Old Man DCI was cool...

3 minutes ago, BigW said:

Those things at times... as well as just some of the other general goofiness. Can't run a DCI World Class corps stomach on McD's for instance.

True forgot about what we know today about nutrition and hydration. And sleep deprivation thinking of those Western swing trips where Friday night at the island, then grab a bite and meet the bus at 1am. And all the sleep you got was in a bus seat Friday and Saturday night.... 

54 minutes ago, MikeD said:

To be fair with the Arsenal issue, it was not merely offering discounts that created the ssue. It was disparaging remarks their director made about other DCI directors that got him in trouble.

Fair enough. Yes, his remarks about Pioneer and OC leadership is what got him in hot water. I am one who believes those comments didn’t rise to level of disparagement, but I also don’t think we need to relitigate the issue. At any rate, that is how the not supporting DCI thread started.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BigW said:

Those things at times... as well as just some of the other general goofiness. Can't run a DCI World Class corps stomach on McD's for instance.

crazy enough at the HS level, Rich played good cop

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevedci said:

Nostalgia is never as good as it used to be.

I remember old timers talking to me about the Beatles, Stones, Dylan when I was a kid listening to Pearl Jam and Live. I'd roll my eyes like an angsty tween, I'm sure. 

It took me until my early 20s to go back and really give myself a chance to get into music from the 60s, and boy, I didn't know what I was missing. 

Not sure what made me say all of that just now. 

17 minutes ago, stevedci said:

Nostalgia is never as good as it used to be.

Yogi Berra would be proud of you.  :tongue:

• Haha 1

an issue with drum corps is that for many people it was the best years of their lives, between puberty and car payments....and anything that infringes on those great memories.......

what some folks get and some don't, is that drum corps is about the people that do it.. and i would suspect that DCI knows that its business is driven by the now and the future, not the past -- i would guess that on a good night for most DCI's events, 65%-85% of the audience is new and has to be recreated each year.  (Chicago Symphony - 80% of last CSO season tix buyers buy tix in the current year.) Clearly the folks on DCP are not necessarily in DCI core constituency... given DCI's role in providing its members corps a platform for those corps to fulfill their mission, DCI has to generate significant interest in participation - in 2018 5800 young people were members of DCI corps - and 12,000  auditioning for 2019 corps seems realistic, even with some corps sitting this one out - by choice or by fiat. Getting the families and friends of those 6000 or so members engaged early and often is likely a key part of what DCI does. Engaging those folks affiliated with members and sustaining that engagement for as long as possible may well be a top marketing priority. And getting back to the look backwards... i suspect that you would find current DCI members consider anything pre-2010 as history and before 2000 as long ago in a galaxy far far away.

I believe there are many folks from the 70's and 80's who could make it in today's groups. While the talent overall has increased as has the difficulty in design... you play what you are given. I marched with some members that would certainly make DCI today. I know some of the 80s Cadets Front Ensemble members who came from Julliard, Eastman, Boston Conservatory and other schools who were all music majors would make today's ensembles. 

I also concur with the poster who said... and I paraphrase... today's groups are better because of the groups who came before. Each year builds upon the prior year. Drummers are still moving up and down the 50 if Zengali hadn't decided he needed them to be just another element in his visual design and changed the game. Same is true in brass, percussion, guard. One is not better than the other. One is better because of the other.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

crazy enough at the HS level, Rich played good cop

Worked near a father of one of the Mechanicsburg HS guard members. Heard a lot about Rich working with the guard and I’m thinking he relates to the group he is working with. Of course with Westshore it was scream at each other once in a while and have a drink together later. 

My memory is being taugh a new drill late in the season and everyone under the gun. Went over to ask a question and got chased back to my spot. Later Rich checks and “bleep bleep you guys look like you don’t know what you’re doing”. Me: “ bleep bleep that’s what I was trying to tell you 5 minutes ago”. Rich: “lot of bleeps... ok here’s what we’re doing”. Pressure relief valve for us...

Edited by JimF-LowBari