The Marching Arts

At 1:41:50:  "Only eight years later, DCI's business-trained executives looked at the instrument, determined that bugles were trumpets, drum corps were bands..."

First, would someone please point to and identify a "DCI business-trained executive", please?

Second, the more I listen to this, the more I realize it's simply a video anthology of "Drum corps died on ______".

I appreciate the history, but I heartily disagree with the message that the activity has been ruined by the decisions the "DCI business-trained executives" made (even if I have a hard time identifying said trained executives).

(At 1:47:20, our own Stu's post in DCP is highlighted.  Way to go Stu!  Is that proof that you, Stu, are the "Stuart" referenced as author of this?)

"Budgets that would choke a horse".  Ha!

"Youngsters that stay in the activity only one or two years..."  Youngsters?  With the average age well over 18 in most WC corps?

Anyone know who this "Dave Peterson" is?

"...DCI's darling child, the Blue Devils..."  Boy, could the contempt be dripping any thicker?

At 2:08 Mr Rice says he called Dan Acheson "...in late 2003 to find out what happened...to the trend of writing original music to accompany marching."  The "ebulant CEO announced: We aren't counting drill moves any more."  Huh??

2:09: "...a competing musical circus of visual shouting matches."  Have to admit, that's pretty creative!

Edited by garfield

Got more staying power listening to it than me Garfield... oy.

When does he tell DCI to get off his lawn?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The whole thing comes off to me as a little bitter. Can anyone provide me a Reader's Digest version synopsis of the producer? 

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

At 1:41:50:  "Only eight years later, DCI's business-trained executives looked at the instrument, determined that bugles were trumpets, drum corps were bands..."

First, would someone please point to and identify a "DCI business-trained executive", please?

Second, the more I listen to this, the more I realize it's simply a video anthology of "Drum corps died on ______".

I appreciate the history, but I heartily disagree with the message that the activity has been ruined by the decisions the "DCI business-trained executives" made (even if I have a hard time identifying said trained executives).

(At 1:47:20, our own Stu's post in DCP is highlighted.  Way to go Stu!  Is that proof that you, Stu, are the "Stuart" referenced as author of this?)

"Youngsters that stay in the activity only one or two years..."  Youngsters?  With the average age well over 18 in most WC corps?

"...DCI's darling child, the Blue Devils..."  Boy, could the contempt be dripping any thicker?

At 2:08 Mr Rice says he called Dan Acheson "...in late 2003 to find out what happened...to the trend of writing original music to accompany marching."  The "ebulant CEO announced: We aren't counting drill moves any more."  Huh??

2:09: "...a competing musical circus of visual shouting matches."  Have to admit, that's pretty creative!

Our Stu is nowhere the bloviating mess the documentary author is.

(I'll just let that comment stand on it's own LOL)

52 minutes ago, garfield said:

oh and 2003 was when he claimed to Naldony he called Acheson and warned him about Hopkins with nothing more than rumor and innuendo

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

oh and 2003 was when he claimed to Naldony he called Acheson and warned him about Hopkins with nothing more than rumor and innuendo

Do you mean to say: "Recently, Rice claimed to Naldony that, back in 2003, he called Acheson..."?

Or do you mean to say that Rice knew Naldony back in 2003 and complained to her then?

Just clarifying...

I love the US Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, but the 2016 version here in this bitter's guy's clip are utilizing instrumentations that most purists before his time would not call " Drum & Bugle Corps "... at all. Maybe he wasn't around in the pre non contra bass years. But if he was was, surely he knows most " Drum & Bugle Corps " purists at the time did not consider the over the shoulder Contra Bass instrument a " Drum & Bugle Corps " instrument. It sure as heck was not utilized for outdoor " Bugle calls ",to rally the troops, nor for outdoors military marching parades, military ceremonies, nor at " Drum & Bugle Corps " competitions since the end of World War 1. . It was considered a " Marching Band " style instrument.  For decades too.. And when was it first introduced, approved, and utilized ?  The 1959- 1961 era.  This was well before DCI was formed a decade or so later. The guy here makes some historical accuracy points, but his bitterness in the direction the genre has taken comes through loud and clear, and as such, these types of " I don't like what I'm seeing and hearing " was just as evident by " purists " in 1956, 1966, 1976,  as it is when he put this video together just recently. Guess what though., in 30 years, another guy who likes what he is seeing and hearing now from these Corps,  probably won't like what will be out there in 2036 or 2046 either. These people who so dislike DCI Drum Corps of today should just go find some other hobby to enjoy for themselves, and not be so stuck in the past... and allow those who do like it, or march it, or aspire to march it, or volunteer for it, or in some fashion, support it, to enjoy themselves. Life is too short to remain so bitter as this guy clearly is, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

32 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The whole thing comes off to me as a little bitter. Can anyone provide me a Reader's Digest version synopsis of the producer? 

Synopsis:

He's a knucklehead. :tongue:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Synopsis:

He's a knucklehead. :tongue:

Ok, I Googled him. Very precise synopsis. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, garfield said:

Do you mean to say: "Recently, Rice claimed to Naldony that, back in 2003, he called Acheson..."?

Or do you mean to say that Rice knew Naldony back in 2003 and complained to her then?

Just clarifying...

he told Naldony after the story broke last spring about his call to Acheson

https://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/george-hopkins-cadets-dan-acheson-drum-corps-sexual-misconduct-20180413.html