njthundrrd

DCI FINALS .... of just The Cadet (Holy Name, Garfield, Bergen, etc) shows.

Recommended Posts

I ranked every Cadets finalist show from 1975 (their first DCI finals) up to last season on my Facebook page.  I’m sure some of you would either laugh ot argue with me.  I’ve seen every Cadets corps live, at least once, every year from 1972 on.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

House of Cards, The Cosby Show, The Catholic Church,  any Movie the Weinstine Company has ever made, Disney, The Republicans Party, The Democratic Party, Boxing, Baseball, Football, MMA, Women's Gymnastics, Magic, Food Shows, FOOD, Las Vegas, The Military, The Jackson 5, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Page, Ted Nugent, Rock and Roll, Hip and Hop, RNB,  DRUM CORPS!  

I'm not going to let this thread get High Jacked.

And seperating the bad out of any you mentioned is dishonest. I am not saying throw out all the good which occured. I am however addressing those who are attempting to ignore, disregard and dismiss Hopkins role in all of those great and wonderfol Cadet moments. All of those you mentioned are tainted, and so are the Cadet shows under the leadership of Hopkins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10. 1998 Stonehenge- I never really liked this show for some strange reason. I remember during the 1998 season saying The Cadets will probably win because of content and execution but I didn't like it then. Because of this thread, I watched it again and again. ( about 5 times straight) Wow! what a GREAT show! It took 20 years but, I came around.

11. 2006 Volume 2: Through the Looking Glass- I picked this show because of what it brought to drum corps. I remember the critics/trolls on Drum Corps Planet and REC.ARTS. mercilessly ripping this show. I remember saying " In a few years your corps will be doing the same thing" It took more than a few years but as you look back on that show you see the impact they made on today's drum corps.  As I look back this was probably one of the Cadets most talented corps but that show was a bear to handle. I was in charge of props that year. whoa!

12.  1982  * Rocky Point Holiday * Cuban Overture  * Concerto in F-   For personal reasons, I add this show. I have a few stories: For as long as I can remember, before every play I performed in elementary school, every boxing and jujitsu match, every marching band and drum corps, I would take a deep breath, hold it as long as I could, Release, Perform. Prelims morning in Montreal was exceptionally hot. The Cadets back then wore wool uniforms with lined insulated jackets. Anyway, I took a deep breath, held it, and blacked out. I woke up in Concerto in F with my horn down everybody else's horn was up. I marched most of the show on muscle memory. 

                  The Next night I remember it being exceptional cold, I remember the snow flurries during "warm-ups" I remember the corps being ON. I remember me being ON. I could hear everything around me, and see the spacing between me and the next person in every set. I was so in tune with the show and everything around me. I remember during the final company front in Gershwins Concerto in F being overcome with emotion and tears streaming down my face and the EMT people asking if I was OK as the corps marched off the field. WOW!

Honorable Mentions:  

2012 12.25- I hate Christmas, I hate Christmas music. I love this show. Note: The slow march segment in the opener, The brass is marching slowly with some fancy lower body movement on the left side of the field. On the right side, the percussion is playing and marching crazy drill like it's 1993. What an awesome effect! And that kaleidoscopic Sactig Ending. I hate Christmas music. I love this show!

2018 Boston Crusaders- Just Kidding. I love that show. Great Organization, awesome people.

2017 The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven-  I absolutely love what The Cadets Tried to do with this show. The costuming and props were on point. I loved the arrangements. I only wish there was a little Angels and Demons action in the Fallen section. I guess they never got my email. 

2018 The Unity Project- First. When I saw the uniforms on Facebook I made fun of the design. ( I was wrong, It worked on the field and lot's of people love it.)  When I first saw the corps in Akron, Ohio, I thought "Oh My God The Cadets are Awful This Year" I have never said that ever since I first saw them one June day in New Jersey back in 75. My friend Irving ( Fan of the Arts) Told me how the corps was trying to find the right balance of hard work and rest ( something rare in Cadetland) and by Atlanta, I could see the clarity in the show. The hard work was paying off. I remember during finals as the mellophones did that familiar run and the Z-Pull started to unravel, my heart filled as the young man in the traditional Cadet uniform appeared, I stood there clapping with tears in my eyes and what had been oblivious to me all season I heard loud and clear. " Ladies and Gentlemen, Under the direction of Scott Litzenburg, The Cadets!" A new era has Begun.

Oh, and 1985 because it was F****** Awesome!

 

Edited by boxingfred
added content
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I ranked every Cadets finalist show from 1975 (their first DCI finals) up to last season on my Facebook page.  I’m sure some of you would either laugh ot argue with me.  I’ve seen every Cadets corps live, at least once, every year from 1972 on.

