The Marching Arts

27 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Synopsis:

He's a knucklehead. :tongue:

was that a Planar Analysis?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Since the closing list of now defunct D&BC list the Boston Crusaders, may we have a moment of silence please.

I also got a chuckle when he's lamenting the lack of military bearing, and military style uniforms, and right in back on his own chosen video clip, he shows a DM Finale, and the 2 Bridgemen DM's in their floppy hats prominently displayed... lol.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Bridgemen from the 70's, 80's, but they were a FAR departure from the St. Andrews Bridgemen Drum & Bugle Corps of the 60's that the Bridgemen were once. Heck., Bobby Hoffman went out of his way in the mid 70's to design a uniform that was NOT a military style uniform, and nobody can say with a straight face that the 1970's Bridgemen famous " shuffle " was a military march maneuver... haha!..... AND the US Marine Drum & Bugle Corps has... OMG.... Women in their ranks now.  Most of The " Drum & Bugle Corps Purists in the 40's-60's were dead set that Women do not belong in the Military Drum & Bugle Corps. Heck, most of them, did not believe Women should be allowed  ANYWHERE in the US Military back then either.

Maybe the guy that put this bitter video together liked the Holy Name Cadets Corps when they were All Male too... who knows. They're were LOTS of these so called insufferable " purists " back then too that did not like AT ALL, when the Cadets changed and went Co-ed.

Edited by BRASSO

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

was that a Planar Analysis?

More like plantar fasciitis!!! :laughing:

• Haha 1

One of the top performing and competing Drum Corps.. traveling to competitions in both Canada and the US in the 1950's... was this Corps. Notice the attire are not really" costumes", but are military style " uniforms "that the  guy believes all the Corps had before DCI came in in the 70's and subsequently in later years ruined what he liked about Drum Corps for himself somehow.

jolly_jesters_1957.jpg

Edited by BRASSO

3 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

One of the top performing and competing Drum Corps.. traveling to competitions in both Canada and the US in the 1950's... was this Corps. Notice the attire are not really" costumes", but are military style " uniforms "that the  guy believes all the Corps had before DCI came in and ruined it all for him somehow.

jolly_jesters_1957.jpg

Lol and iirc this corps had roots as a military corps....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I also got a chuckle when he's lamenting the lack of military bearing, and military style uniforms, and right in back on his own chosen video clip, he shows a DM Finale, and the 2 Bridgemen DM's in their floppy hats prominently displayed... lol.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the Bridgemen from the 70's, 80's, but they were a FAR departure from the St. Andrews Bridgemen Drum & Bugle Corps of the 60's that the Bridgemen were once. Heck., Bobby Hoffman went out of his way in the mid 70's to design a uniform that was NOT a military style uniform, and nobody can say with a straight face that the 1970's Bridgemen famous " shuffle " was a military march maneuver... haha!..... AND the US Marine Drum & Bugle Corps has... OMG.... Women in their ranks now.  Most of The " Drum & Bugle Corps Purists in the 40's-60's were dead set that Women do not belong in the Military Drum & Bugle Corps. Heck, most of them, did not believe Women should be allowed  ANYWHERE in the US Military back then either.

Maybe the guy that put this bitter video together liked the Holy Name Cadets Corps when they were All Male too... who knows. They're were LOTS of these so called insufferable " purists " back then too that did not like AT ALL, when the Cadets changed and went Co-ed.

Rice marched late 70's/early 80's BD...not exactly military style

• Thanks 1

I'm only 15 minutes in...Man, I over-intellectualize drum corps as much as anyone (usually assisted by hella dank ganja). Indeed, it is literally my job to overthink music. I've even thought of creating a "Marching Bands and Society" course. But...this is a bit much even for me. As a friend would say, "Dude...there are some good ideas, but mostly...########." Now, about that ganja...

Edited by FTNK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1