Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Gar turns him in for wearing UA, and Whammo, banned from DCP for life!!!

no he was his usual pleasant self LOL

• Haha 2

Let's be realistic here:

good marketing aint cheap. it takes money. why? Money gets talent, talent that can build those relationships. We can put our respective heads together and come up with 100 products DCI could approach...but you need something with the skills to put together the pitch, and not approach it as to how they can help DCI, but how DCI can help them. Hell DCi at one time had McDonalds and Tombstone pizza as sponsors. Remember, DCi had to pay for their airtime on ESPN. They couldn't get advertisers to buy into it. Perception of "marching band" is part of the issue, the other is the issue on how to present DCI to the companies...and who to do it. 

I do mortgages for a living. We offer many of the same products other lenders do. Those of us that do it well, sell ourselves first, and how we can help the customer, then the product that best fits their needs. Could be a VA loan, or FHA...conventional ( 3% down!), USDA....But first you have to get the customer to trust YOU. It's rewarding to FINALLY see my company doing serious marketing...after all, if i watch an event on FLo, every 5th commercial is that #### Rocket Mortgage golf commercial. Pulled into a gas station in Jersey with the video screens at the pump....3rd commercial was Rocket Mortgage. Wonder why their share grew? They advertised, cause per the trade journals, their customer service rating isn't all that hot. But they were willing to pay a fortune to get out there everywhere....and got marketing people smart enough to put the packages together. They pioneered online mortgage applications. But the key behind all of that is money....and we know DCI isn't swimming in that

Edited by Jeff Ream

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Let's be realistic here:

good marketing aint cheap. it takes money. why? Money gets talent, talent that can build those relationships. We can put our respective heads together and come up with 100 products DCI could approach...but you need something with the skills to put together the pitch, and not approach it as to how they can help DCI, but how DCI can help them. Hell DCi at one time had McDonalds and Tombstone pizza as sponsors. Remember, DCi had to pay for their airtime on ESPN. They couldn't get advertisers to buy into it. Perception of "marching band" is part of the issue, the other is the issue on how to present DCI to the companies...and who to do it. 

It's rewarding to FINALLY see my company doing serious marketing...after all, if i watch an event on FLo, every 5th commercial is that #### Rocket Mortgage golf commercial. Pulled into a gas station in Jersey with the video screens at the pump....3rd commercial was Rocket Mortgage. Wonder who their share grew? They advertised, cause per the trade journals, their customer service rating isn't all that hot. But they were willing to pay a fortune to get out there everywhere.

Well said.  That first bolded part... that's what it is all about, to me at least.  Sometimes I think that we (the collective "we") involved with marching music feel that since it's such a cool thing, for us at least, that it would be a no-brainer for everyone to want to get in on it.  But that is far from the case.

Rocket Mortgage... great move by them to get Rickie Fowler on board.  He  has the "it" factor, IMO... likeable, believable, a natural on camera.  We went to a PGA tournament a couple of years ago... it seemed as if three-quarters of the fans were following his group.

Edited by Fran Haring

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

or DCI's marketing is...well...DCI.

but the VF/Z thing wasn't DCi's call

Absolutely.... and it was VFZ's prerogative to pull the plug.   Life goes on.

15 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Absolutely.... and it was VFZ's prerogative to pull the plug.   Life goes on.

Yep VF/Z called the drop, move on. Now go after HHGregg, First Internet Bancorp, Lids, any other of the thousands of potential sponsors in which the multitude of folks would buy their products or services instead of just a select few artists.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep VF/Z called the drop, move on. Now go after HHGregg, First Internet Bancorp, Lids, any other of the thousands of potential sponsors in which the multitude of folks would buy their products or services instead of just a select few artists.

Wow didn’t realize HHGregg was still around. Moved into the former Circuit City (remember them?) store and gone in 5 years. Interesting  how CC had stuff jammed in there and HH had way too much open space. Ollie’s Bargin Outlet now in building as bigger location than their original store. Flipping Ollie’s expanding like crazy on the east coast 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow didn’t realize HHGregg was still around.

I think it's online only now. Stores have closed.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow didn’t realize HHGregg was still around. Moved into the former Circuit City (remember them?) store and gone in 5 years. Interesting  how CC had stuff jammed in there and HH had way too much open space. Ollie’s Bargin Outlet now in building as bigger location than their original store. Flipping Ollie’s expanding like crazy on the east coast 

39 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I think it's online only now. Stores have closed.

Are ya starting to see now how this could be approached? HHGregg resurfaced in 2017 as an online direct to you company.. They need to be marketed to folks in order for them to grow. DCI could present that information all over the country to hundreds of thousands of people in exchange for a sponsorship. They may say no. But has anyone at DCI approached them with the idea with both passion and sincerity? Likely not! Here is the website: https://hhgregg.com/

Edited by Stu

5 hours ago, Stu said:

see above long post