Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

2 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Does this loss of sponsors relate to  DCI"s decision on moving from downtown to the low rent district of Indy?

"sponsor"

I'm highly confident the two are not related. 

And now's a good time to review the LIST of sponsors that are still sponsors.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

...., maybe now is the time to be magnanimous and see if UA might now be interested in talking about the class of kids dc/mb brings to UA's business model. 

This is the inherent problem with DCI thinking as it comes to marketing. It is not about the kids nor DCI fitting in with the athletic image of UA. It is all about a sponsor marketing their product to people who will buy their product. For example, Chewy.com presents DCI would be great. Why? Because most out on the field and in the stands own pets and buy pet products. UA thinks marching band hurts their image, who cares, move on. I bet pet stores love marching band parents and kids who own pets!!!! Again, it is all about marketing the sponsor's product to potential buyers not the recipient's product to the sponsor.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

UA may have been, and may still be, idiots (IMO) but I'm pretty sure they'll listen to a savvy marketing plan if DCI has one.

Kevin Plank and his crew are no idiots, by any stretch of the imagination.

I would think they would listen, if, as you say, they're approached with a savvy marketing pitch.

Perhaps DCI is so far under the radar that Under Armour is, for all intents and purposes, unaware of the whole thing as a potential market. That would be up to DCI to try to make them aware.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is the inherent problem with DCI thinking as it comes to marketing. It is not about the kids nor DCI fitting in with the athletic image of UA. It is all about a sponsor marketing their product to people who will buy their product. For example, Chewy.com presents DCI would be great. Why? Because most out on the field and in the stands own pets and buy pet products. UA thinks marching band hurts their image, who cares, move on. I bet pet stores love marching band parents and kids who own pets!!!! Again, it is all about marketing the sponsor's product to potential buyers not the recipient's product to the sponsor.

One reason why, back in the day at least, I thought a beer/brewery sponsorship would have been a good deal for DCA. Of course, this was in the era when beer was sold at any number of shows in that circuit, and the audience had a lot of folks of legal drinking age.  

In this day and age... not so much. LOL.  

Liking the Chewy.com idea. I've used that site for my cat, and I follow drum corps. Occasionally at least. :tongue: A no-brainer.

On 3/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, Jeff Ream said:

yeah i'm not sure why the rationale....but i am sure there had to be a good business decision. Still with WGI

I believe they are letting agreements complete the term and then not renewing. My bet is WGI will be next when the contract expires.

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

One reason why, back in the day at least, I thought a beer/brewery sponsorship would have been a good deal for DCA. Of course, this was in the era when beer was sold at any number of shows in that circuit, and the audience had a lot of folks of legal drinking age.  

In this day and age... not so much. LOL.  

Liking the Chewy.com idea. I've used that site for my cat, and I follow drum corps. Occasionally at least. :tongue: A no-brainer.

Remembering the quart containers at Rochester sold at the stadium that looked like milk cartons . Yeah Genesee milk lol...:

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Remembering the quart containers at Rochester that looked like milk cartons sold at the stadium . Yeah Genesee milk lol...:

With Sunrisers in 1981-82, we were on first one year and second another year at the Rochester Regional show featuring the 10 finalists from the year before.

Lots of time to kill before retreat. Thus, a pretty fair amount of "milk" consumed. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 2

1975 Paul Geiger and I saw a guy in the stadium before Finals (Rochester) with a jacket that looked it was from our HS but darker green. Turned out it was our assistant band director (was with another corps) and he had spilled beer on himself so jacket was dark. Walked over and he was loaded. Told people around him how we with in his band but in Westshoremen (fake outrage, laughing whole time).

I thought it was funny but Paul wasn’t too thrilled. Then he reminded me that I had just graduated but Paul still had another year of band with the guy. 🤭

Edited by JimF-LowBari

53 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Kevin Plank and his crew are no idiots, by any stretch of the imagination.

I would think they would listen, if, as you say, they're approached with a savvy marketing pitch.

Perhaps DCI is so far under the radar that Under Armour is, for all intents and purposes, unaware of the whole thing as a potential market. That would be up to DCI to try to make them aware.

Or... Maybe they are sport athletic minded to the point where DCI is "One Time, at Band Camp." I say so what, it is their opinion, who cares, move on. Why spend time trying to convince them DCI is athletic when there is Mike Lindel to talk to showing him how many people he can reach by saying "MyPillow presents DCI Championships!"

• Like 1