Old Man DCI was cool...

9 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

And for the record , 74 and 75 Muchachos , 75 Scouts, and 76 Blue Devils were the first shows I played for Davis way back when he first picked up a horn. I truly appreciate them. But the negative Nancy routine about today’s DCI gets tiring to read. 

Well, for the record... I was told by a Guard member of the 75 Muchachos that I went to college with that they had fellow with a Master's in Trumpet performance. :innocent:

Things were beginning to change over in that era, very, very slowly.

There are still some DCA and DCI teams that will take just about anyone through the door with the right attitude and desire to learn and develop themselves as well. But at the top.... expectations are insanely high, and they can afford to be with 4-5 to 1 aspirants fighting over one spot in many cases.

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

The OP in the not supporting DCI thread was in reference to how DCI dropped the ball on member safety and how DCI overreacted to Arsenal’s then Corps Director’s social media post offering reduced tour fees to Pioneer and OC alums. The not supporting DCI thread opened the same day as DCI’s slap down of that director. It was not started to bemoan the direction of show design or the evolution of electronics or props, but it morphed into those realms.

To be fair with the Arsenal issue, it was not merely offering discounts that created the ssue. It was disparaging remarks their director made about other DCI directors that got him in trouble.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

The OP in the not supporting DCI thread was in reference to how DCI dropped the ball on member safety and how DCI overreacted to Arsenal’s then Corps Director’s social media post offering reduced tour fees to Pioneer and OC alums. The not supporting DCI thread opened the same day as DCI’s slap down of that director. It was not started to bemoan the direction of show design or the evolution of electronics or props, but it morphed into those realms.

Thought it was opened about the same time but wasn’t totally sure. Probably posts say that somewhere but wasn’t going to dig that deep.

Member safety was final straw from what I could tell

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Cool, and thank you. I would carefully say that most of us are by far, way more angry about those first two issues you mentioned. Personally, bad design and a show where my eyebrow raises is in the scheme of things nothing as compared to kids getting hurt or mistreated. I'd rather see those issues dealt with positively and well, and worry about the other things after that's tightened up where it should be.

9 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I’m probably at a flash point tonight as the Cavaliers lost a tuba player to a skydiving accident this morning. I came over to DCP to see if anyone had posted anything, and since they hadn’t, I did. 

And then I see that same thread title about “refusing” to support DCI. Just sick of seeing it. It’s a cancer on this board. 

Davis remembers you well. And he attributes a major part of his success to learning from those who came before him. His uncle marched Spirit 79-81. 

Same uncle laughed out loud when he saw modern day audition material .  “No way no how we were ever asked to do anything close to that”. 

I would say just about all of us who take our instruments seriously will credit great people from a ton of directions who influenced and encouraged us to push, think hard, and be creative. I would venture to say as an example... I firmly believe 10 years down the road, the 2018 Cadets will also be very well thought of for what they achieved and made happen regardless of any placement number at the end of the season for those reasons. Without certain defining moments affecting the future, the future won't happen in the way one hopes.

I started marching in 1971 and I enjoyed it then. Started teaching in 1982 and still enjoyed the activity. Chose to get out several years ago but still follow and thoroughly enjoy today's corps! I am 59 but NOT an old Geezer! Will be happy to prove it too! All those years of marching plus being in the Army helped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Thought it was opened about the same time but wasn’t totally sure. Probably posts say that somewhere but wasn’t going to dig that deep.

Member safety was final straw from what I could tell

I think so, Jim. What fascinates me is … can I explain this well....there are things that happened to us, stupid stuff that we laughed off and still do, but we both wouldn't want any current member in any corps to ever have to deal with in any way, shape, or form.

14 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think so, Jim. What fascinates me is … can I explain this well....there are things that happened to us, stupid stuff that we laughed off and still do, but we both wouldn't want any current member in any corps to ever have to deal with in any way, shape, or form.

Worse I ever got was 4 letter chew out for a few seconds (more than once shall I say lol). Then things went back to the usual abnormal. No hard feelings and could talk nice to each other later. Kicker is head chewer Rich T works/worked with HS guard so know he changed that act. And then we had Barney T who could be 4 lettered no matter what the occasion. Last time we saw each other was at Inner Harbor and I didn’t recognized him. Guy comes up swearing at me like a maniac for ignoring him. Then I realized it was Barney and both had a laugh. 

Worse I could think of was some sexual comments about some underage guard members made by an adult drum instructor. They never heard (I think) what he said but really cringe worhthy. Nothing physical or forcing people to march injured that I knew of. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and there's nowhere that says this place or any other has to be all sunshine and roses. if that easily offended, i suggest you seek out only the places that allow that and only that

Like a few of the cable news shows.  Wonder how long some lasted on the RAMD site.

12 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Worse I ever got was 4 letter chew out for a few seconds (more than once shall I say lol). Then things went back to the usual abnormal. No hard feelings and could talk nice to each other later. Kicker is head chewer Rich T works/worked with HS guard so know he changed that act. And then we had Barney T who could be 4 lettered no matter what the occasion. Last time we saw each other was at Inner Harbor and I didn’t recognized him. Guy comes up swearing at me like a maniac for ignoring him. Then I realized it was Barney and both had a laugh. 

Worse I could think of was some sexual comments about some underage guard members made by an adult drum instructor. They never heard (I think) what he said but really cringe worhthy. Nothing physical or forcing people to march injured that I knew of. 

Those things at times... as well as just some of the other general goofiness. Can't run a DCI World Class corps stomach on McD's for instance.

• Like 1