Spots/Holes 2019

Now is the time, which corps are still trying to fill positions for this upcoming summer.

1 hour ago, DiveBomber said:

Now is the time, which corps are still trying to fill positions for this upcoming summer.

All of them, I'd imagine. For example, most of the Corps still have Guard auditions to take place ( WGI season still in progress ). Many Corps are still involved in Brass/ Percussion call backs and marcher decisions still to be made in these sections as well. Even when Move In Camps begin in May, some marchers that have earned positions in line change their mind.. for a myriad of reasons, ..and most Corps ( at all levels ) need to fill in line positions on the fly sometimes even then. That said, many of the Open Class and Non Top 12 World Class Division Corps annually tend to have quite a few more Brass and Percussion section spots open at this juncture of the preseason than the Top 12 Corps generally do... especially in the Brass Section most years. I'd imagine that would tend to be the case this preseason in early March too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LoveKathyG said:

Back in the day, lower placing corps, even some of the lower placing World Class corps, would fill holes still vacant in mid-summer by poaching members of smaller corps who were only touring regionally.  Does this still happen?  

Yes, when I marched Heat Wave in ‘15 and ‘16 there were a few members who filled holes at some WC corps after our tour had ended, namely at Colts and Pacific Crest from my memory.

5 hours ago, Rudy18 said:

Yes, when I marched Heat Wave in ‘15 and ‘16 there were a few members who filled holes at some WC corps after our tour had ended, namely at Colts and Pacific Crest from my memory.

I'm curious how this works with contracts. When I marched in the late 90's, I don't recall having contracts like they use in DCI now. So, I guess my question is, since non-national touring corps members are no longer under contract, thus making it possible to have members fill holes?

26 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

So, I guess my question is, since non-national touring corps members are no longer under contract, thus making it possible to have members fill holes?

Yes, since there are no DCI By Laws codified transfer rules in DCI, it is permissible for a marcher to be accepted into another DCI Corps at any time in the season... up to, and including Championships Finals Week. Even from another Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

30 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

I'm curious how this works with contracts. When I marched in the late 90's, I don't recall having contracts like they use in DCI now. So, I guess my question is, since non-national touring corps members are no longer under contract, thus making it possible to have members fill holes?

Would it matter?  As far as I know, directors of corps whose seasons are finished do not object to their kids joining other corps to fill open spots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, since there are no DCI By Laws codified transfer rules in DCI, it is permissible for a marcher to be accepted into another DCI Corps at any time in the season... up to, and including Championships Finals Week. Even from another Drum Corps.

Also including another certain circuits Finals Weekend over Labor Day lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Would it matter?  As far as I know, directors of corps whose seasons are finished do not object to their kids joining other corps to fill open spots.

I guess it matters that if a person is marching Colts for example, and a hole opens up in early July in SCV, the person can then just jump ship. Seems as though something like that shouldn't be allowed.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:41 AM, tesmusic said:

As long as all of your dues are paid and your season is over, you can join any corps that still needs members and still has a tour ongoing. In HW our last show was the Atlanta regional, so the members that went to other corps after were able to march the last two weeks of world class tour for no extra money.

Edited by Rudy18
  • Like 1