The Marching Arts

35 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm Stu, this is my brother Stu, and my other brother Stu.

Lol “Larry” moved to my home town a few years ago. Could probably walk right past him and not realize it unless he speaks with that TN drawl accent. 

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

Champs did tend to have a larger audience, given the larger number of corps, and the desire to make it a nice event. 

Championships were fun- I remember the Raiders coming out just about brand new for it circa 1995 and doing a great job.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I subscribed to " Drum Corps News " in the 60's and recall such resistance, and the Letter's to the Editor and such,  re. the addition of the Contra to the brass lines at the time. The " purists " at the time had pretty much the same rationale for their objections to it ie,  " it was a Marching Band instrument ", and its use would no longer constitute the unit being able to future call itself a " Drum & Bugle Corps " any more in their view. By the way, one of the first east coast Corps I recall being pictured in Drum Corps News with the " new instrument " at the time were 2 marchers in the Garfield Cadets posing with the Corps new instrument purchased and depicted being carried up and over their shoulder. MikeD. ( it was in 1960- 1962 ish in DCN). I believe the 1st  Drum Corps to utilize the Contra Bass ( today's Tuba ) was a Canadian Drum Corps, I believe as the 1st Mfg, of the Contra was a Canadian Co. called " Royce- Whalley" ? or some such name ( I  forget the inventor Co's correct name at the moment )..

I think that the name is Whaley-Royce.  Whaley Royce also manufactured a custom designed C-bass, actually ordered  and used by Les Diplomates in 1962 through "68.  I don't think that any other corps used it.   It was not shoulder carried as the Contra and was, of course, illegal since it wasn't pitched in G.  It did allow us (Dips) to play some notes others couldn't.  At no point did we think that we were going "band".

Also, I'm not very motivated to watch this thing.  But based on commentary here, I'm wondering what the time code is where they reveal that the real Drum Corps designers of yore were actually taken on a plane to a secret government hangar and never seen again as they were replaced by DCI's "corporate executives."  

Also where's the part that argues that G-bulges couldn't possibly be melted by jet fuel? 

Been blasted before for posting this, and will likely get it again, but by definition drum and bugle corps always have been and still are in general terms 'bands'. They do not have woodwinds, but thier instrumentation certainly does place them in the category of being brass bands. I have never understood the condescending arrogant repulsive attitude which exists, mainly with the older crowd, when pointing out this fact that they are indeed general category 'brass bands' sub-catagory bugle corps; and yes that it is a fact.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

I think that the name is Whaley-Royce.  Whaley Royce also manufactured a custom designed C-bass, actually ordered  and used by Les Diplomates in 1962 through "68.  I don't think that any other corps used it.   It was not shoulder carried as the Contra and was, of course, illegal since it wasn't pitched in G.  It did allow us (Dips) to play some notes others couldn't.  At no point did we think that we were going "band".

Yes... thats the Co. I was thinking of above.... " Whaley- Royce ".

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

Been blasted before for posting this, and will likely get it again, but by definition drum and bugle corps always have been and still are in general terms 'bands'. They do not have woodwinds, but thier instrumentation certainly does place them in the category of being brass bands. I have never understood the condescending arrogant repulsive attitude which exists, mainly with the older crowd, when pointing out this fact that they are indeed general category 'brass bands' sub-catagory bugle corps; and yes that it is a fact.

I've been saying that since the old RAMD days. Drum corps is and always has been a "band" in  general terms. 

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Championships were fun- I remember the Raiders coming out just about brand new for it circa 1995 and doing a great job.

In my GSC marching era the St Andrew's Bridgemen were champs in both 68 and 69. I think, but am not sure, that the Muchachos may have been GSC champs earlier in the 60's. Some later  champs that crossed into the 'A' class corps were the Saints and Polish Falcons. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

it's safer to say that here than on the DCP Facebook page. Plus over there, some refuse to acknowledge it stopped being a bugle when valves were added.

22 minutes ago, Stu said:

Attitudes, I cannot vouch for.  But I do know this much.

From the inception of organized drill competition among VFW and AL corps, there were parallel/separate divisions for "drum corps" and "marching band".  They were two different things 100 years ago, and they still are today.  Maybe they both evolved from some commonalities, and maybe they will converge to one common activity in the future... but so far, in the era of organized drill competition, for competitive purposes, they have generally been considered as two distinct genres.