Business Privilege Taxes?

25 minutes ago, E3D said:

The two of you are bent because someone mentioned the cadets? :peek::lol:

no because this could affect everyone

31 minutes ago, skevinp said:

You know the OP is not a troll.  He is a responsible and serious poster and there is nothing to suggest his motivation was anything other than legitimate concern.  

As for it being about the Cadets, it is about something happening in Allentown.  If it was happening in Fort Mill, we would talking about whether it affects Crown.

if you have reason to understand this is not a legitimate concern, please enlighten us so we won't worry and won't have a reason to discuss it anymore.

This.

If anyone knows what is going on in the Allentown/Leigh Valley area... it's Fred. Hands down. The person most responsible for DCI East being in Allentown.

• Like 1

Yes. I have a 52 year interest in all things Allentown, Allentown School District, and drum corps. Besides, at my age (68) and contentment , I state whatever I like without apologies, nor fear of being called anything.  What you see is what you get!

Anyway, I find the Parkettes and big league drum corps similar in many ways. I was hopeful someone familiar with another drum corps might provide information how their operation is treated by their host state/community in terms of taxation. In the Northeast, non-profits of all stripes are seen as new tax revenue sources. Unfortunate.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2019 at 7:56 AM, dans said:

Bingo! Follow the money.

Indeed. With " money" comes Power and Influence,. On the one hand you have local officials attempting to shake down in extra taxes comparatively small Non Profits in their midst ( some even Youth Groups ), while simultaneously rolling out the red carpet for outside multi national large Corporations to come and set up shop in their City and in return give them local tax breaks and even local tax subsidies to the Multi Nationals to do so. Heck, if you're a Pro Sports franchise, the local politicos might even build you a spanking brand new stadium from their local tax revenues..  haha!. So as you correctly assessed... " follow the money".

Edited by BRASSO

35 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Yes. I have a 52 year interest in all things Allentown, Allentown School District, and drum corps. Besides, at my age (68) and contentment , I state whatever I like without apologies, nor fear of being called anything.  What you see is what you get!

Anyway, I find the Parkettes and big league drum corps similar in many ways. I was hopeful someone familiar with another drum corps might provide information how their operation is treated by their host state/community in terms of taxation. In the Northeast, non-profits of all stripes are seen as new tax revenue sources. Unfortunate.

These #### 60 somethings.... (looking in mirror)... oh wait....😨  And if it isn’t a tax it’s a fee of something or another. Antique car show at Hershey got hit but forget details. 

As non profits do corps get any kind of break on property taxes or fees for the physical property they own (buildings, fields, whatever). Tight as some budgets are changes to tax laws could hit like when gas tripled bitd. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But was it always?  The article cites "items sold by the Parkettes and revenue from an auction as well as from candy, yearbook, candle and flower sales". 

It is not completely clear, but the inference is that the fundraisers, not member dues or performance awards, are what is being taxed.  Evidently, dues/tuition are not "profit-generating".  Prize money is somehow exempt as well.

Now, exactly how vulnerable is YEA! to this "business privilege tax" concept?  Consider that much of what might be deemed "profit-generating" takes place outside of Allentown.  Cadets occasionally host a show in Allentown, but the majority of their drum corps events are staged in other towns.  Nearly all USBands events are out of town.  All but one or two appearance fees for Cadets each year are earned in other towns.  Some portion of merchandise sales would be at issue, but sales generated out-of-town from the traveling souvenir booth might not be.  Thoughts, anyone?

Really curious as to who the third biggest pocketed Allentown non-profit is...

In looking at the 3 years posted in Guidestar, it appears as though the Parkettes had a fundraising auction and sale that consistently generated between $145m & $185m in proceeds.  If the tax only applies to this type of "Non-program service revenue" then, by comparison, Cadets theoretically would be charged the tax on ANY revenue generated other than member dues and performance income.  That seemingly would include all of USBands revenue and all fundraising efforts.

And I don't think that where the revenue was generated is meaningful for these purposes.  The profits from a USBands competition in every locale will flow through the Allentown offices.

Edited by garfield

50 minutes ago, garfield said:

In looking at the 3 years posted in Guidestar, it appears as though the Parkettes had a fundraising auction and sale that consistently generated between $145m & $185m in proceeds.  If the tax only applies to this type of "Non-program service revenue" then, by comparison, Cadets theoretically would be charged the tax on ANY revenue generated other than member dues and performance income.  That seemingly would include all of USBands revenue and all fundraising efforts.

And I don't think that where the revenue was generated is meaningful for these purposes.  The profits from a USBands competition in every locale will flow through the Allentown offices.

right because the corporate office is in Allentown, thats what will count

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Rut-roh.

So what is the going rate for office space in a neighboring town that does not have an established "business privilege tax"?