. I love WSS, and the arrangements this year were fantastic!

1. 1993: This show had it all - an amazing musical package (with one of the best ballads!) and ridiculous whiplash drill throughout. I’m still in awe of this corps.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BigW said:

Watched you at Finals... the show dropped jaws. Like I said... we knew we were seeing the future right there, right now. Maybe it wasn't gonna win, but one knew it was the way to go. For that era, totally mind blowing, especially from the visual standpoint.

82 was special and new.  I know I’ve said it before but I can’t explain how amazed I was with that show and the corps after watching them in Madison.  I never thought much about Garfield before ‘82 at all. Some good brasslines but that was it. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

82 was special and new.  I know I’ve said it before but I can’t explain how amazed I was with that show and the corps after watching them in Madison.  I never thought much about Garfield before ‘82 at all. Some good brasslines but that was it. 

In that 70's era regardless of placements, they were always enjoyed and appreciated at East. 1980,one began to see things start to come around, but the huge explosion was in 1982.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigW said:

In that 70's era regardless of placements, they were always enjoyed and appreciated at East. 1980,one began to see things start to come around, but the huge explosion was in 1982.

Watched Cadets warming up before the Dream contest that year....'82... at Rutgers Stadium... first time I had seen them that summer.

They definitely were not "your father's Cadets" anymore.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Finally getting around to playing here.  LOL.

Not a "finalist" list per se, just some of my favorites:

1990 (IMO an underrated show, even though it won a championship)
1980 (the year that saved the corps)
And pre-DCI: 1971

• Like 2

I have to say the ones which stand out in my mind are '83, '84, '87, '89 and '90. These were shows which were formative to me in the early 80's and then favorites while I was starting my drum corps "career." I love the Cadets. They're an outstanding organization and though currently continuing to try to adapt to changes in DCI and in their own organization, I personally appreciate every MM's life that they touched in a positive way whether with their corps, or as an MM of another corps who looked to their dedication of excellence as an example. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, doogiempt said:

This is my personal favorites list, not necessarily how I think they would rank if competing against each other.

HM: 2012: I understand why some people don’t like this show, but I really think they did the best they could for what the show was. 

12. 2001: I feel like this show is underrated. A great brass line playing some classics. Just a really fun show all around.

11. 1985: This show was ahead of its time, IMO. Such a difficult music book requiring intense focus from the membership.

10. 2000: My rookie year. A powerhouse show. Undefeated season. A less than stellar finals run through 😕

9. 2015: Wow, what a brass line and book! Say what you will about the concept, but this was a monster corps! Those mellos / French horns...ok, I may be a little biased since I was their tech that summer...

8. 2013: One of my favorite musical books ever written. The drill was ok - some wow moments, but nothing like the next show on my list...

7. 2011: Absolutely brilliant design! I would have placed this one higher if the performance level matched the design level (nothing against the corps of 2011 - just took a LONG time that summer to get clean enough to win)

6. 1987: A classic - just such a beautifully designed show. “Class” and “poise” are words that come to mind when I watch this show.

5. 1997: Great music, strong performance in all sections, and some of the best whiplash drill EVER at the end of the opener!

4. 2007: This was such a fun show to rehearse and perform, narration aside. The hornline was our for blood every single day. I think we had something to prove after 06.

3. 2005: There simply wasn’t a weakness in this corps. We won every caption and sub caption on finals night (no corps has ever replicated this), and took home Every. Single. Caption. Award. Also, the baritone solo in ‘Liquid’ wasn’t too shabby 😁

2. 1984: Of the 3-peat, this one takes the cake for me. I love WSS, and the arrangements this year were fantastic!

1. 1993: This show had it all - an amazing musical package (with one of the best ballads!) and ridiculous whiplash drill throughout. I’m still in awe of this corps.

3/19 HAPPY BIRTHDAY Michael Patrick Terry (33).  Blessings and a great year for my friend. May you continue to stand tall.😎

Here's mine:

1. 1995-saw the show countless times live, and just think it was a fun show

2. 1993-first time I saw Cadets live, perfect design

3. 1991-interesting selections of music, that just worked

4. 2011-those members sold that theme

5. 1987-classy

6. 2012-fun

7. 1990-I love Bernstein

8. 1984-Set new standards

9. 1994-nice modern take, plus the drumsets

10. 1983-you knew something was coming

11. 1989-underated