Old Man DCI was cool...

19 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would suggest that the best brass players of the 1970s are just as good as the best brass players today.  The difference is that the weakest players in today's lines are far better than the weakest players BITD.

This!! đź‘Ť

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would suggest that the best brass players of the 1970s are just as good as the best brass players today.  The difference is that the weakest players in today's lines are far better than the weakest players BITD.

Well said... I agree.

There were some monster players during that earlier era. Heck, on the DCA side, there were some professional players in the ranks of a few corps.

But the ensembles today, top to bottom, are better... IMO of course.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Jake W. said:

I listen to the 2018 cds all the way through the ranks and find very little to complain about

Speaking of the 2018 recordings, see here.

Along the lines of this thread topic...

I just got home from the viewing for Nick Rizzi, an alum of the Yankee Rebels senior/all-age corps here in Baltimore... he passed away at the age of 89. Nick's claim to fame was his role as "The Stripper" from the song of the same name, when the Rebels played it in the 1960s.  He'd do the bump-and-grind routine, hamming it up... and the crowd loved it!!!

Anyhow... on topic... Nick was one of the "old timers" who enjoyed watching the modern-era corps.  I'd see him every year at the DCI prelims show at a local movie theater, and always got a kick out of his take on the shows and how much he appreciated the current members.  

Last year, he told me "no offense to some of my fellow alums who think drum corps was better in the old days... but there's no way we could do what these kids are doing today!!!"

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I just got home from the viewing for Nick Rizzi, an alum of the Yankee Rebels senior/all-age corps here in Baltimore... he passed away at the age of 89. Nick's claim to fame was his role as "The Stripper" from the song of the same name, when the Rebels played it in the 1960s.  He'd do the bump-and-grind routine (obviously without taking his clothes off... LOL), hamming it up... and the crowd loved it!!!

Anyhow... on topic... Nick was one of the "old timers" who enjoyed watching the modern-era corps.  I'd see him every year at the DCI prelims show at a local movie theater, and always got a kick out of his take on the shows and how much he appreciated the current members.  

Last year, he told me "no offense to some of my fellow alums who think drum corps was better in the old days... but there's no way we could do what these kids are doing today!!!"

I’m with Nick.  May he Rest In Peace. 🙏

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i tend to believe the regionals and championships draw the true diehards more

Perhaps. Championships also tend to have more parents there too..  for some its their only show, and others are there to pick up their kids at the conclusion of the event..

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I just got home from the viewing for Nick Rizzi, an alum of the Yankee Rebels senior/all-age corps here in Baltimore... he passed away at the age of 89. Nick's claim to fame was his role as "The Stripper" from the song of the same name, when the Rebels played it in the 1960s.  He'd do the bump-and-grind routine (obviously without taking all his clothes off... LOL), hamming it up... and the crowd loved it!!!

oh no I missed seeing that he passed....a great guy!

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said... I agree.

There were some monster players during that earlier era. Heck, on the DCA side, there were some professional players in the ranks of a few corps.

But the ensembles today, top to bottom, are better... IMO of course.

Let's call the levels of ability Great, Good, Average, Okay, and Poor.

Back in the 1970's and 80's there were a plethora of corps. And many local corps back then had one or two Great players, but most of the lower corps also had Okay to Poor players. While the very top corps were magnates, the talent spread in them did go from the Great and Good to the Average; again mainly due to there being so many available corps.

Today, yes education has gotten better. However there are also way fewer corps available. So the Okay to Poor players no longer have an outlet. The current lower corps now have the luxury of securing a few Great with some Good and many Average. However, the very top corps now also have the luxury of securing many Great with a few Good. Thus the overall quality of the remaining corps are better today.

At least that is my theory.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevedci said:

hmmmm... i remember DCI doing some onsite demographic study 3 or 4 years ago, collecting data from event attendees or tablets....so i would guess that they probably have a some idea of the demographic profile of the audience at a significant number of events. the hypothsis that a significant portion of the audience at regionals and championship is family/friends might be semi-true, but it may well be that regional events each have a unique audience profile - some with more family, some with more alums, some with more students. I could imagine that the event location is a big factor in determining the audience demographic.

DCI might look at events/shows in a textured fashion, not simply Regional vs. local, but probably factoring in promoter profile, distance people travel to events, density of population, motivation to attend, etc. i would think those would be the sorts of things DCI or any good business would be tracking.

the issue that i suspect many die hard supporters are reluctant to consider is that maybe drum corps as a general rule, is not compelling and engaging enough to those not otherwise engaged to pay as much attention to as those inside the berm would like. hence, i suspect that even local shows are challenged to create new audience members, even with some customers have an non-drum corps allegiance to a companion event (festival? parade?)

And the issue that die-hard DCI insiders are reluctant to consider is that you can do all the surveys you want, and follow the trends... or you can develop your own vision, and set your own trends.

Drum corps used to be compelling and engaging enough for a lot more people.  Why not so much anymore?  Surveying the remaining fans, as you describe above, will not give you that answer.