I got to check that out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stu said:

And seperating the bad out of any you mentioned is dishonest. I am not saying throw out all the good which occured. I am however addressing those who are attempting to ignore, disregard and dismiss Hopkins role in all of those great and wonderfol Cadet moments. All of those you mentioned are tainted, and so are the Cadet shows under the leadership of Hopkins.

Just because we are sticking to TOPIC doesn't make us "dishonest". Your point was noted and even discussed in several TOPICS a few months back.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Stu said:

While Hopkins was not the Cadets by himself, to seperate him out because of feeling queasy about his current situation is just as much of an error. Honesty demands that the corps must be viewed holistically; including Hopkins' role as leader and director during those years.

Okay, how do yah feel about the Kenton band? Willing to throw it under the bus as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stu, What's your end game here? To high jack an otherwise pleasant topic?  Look, I've marched with and worked with most of the women who have been affected by the situation. It's now in the hands of the courts. For you to come here and troll this thread is stupid. You offered no new information, no insight, just your narrow opinion on how we should feel about past Cadet corps.  I'm asking the moderators to consider taking Stu's comments from this thread and placing them on the threads that deal with his concerns.

I've worn the Maroon and Gold, I've worked for, volunteered and given thousands of hours of blood, sweat, and tears to the Cadets. I have very strong feelings about the events that lead up to the change of directors. There are many Topics and post about that. This thread is not the place. 

Edited by boxingfred
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Post of the decade!!  Thank you boxingfred, now onto more things Cadets!

Edited by fifer
Quote did not get included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 10:58 AM, boxingfred said:

12.  1982  * Rocky Point Holiday * Cuban Overture  * Concerto in F-   For personal reasons, I add this show. I have a few stories: For as long as I can remember, before every play I performed in elementary school, every boxing and jujitsu match, every marching band and drum corps, I would take a deep breath, hold it as long as I could, Release, Perform. Prelims morning in Montreal was exceptionally hot. The Cadets back then wore wool uniforms with lined insulated jackets. Anyway, I took a deep breath, held it, and blacked out. I woke up in Concerto in F with my horn down everybody else's horn was up. I marched most of the show on muscle memory. 

                  The Next night I remember it being exceptional cold, I remember the snow flurries during "warm-ups" I remember the corps being ON. I remember me being ON. I could hear everything around me, and see the spacing between me and the next person in every set. I was so in tune with the show and everything around me. I remember during the final company front in Gershwins Concerto in F being overcome with emotion and tears streaming down my face and the EMT people asking if I was OK as the corps marched off the field. WOW!

Thanks for this story. 1982 Cadets is one of my favorites, just for the music.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 10:58 AM, boxingfred said:

10. 1998 Stonehenge- I never really liked this show for some strange reason. I remember during the 1998 season saying The Cadets will probably win because of content and execution but I didn't like it then. Because of this thread, I watched it again and again. ( about 5 times straight) Wow! what a GREAT show! It took 20 years but, I came around.

11. 2006 Volume 2: Through the Looking Glass- I picked this show because of what it brought to drum corps. I remember the critics/trolls on Drum Corps Planet and REC.ARTS. mercilessly ripping this show. I remember saying " In a few years your corps will be doing the same thing" It took more than a few years but as you look back on that show you see the impact they made on today's drum corps.  As I look back this was probably one of the Cadets most talented corps but that show was a bear to handle. I was in charge of props that year. whoa!

12.  1982  * Rocky Point Holiday * Cuban Overture  * Concerto in F-   For personal reasons, I add this show. I have a few stories: For as long as I can remember, before every play I performed in elementary school, every boxing and jujitsu match, every marching band and drum corps, I would take a deep breath, hold it as long as I could, Release, Perform. Prelims morning in Montreal was exceptionally hot. The Cadets back then wore wool uniforms with lined insulated jackets. Anyway, I took a deep breath, held it, and blacked out. I woke up in Concerto in F with my horn down everybody else's horn was up. I marched most of the show on muscle memory. 

                  The Next night I remember it being exceptional cold, I remember the snow flurries during "warm-ups" I remember the corps being ON. I remember me being ON. I could hear everything around me, and see the spacing between me and the next person in every set. I was so in tune with the show and everything around me. I remember during the final company front in Gershwins Concerto in F being overcome with emotion and tears streaming down my face and the EMT people asking if I was OK as the corps marched off the field. WOW!

Honorable Mention  2012 12.25- I hate Christmas, I hate Christmas music. I love this show.  2018 Boston Crusaders- Just Kidding. I love that show. Great Organization, awesome people.

 

Watched you at Finals... the show dropped jaws. Like I said... we knew we were seeing the future right there, right now. Maybe it wasn't gonna win, but one knew it was the way to go. For that era, totally mind blowing, especially from the visual standpoint.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.