DCI LEAVES (downtown) INDY!

On 3/9/2019 at 3:49 AM, LoveKathyG said:

I thought part of the allure of the multiyear deal with the stadium was that the city was providing DCI with HQ space at a great discount.  

prob marketing FLUFF

On 3/9/2019 at 3:49 AM, LoveKathyG said:

I thought part of the allure of the multiyear deal with the stadium was that the city was providing DCI with HQ space at a great discount.  

I do believe that was part of the agreement. Perhaps now that they are in their 2nd 10-year agreement that the cost for rent in downtown will no longer be so cheap. I have no problem with DCI looking for the best value for the day-to-day offices they need. If they insulate the building well enough then perhaps the airport noise will not be so bad. 

22 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I do believe that was part of the agreement. Perhaps now that they are in their 2nd 10-year agreement that the cost for rent in downtown will no longer be so cheap. I have no problem with DCI looking for the best value for the day-to-day offices they need. If they insulate the building well enough then perhaps the airport noise will not be so bad. 

I can think of two good points that would not be deal breakers, but are bonuses. One, I don’t know how many people work at DCI Headquarters, but my guess is that in Downtown Indy, that means paying for parking. I would see this as a free parking zone. If they did start having to pay for a lease, this looks less lavish than a downtown office suite and far less than what they have today. Appearances are important and often speak volumes. This looks more appropriate for a nonprofit. Regarding noise, I live near railroad crossings with about twenty inbound to Boston and another twenty outbound trains  out of Boston, and after a while you barely notice. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I can think of two good points that would not be deal breakers, but are bonuses. One, I don’t know how many people work at DCI Headquarters, but my guess is that in Downtown Indy, that means paying for parking. I would see this as a free parking zone. If they did start having to pay for a lease, this looks less lavish than a downtown office suite and far less than what they have today. Appearances are important and often speak volumes. This looks more appropriate for a nonprofit. Regarding noise, I live near railroad crossings with about twenty inbound to Boston and another twenty outbound trains  out of Boston, and after a while you barely notice. 

Excellent points.  No doubt it is a rent issue.  It’s possible with the ability to work remotely being a factor in offices that may be more admin in nature,  and not requiring manufacturing; smaller square footage is an option and a huge money saver. The company I work for was able to close an office in one building and consolidate the work to another.  They reduced a Manhattan office’s size by half.  This saved $1 million in rent per year.  An open office plan also allows for smaller sf’s. although that’s more annoying than an airport.

For airport noise; yeah insulation works and if the building isn’t near the end of a runway it wouldn’t be intolerable.  Overall it’s a smart move. 

Edited by LabMaster

11 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

This not a good look for DCI.

Because everyone in the activity is concerned with what building in or around Indianapolis the corporate office is in. 

(People realize that essentially NO ONE outside of the DCI staff actually ever goes to their offices, right?)

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

Because everyone in the activity is concerned with what building in or around Indianapolis the corporate office is in. 

(People realize that essentially NO ONE outside of the DCI staff actually ever goes to their offices, right?)

I think they have them open to the public finals week but I’ve never had any reason to go there in the ten years I’ve gone to finals in Indy. 

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think they have them open to the public finals week but I’ve never had any reason to go there in the ten years I’ve gone to finals in Indy. 

Any reason why general public would go there?. Have national Antique Automobile Club of America nearby in Hershey and am a long time member. Only reason I would go there is to check out the research library. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Any reason why general public would go there?. Have national Antique Automobile Club of America nearby in Hershey and am a long time member. Only reason I would go there is to check out the research library. 

No idea.  I used to go to the office in Lombard decades ago to buy the albums.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

The company where I work here in Ohio moved downtown several years ago from a more distant part of the city where we had owned a large lot. In order not to force our staff to take an effective pay cut after the move, we arranged to pay for their parking downtown in a nearby garage. But a possibly unintended effect of the tax law passed in late Dec. 2017, and effective Jan. 1, 2018 is non-profits (as our company is) to count the value of parking provided to employees as unrelated business income, taxable at 21%. So we decided just to give everyone a raise and let them make their own parking arrangements from now on. If DCI was providing parking to employees, they would have faced a similar decision. Although I doubt that would be the only reason for a move like this.