Vic Firth/Zildjian no longer DCI partner

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not thinking of sponsorships just wondering how DCI ranks with the groups you mentioned. I’ve been at Williamsport during Little League week and seen the circus (including the nationwide televised one).

This is a guess, but I would venture to say that the DCI organization directly involves more people in the performing groups, logistical groups, paid live spectators, and wider coast to coast range than the varsity cheerleading organization and maybe the soccer organization. TV exposure may be different. But that is just a guess.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would love to know who all DCI approaches regarding corporate sponsorship and what their actual pitch is. I have literally NO background in marketing / advertising so I can't even imagine what a pitch would look like for our activity. 

That actually is a really #### good question. DCI doesn't sell out stadiums. I am imagine the reasons being that 1) It's a niche activity even compared to Marching Band and 2) Tickets are actually pretty cost prohibitive for the average person. Ticket prices are easily up there with many concerts and out of reach for the younger crowd (as has been said many times on this forum.) That being said, seats probably don't generally fill for any but the large regionals. I know DCI offers a group rate to try to attract larger groups, but at $30 to $60 per ticket (at least that's what I remember for smaller shows,) It's just not that accessible and I would guess that some of the advertisers that were posted just aren't going to spending their advertising dollars on the small crowds. My personal opinion for a LONG time has been that DCI needs to reduce ticket prices to get the fans in the seats. I also remember log, long ago, that shows were piched on the local news here in Chattanooga (we had several back in the 80's around the area,) but I'm not certain if DCI even seeks out that coverage anymore. 

For a while they got McDonalds and Tombstone, however that was to pay for TV time. I will bet a dollar to a doughnt that nobody at DCI, or BOA or WGI for that matter, has ever even imagined getting outside the marching arts box and approach Bubba Burger or Boudreaux Butt paste for regular corporate sponsorship.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Stu said:

For a while they got McDonalds and Tombstone, however that was to pay for TV time. I will bet a dollar to a doughnt that nobody at DCI, or BOA or WGI for that matter, has ever even imagined getting outside the marching arts box and approach Bubba Burger or Boudreaux Butt paste for regular corporate sponsorship.

Well, I know for sure that you're wrong but that's not the point.

The point is that, while all of marching arts may present an eyeball opportunity worth sponsoring, but DCI's half-million eyeballs barely moves the meter in most corporate spending plans.

Your ideas are, obviously, not invalid though.  It's the execution based on deliverables where the promise to sponsors breaks down.

11 minutes ago, garfield said:

The point is that, while all of marching arts may present an eyeball opportunity worth sponsoring, but DCI's half-million eyeballs barely moves the meter in most corporate spending plans.

I'd argue that DCI has many more eyeballs than they think/know they do, but they fail to capitalize on the prevalence of band geeks as a total portion of American society. It would be a huge effort on their part to coordinate a campaign that brought marching band/drum corps/winter guard geekery out of the shadows and showed it to be as common as it is, but the result would be worth it, in terms of identifying and monetizing it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Tombstone made their Bucks off of band fund raisers selling their frozen pizzas, so I personally wouldn't count them as outside the activity.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

It's the execution based on deliverables where the promise to sponsors breaks down.

What kinds of things would a sponsor desire in terms of 'delieverables'? Appearances/performances are obvious, but what else? Maybe both sides aren't certain of it or need to think deeper about it..

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Well, I know for sure that you're wrong but that's not the point.

So you know for sure that DCI has in fact attempted to secure Boudreaux's Butt Paste and Bubba Burger as corporate sponsors. Interesting.

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Your ideas are, obviously, not invalid though.  It's the execution based on deliverables where the promise to sponsors breaks down.

You are correct it is about exicuition on deliverabilities. But Gar if DCI would dedicate someone who is honest and personable to go after say the Forbes list of America's 100 Most Promising Companies, or other lists of small companies on the rise, instead of well known big kahuna companies, both DCI and those smaller companies would have great symbiotic relationships. Yes it will take time, effort, sacrafice, and dedication. But in the end it would be profitable for all involved, including the person closing the deals.

12 hours ago, gbass598 said:

How has nobody mentioned Arby’s in this topic of potential sponsors?

i didn't feel like upsetting my stomach

• Haha 1